My Trigon 6 Review

magikroom

• www.geosynths.com
    • GEOSynths
My Trigon 6 Review
« on: February 27, 2023, 10:32:36 AM »
Hi all, so glad to get my Trigon 6, love the sound out of it and while the OB6 is still my Fav (Just) I just think the oscillator implementation is brilliant.  Here's my Review plus some of the Patches I've made.

https://youtu.be/HsgkEgvpdGM

GEOSynths - Fresh, new sounds for DSI Prophet REV2 (Vol 1 & 2) - Prophet 12 - Sequential Prophet 6 - DSI OB6 (Volume 1 & 2)  Novation PEAK - Behringer DeepMind 12 (Vol 1 & 2) - Korg Prologue - Korg KingKorg - Nord Lead A1 - Roland System 8 & Roland Cloud.

chysn

Re: My Trigon 6 Review
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 06:52:05 AM »
Thanks! This is a very nice overview.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 12:53:10 AM »
An enjoyable watch, thank you for making it Jamie. Love the build, UI and the different filter flavour concept. Don't like the lighter wood, the same old FX options and the price - £3,399 or USD 4,073. Accept that it completes the trio but there's just not enough there for the investment. E.g. It's still possible to get a Prophet 6 desktop for £1822 at Music Matter. The OB-6 price boat has sailed. Will we ever see a return to the prices we once enjoyed?

magikroom

• www.geosynths.com
    • GEOSynths
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 07:20:38 AM »
An enjoyable watch, thank you for making it Jamie. Love the build, UI and the different filter flavour concept. Don't like the lighter wood, the same old FX options and the price - £3,399 or USD 4,073. Accept that it completes the trio but there's just not enough there for the investment. E.g. It's still possible to get a Prophet 6 desktop for £1822 at Music Matter. The OB-6 price boat has sailed. Will we ever see a return to the prices we once enjoyed?
I doubt the prices will go down to what they were, however I do think they are too high at the moment which could be a number of Factors, Parts, cost of Labor, Shipping costs, Manufacturer prices, Dealers price on top.  I have an OB-X8 which sounds great, but it's come down nearly £1k in a short space of time, shows to me there's some over estimation going on.  Great Instruments, but the Trigon doesn't appear to be selling as much as the OB6/P6 have done.
GEOSynths - Fresh, new sounds for DSI Prophet REV2 (Vol 1 & 2) - Prophet 12 - Sequential Prophet 6 - DSI OB6 (Volume 1 & 2)  Novation PEAK - Behringer DeepMind 12 (Vol 1 & 2) - Korg Prologue - Korg KingKorg - Nord Lead A1 - Roland System 8 & Roland Cloud.

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2023, 08:28:53 PM »
After much dithering and much watching/listening to youtube videos, I bought a Trigon-6 desktop module. And, wow wow wow, I love it! GEOSynth's review and patch demos played an important part in my decision. I think they are a fantastic representation of what this synth can do. I bought the Paradox patch set just now. It will probably be at least a couple of weeks before I start playing with them, but there are several patches (from the demo) I know already that will be wonderful. It's going to take a while before I get through the presets and then work on creating my own patches from scratch.

The dithering part of the decision was mostly about whether to get a Prophet 10. Sometime in late 2016, I purchased a Prophet 6. And it has been an important part of my musical life ever since. When the P5/10 rev 4 was announced, I was all in and fully intended to purchase one (and still might at some point in the future). The history, the legend, the raw power, the mystique, etc. of the Prophet 5 has drawn me in. However, I have never encountered a Prophet 5 in real life, so I have not been able to experience that "certain something", that "raw tone", that "power" ... etc. that everyone talks about when reviewing that synth. Every sound that I like that I have heard from the P5 (on youtube and other digital mediums mind you), I can repro on my P6 just fine. I assume, based on what everyone constantly says, that playing a P5 in real life would be a mind-blowing experience. But I suppose that has to wait.

A few months ago, I ran across a video by Alex Ball showing how to re-create patches for three different songs (by Radiohead, Aphex Twin, and Japan). I followed along on my P6 and made what seemed like equivalent patches. And, the one from the Aphex Twin example has become (with some tweaks to my taste) my power-on patch ever since and provided the core sound on my most recent song. I think it is pretty great. So all of that combined to reinforce the fact that I do not want to replace my P6. I don't have room for both a P6 and a P5(10) keyboard. And I'm definitely not getting a P5/10 desktop module (yeah, no explanation other than it feels like that would be a silly choice to get a desktop module of that iconic synth). And some of that need for big knob gratification and raw power has possibly been satisfied by the Minimoog Model D I acquired.

As a result of the "yeah, maybe not a P5 in my life right now" decision, I spent a lot of time looking/listening to other options and landed on the Trigon-6. I'm only a week in, but I am truly enamored of it. It is quite a nice problem to have to try to decide which synth is going to make my next song sound better. And I sure miss Dave Smith. Such a genius. I kind of wonder if the Trigon-6 is going to end up in the highly sought after category of classic Dave Smith synths. In some ways, I of course hope it does, but also, selfishly, I hope not because I currently can make sounds that (to my ear) are different and still very musical.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2023, 12:48:37 AM »
I was kind of bitching for a "more pure" review of the Trigon base tones. (Less patterns and fx.)
This is a pretty good version of that. - Simpler patches, with mostly just reverb and chorus, and then tweak the knobs for a while...  ( - Until the last two patches.)

So, thanks for that to "Mr. Card"...  though, I'm not so impressed with these new oscillators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWIhj_UwVss
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 01:01:10 AM by Elric »
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.