One Analog Monophonic Synth

One Analog Monophonic Synth
« on: February 25, 2023, 04:51:25 PM »
If you could have only one analog monophonic synth , what would it be?
Mine would be the Moog Voyager and a close second would be the sequential Pro3
What would be yours?

Sacred Synthesis

Re: One Analog Monophonic Synth
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 04:54:48 PM »
That's an easy one.  I'd choose the Korg ARP 2600 FS.  For my taste, it's the best sounding and most impressive looking monophonic synthesizer ever.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 05:12:11 PM »
That's an easy one.  I'd choose the Korg ARP 2600 FS.  For my taste, it's the best sounding and most impressive looking monophonic synthesizer ever.

Technically it’s duophonic

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 06:03:45 PM »
I realize that.  But the earlier models were not, nor were the later models duophonic as we define it now.  Same with the Odyssey.

Shaw

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2023, 05:47:16 AM »
Easy answer for me too… a Moog Modular system. 
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

chysn

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 06:30:09 AM »
The question was "if you could have only one analog monophonic synth," and for me it would have to be my MicroBrute. It has sentimental value, and I'd have to hang onto that.

If I could have any analog monophonic synth, it would be a Shared System by my favorite Asheville synth maker, Make Noise.

What's the best hard-wired monosynth? I don't see much of a case for anything other than Pro 3. It can be sweet, buttery, shimmery, complex, or brutal. If it has a downside, it's that you can't see the value of a setting by just looking at a knob. But I guess that's the whole thing with presets.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2023, 08:17:28 PM »
It's not really a meaningful answer because I don't have anything in the way of direct comparison, but I would say a Minimoog Model D. And that is partially (entirely?) because I just recently acquired one of the 2022 editions of that synth. So it is a little bit of "I choose X because I have X".

... going back nearly 50 years ... yeah ... I am old ...

The first synthesizer recordings I heard were made with a Moog; I guess I'm not sure there were other options at that time. When I was 12, I bought an album named "Kaleidoscopic Vibrations: Spotlight on the Moog". And my sister (who was perhaps a bit more sophisticated ... certainly smarter) bought "Switched on Bach". I think these were acquired on the same trip to the big city. I'm pretty sure we played those hundreds of times (once per day for a few years easily does that). I still have that quirky Kaleidoscopic Vibrations album. And I am right now listening to the vinyl version of "Switched on Brandenburgs" that was given to me a few years later. It still sounds fantastic!! During my high school years, I purchased a few Isao Tomita albums (e.g., Snowflakes are Dancing) with my paper route money. I believe that some (most?) of that music was made on a Moog.

So in my mind as I was growing up, the words "Moog" and "synthesizer" were interchangeable/equivalent. And I desperately wanted a synthesizer. But all I had was the STUPID piano that my parents forced me to play. I HATED it. But, of course, it was the best gift my parents could have ever given me. I am one of the least musical people on the planet, but the detestable piano lessons gave me the ability to muddle my way through playing real music. And now it is a complete joy and the focus of many evenings now. I acquired a Prophet 6 in 2016, and that actually filled the "true synthesizer" hole that was in my life. It was at that time that I realized I could actually afford that type of instrument that I was so obsessed with for so much of my younger life.

When the recent Minimoog Model D re-release was announced, I decided that it might make sense to address that missing Moog in my life. So while it probably makes no sense financially, I bought one. And I LOVE it. It is so musical and beautiful sounding. I have spent hours and hours with my left hand playing rich chords on the Prophet 6 and haunting melodies on the Moog in the last couple of weeks. It's weird how well those two synths work together.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2023, 06:46:44 PM »
The Minimoog Model D  is iconic. I don’t think the recent reissue is worth $5000 dollars . Cheaper than some of the used 2016 Reissues though.  Great synth  none the less.  The 2016 reissue was $3500 dollars new.  7 years later the price has increased $1500 dollars. One of the all time great analog subtractive monophonic synths.  Possibly the greatest ever. I’ve played an original vintage Minimoog model D many years ago 43 years ago.