Pro 3 SE - Loud cracking popping noise - TWO units in a row...

Hi all,

My first pro 3 se I received a week ago had loud cracking noise when turned on (maybe 8 out of 10 times), which results in it being unusable. When it does work properly, everything is fine, but then when I reboot it, it most likely happens again. Contacted support and Sweet Water sent a replacement super quickly (big up to Sweet Water's customer service).
But today I received my placement unit, and guess what? Yes, almost exactly the same thing happened. The first boot up was fine, no noise no cracks. As I was playing and testing things, the cracking popping noise started to slowly creep up, it was bearable at first and I thought it was just go away, but it didn't, it got worse to the point I had to turn it off.
I rebooted it and same behavior as my first unit, I press any note , and a loud cracking hiss noise would start to come out. Btw, this was all just tested through plugging the power cables in the wall outlet, and using studio headphones directly into the Pro 3, I haven't even had a chance to hook it up to my audio interface + speakers.

I am devastated because I've been looking forward to using this synth and its the perfect machine I was looking for to add into my workflow and music production.
I've also tried to find solutions regarding this issue online, I know some people have similar issues and stuff, but what is the solution to this?
Am I really just unlucky for receiving 2 defected units in a row? The OS on my replacement unit is the latest btw.
Is there something wrong with this particular batch that produced or something?
I don't want to give up on the pro 3 yet, I haven't even had a chance to really start.

Would love to hear any feedback or suggestions. :-\

bam

Re: Pro 3 SE - Loud cracking popping noise - TWO units in a row...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 08:04:21 AM »
I had the same issue with mine. I’m certain, your description matches mine to a T. 

I returned it after finding  one locally on reverb.

Hang in there, maybe find a used one, this thing rips. 

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 07:12:19 PM »
Check the Pro 3 serial numbers, you may have gotten two that were relatively close in production. There were some of these that had defective main or voice boards. My first one was like that, and I returned it. The second one had a much later serial # and came straight from a new batch from California, and that one has been great so far. Don't give up yet, it's a great synth with a few personalities!

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023, 06:36:48 PM »
Hi all,

My first pro 3 se I received a week ago had loud cracking noise when turned on (maybe 8 out of 10 times), which results in it being unusable. When it does work properly, everything is fine, but then when I reboot it, it most likely happens again. Contacted support and Sweet Water sent a replacement super quickly (big up to Sweet Water's customer service).
But today I received my placement unit, and guess what? Yes, almost exactly the same thing happened. The first boot up was fine, no noise no cracks. As I was playing and testing things, the cracking popping noise started to slowly creep up, it was bearable at first and I thought it was just go away, but it didn't, it got worse to the point I had to turn it off.
I rebooted it and same behavior as my first unit, I press any note , and a loud cracking hiss noise would start to come out. Btw, this was all just tested through plugging the power cables in the wall outlet, and using studio headphones directly into the Pro 3, I haven't even had a chance to hook it up to my audio interface + speakers.

I am devastated because I've been looking forward to using this synth and its the perfect machine I was looking for to add into my workflow and music production.
I've also tried to find solutions regarding this issue online, I know some people have similar issues and stuff, but what is the solution to this?
Am I really just unlucky for receiving 2 defected units in a row? The OS on my replacement unit is the latest btw.
I don't want to give up on the pro 3 yet, I haven't even had a chance to really start.

I sure hate to hear this about the “cracking and popping” but unfortunately you’re not alone. I also purchased the PRO3 SE from Sweetwater when that last batch came in. Mine was fine for a couple days then I ended up getting this horrid “Static” or “distortion” sound sometimes after power up. I also have an exchange coming from Sweetwater. Let me guess. I bet your serial number is in the 1600’s? Anyway, I really hope we get this sorted out but I’m getting worried.

Here is the sound I am getting. All I did was go through some presets and one sequenced preset. I think the audio speaks for itself.

Don’t play this to loud or you could damage your monitors or headphones not to mention your hearing.

Regards

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2023, 07:09:04 PM »
I should mention, mine was the regular Pro 3, not the SE. Not sure it makes a difference.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2023, 07:48:50 PM »
Hey, sorry I missed that your unit was not the SE. but we obviously have the same issue going on. There is no difference internally between the Pro3 and Pro3 SE. Only the cosmetic appearance on the SE is different. Such as wood end caps, tilting panel, and screen printing on the face of the panel. Let me know how things progress for you. Take care.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2023, 12:25:25 AM »
Hey, sorry I missed that your unit was not the SE. but we obviously have the same issue going on. There is no difference internally between the Pro3 and Pro3 SE. Only the cosmetic appearance on the SE is different. Such as wood end caps, tilting panel, and screen printing on the face of the panel. Let me know how things progress for you. Take care.

