I'm not interested anymore in Sequential Synthesizers

I'm not interested anymore in Sequential Synthesizers
« on: February 25, 2023, 08:23:56 AM »
... unless they make a synthesizer with 2 VCOs and 2 Digital Oscillators and 5 voices+.

Thanks for your attention  :P

And reissue the Poly Evolver rack ffs. Would buy it regardless.

Best Regards
AN ANGRY CUSTOMER.

(no just kidding, still like Sequential)

Sacred Synthesis

Re: I'm not interested anymore in Sequential Synthesizers
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 02:18:38 PM »
You may not be alone in this.  I haven't played a new Dave Smith synthesizer since the Prophet 12 was in production.  Then again, I don't seem to like the new instruments as much as the old.  I have a fondness for the older days of DSI - the glory days of the Evolvers and the Prophet '08 and its derivatives.  I would have been happy if the company had stopped right there and simply maintained those two lines of synthesizers.  Ah well....

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 05:53:59 AM »
Oh, wow, didn't expect a positive reply ! Partly because I was in a certain "troll mood" and formulated my post accordingly hehe. But yes, I'm serious about the fact that I would like to see a new hybrid synthesizer. I , and maybe you too, hoped atleast for a polyphonic Prophet 3 or something beyond that.

I get the new synths, the new Oberheim, the Prophet 5 reissue, that's all nice, no doubt. However, I will not buy any of them. ( I got 5 Sequential synths already)

And one thing I don't get is that companies never do reissues of their post year 2000 synths. If the premise is correct that the analog market grew the last 2 decades, there should be new people interested in proven designs ? And furthermore, the complete design has already been done, so that won't cause any costs anymore. Is this to much a risk to produce, say, 500 new poly evolver racks, Mophos, or 500 Moog Sirins, Slim Phattys etc. ?

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 11:51:02 AM »
(no just kidding, still like Sequential)

I think producing the Trigon was an interesting tangent, and I wonder where the company will go from here.
Previously, Dave had stuck to his wheelhouse with Curtis-inspired filters for most of the lineup. Tom Oberheim collaborations still made sense, because well, Tom was directly involved.

But then all of the sudden, here's a new poly with Moog-inspired ladder filters. And this was still a Dave Smith product. It started development before his passing. I never imagined they would go in that direction. But now I wonder, are we going to get the P6 framework remade in other flavors too? Roland? Yamaha CS-80? How about a poly WASP?

If anyone at Sequential is taking requests, I might as well throw this out there.
Take the OB-6 exactly as it is, but put Jupiter 6 filters in it. The kind with 24/12db/BP/HP options like the modular System80 860 mkII filter. https://system80.net/product/860-mk2/

Holy s#*t I would buy that in an instant. I'm quite excited just even thinking about how that would sound.

chysn

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2023, 11:59:50 AM »
But then all of the sudden, here's a new poly with Moog-inspired ladder filters. And this was still a Dave Smith product. It started development before his passing. I never imagined they would go in that direction.

They basically did a trilogy of polysynths featuring the three Pro 3 filters. It will be interesting to see if they extend this group further.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2023, 12:52:01 PM »
But then all of the sudden, here's a new poly with Moog-inspired ladder filters. And this was still a Dave Smith product. It started development before his passing. I never imagined they would go in that direction.

They basically did a trilogy of polysynths featuring the three Pro 3 filters. It will be interesting to see if they extend this group further.

What else could they do in this form factor/group?

Some Japanese synth designs? (Roland, Yamaha).

Actually I just had an odd idea.....a polyhphonic synth based around the Buchla architecture. Image how bizarre that would sound.

I can't see them doing wavetable or FM with this form factor...those seem more along the lines of a Prophet X, REV2, Prophet 12 type of UI.

chysn

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2023, 01:26:08 PM »
Actually I just had an odd idea.....a polyhphonic synth based around the Buchla architecture. Image how bizarre that would sound.

One thing I learned from studying modular synthesis is that there are zillions of great tools that get left out of hard-wired synths, and for no particularly good reason. From Dave Smith's DSI Modular efforts, as well as his public statements, it's clear that he never really grokked modular synthesis. The Buchla universe is definitely fertile ground for ideas, though. Let's bring some of that West Coast to... um... San Francisco!

As for this series of instruments--if they were to continue it--I think a version with a Juno filter is a logical next step.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2023, 01:28:56 PM »

One thing I learned from studying modular synthesis is that there are zillions of great tools that get left out of hard-wired synths, and for no particularly good reason. From Dave Smith's DSI Modular efforts, as well as his public statements, it's clear that he never really grokked modular synthesis. The Buchla universe is definitely fertile ground for ideas, though. Let's bring some of that West Coast to... um... San Francisco!

As for this series of instruments--if they were to continue it--I think a version with a Juno filter is a logical next step.

I do wonder if Roland and Yamaha would have propriety on those designs though.

In regards to Buchla designed synths....I'm looking at the Korg Volca Modular and I'm now thinking it might be a bit too cumbersome to put it into this Sequential 6 form factor....plus I'm not sure how well it would work sonically. There may very well be a reason West Coast synthesis has remained monophonic over the years.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 01:33:32 PM by LoboLives »

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2023, 03:37:28 PM »
My first true poly was an OBXa, followed by an OB8. I learned on, and have always loved the paddles. Later, I couldn't get the same responsiveness from a Roland lever (the bend left/right, mod up format) nor wheels. The paddle two-finger motion has always felt so natural.

Seeing a previous post (2020) suggesting mini paddles on a desktop and now seeing that the desktop OBX8 is out without mini paddles, I was wondering about Oberheim making a more generic 61-key controller with velocity-sensitive, aftertouch and a few controls like DAW commands, maybe 8 mappable switches, knobs, and those WONDERFUL paddles? Some of the other left hand features (bend Osc 2 on/off, 1 step/1 octave bend, an arpeggiator, mappable LFO knob with on/off and rate) would be nice, too.

Thank you. 

g3o2

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2023, 05:30:29 PM »
I have never enjoyed that Roland lever either - it’s not really a control. Korg Kronos’s joystick is much more satisfying to perform with. I also like vertical ribbon strips, which allow lovely trills upon fast repeated finger pressure and I guess that OB-X8’s paddles would enable such trills as well.

Speaking of expressive controls, Sequential has not ventured into polyAT “key-bed” territory, yet. With a flexible mod matrix à la P12, this could be put to great use.

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2023, 11:39:19 PM »

Speaking of expressive controls, Sequential has not ventured into polyAT “key-bed” territory, yet. With a flexible mod matrix à la P12, this could be put to great use.

I think it’s on the menu but I do think they are trying to determine what type of synth engine to put it on. I think a VCO/Wavetable hybrid poly synth would be a no brainer, especially if it incorporated morphing technology...but I’m also sceptical about Sequential doing anything outside the ordinary again since the Focusrite acquisition. They may be delegated to doing only analog going forward (Take 5, Trigon 6) as there may be a bit too much overlap with Novation’s FM, Wavetable, hybrid products. They may just want to keep them separated and have each brand handle a specific form of synthesis. I suppose they could do a poly after touch analog poly synth...I don’t think there’s any on the market currently. Everything with poly aftertouch these days seems to be digital oscillator based.

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2023, 02:15:47 AM »
I’d be all over a 5-octave(+) poly aftertouch analogue synth from Sequential. (Currently eyeing up the Super Gemini (though FPGA/analogue hybrid).)