Hey, I have the regular Pro 3 and mine is working great. The first one I had had other problems, but not the clicking/popping. Just pointing out it could be related to a bad batch. I guess the second one I got did not have the problem. Had a similar problem quite a long time ago with my Waldorf Blofeld keyboard, and that was quite the odyssey. I had an extended warranty on that, and it ended up getting repaired under warranty with a new motherboard, and has been good ever since. Wonder if this is similar issue?

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 01:46:53 PM »
yes, same issue with two pro 3 SE I got in a row from Sweetwater.
reached out to sequential and sent the second one to them for fix and its coming back soon, hopefully no more of this problem, although I am kind of skeptical about at this point. Very scared that it will just come out again out of nowhere in the future, fingers crossed.
I feel like the Non SE versions have less of these problems, but then again I feel like its the recent batches that have more problems.

Hi all,

I sure hate to hear this about the “cracking and popping” but unfortunately you’re not alone. I also purchased the PRO3 SE from Sweetwater when that last batch came in. Mine was fine for a couple days then I ended up getting this horrid “Static” or “distortion” sound sometimes after power up. I also have an exchange coming from Sweetwater. Let me guess. I bet your serial number is in the 1600’s? Anyway, I really hope we get this sorted out but I’m getting worried.

Here is the sound I am getting. All I did was go through some presets and one sequenced preset. I think the audio speaks for itself.

Don’t play this to loud or you could damage your monitors or headphones not to mention your hearing.

Regards

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2023, 02:54:33 PM »
Did this get resolved after sending it back? Perhaps they now know how to fix it and just send the parts.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2023, 02:38:24 PM »
Hi All

Just received a new SE today and guess what...? Crackling and popping noises. 16xx serial, pretty dissapointing

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2023, 07:52:05 PM »
I wonder if this is due to the structure of the SE’s adjustable panel. Doesn’t seem to be reported on standard units.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2023, 08:00:00 PM »
I wonder if this is due to the structure of the SE’s adjustable panel. Doesn’t seem to be reported on standard units.

It definitely happens on the non-SE versions.  It's some power supply / start up thing. (I've had 2. One was a bit worse than the other.)
I've put up with it, because this synth sounds so awesome.  (Just turn down the audio channel on power-up/power-down.)

But, if the crackling happens while you are playing, that's definitely a real problem. - I think the popping on power up/down is something else. (?)
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2023, 05:53:16 AM »
I had my eye on the Pro 3 as a next purchase but now I'm not too sure.

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2023, 01:26:03 PM »
The problem for me (2nd day in new ownership) occurs after 2-3 hours of playing. The quieter patches start to sound like they are on a vinyl record with clicks and pops. I'm returning this unit tomo for replacement but worried now i see it's not that uncommon :-( Latest op system, eveything calibrated and the prob audible thru headphones jack as well as normal outs.

Ive attached a soundclip
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 01:31:01 PM by Tappy »

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2023, 02:03:00 PM »
Any official statements from Sequential?

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2023, 05:36:15 AM »
Sequential suport say this is a 'fringe issue', easily fixed, but please return the unit to your dealer. I did, I sourced another elsewhere and yup - even worse - like a never ending static explosion turning it on. Both serial numbers were within a few digits of each other. That's going back now too.. Unsure if there is any stable stock anywhere here in the UK now 😵‍💫

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2023, 08:14:26 AM »
What is the serial number?

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2023, 09:53:47 AM »
What is the serial number?

Both were 016xx

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2023, 11:05:13 PM »
I would get one not in the same/similar serial number. It is totally possible for two similar units to have issues. I had an issue with my first Pro 3, then returned it, but got a later model (and serial #) and it has been fine since.

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2023, 09:14:17 PM »
Sequential suport say this is a 'fringe issue', easily fixed, but please return the unit to your dealer. I did, I sourced another elsewhere and yup - even worse - like a never ending static explosion turning it on. Both serial numbers were within a few digits of each other. That's going back now too.. Unsure if there is any stable stock anywhere here in the UK now 😵‍💫

DiscDJStore have brand new stock from 2020. Mine has been fine from there.