Logic Pro MIDI feedback loop.

SteveIT

Logic Pro MIDI feedback loop.
« on: February 24, 2023, 12:43:10 PM »
HI,
I need help setting up my Take 5 and Logic Pro (MIDI/USB).
My problem is the Local.
By setting Off I can't change the presets and the synth becomes unresponsive.
By setting Key/Wheels Off everything seems ok, but I can't use the Arp Notes function.
Can anyone please help me?
Thank you
Steve

Re: Logic Pro MIDI feedback loop.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 11:03:52 AM »
I'm curious about this too. It's been a while since I tried to record an arpeggiated track synced to Logic, but in my notes I wrote:

So with MIDI Arp Notes on we can not record a MIDI track in Logic that uses an actively playing arpeggiator.

Don't know if that assertion is true, it probably should've ended with a question mark rather than period, but at the time I failed to find a way to make it work. I think I ended up accomplishing an arpeggiator recording using free time and aligning notes to the grid after the fact.

I feel like I have a decent enough understanding of Logic when keeping it all in the box, but am having a hard time integrating my hardware synths with a workflow that doesn't get in the way of actually making music. Look forward to hearing what other owners have to say, but you might also ask here https://www.logicprohelp.com/forums/forum/1-logic-pro/.

Re: Logic Pro MIDI feedback loop.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 04:40:50 PM »
HI,
I need help setting up my Take 5 and Logic Pro (MIDI/USB).
My problem is the Local.
By setting Off I can't change the presets and the synth becomes unresponsive.
By setting Key/Wheels Off everything seems ok, but I can't use the Arp Notes function.
Can anyone please help me?
Thank you
Steve

Hey Steve,

I figured out what we were missing.

The following assumes you've set the Clock Mode Out to In and Clock Cable In to the MIDI interface (MIDI or USB) currently in use.

First off, you probably want to use Local Off for most of your work with the Take 5 in Logic if you are not using a separate kbd controller, as this prevents MIDI loops and resultant phase/polyphony issues and other weirdness.

However, that won't work for arpeggiator performance recording because the arpeggiator only works with Local On. Unfortunately, when Arp Notes is enabled you get a MIDI feedback loop that either prevents the feature from working at all or does so erratically. The fix for this is to decouple the Take 5 from the destination target in your External Instrument plugin.

Lastly, you need to configure Logic to assign a MIDI clock output to the Take 5, this is done in the Project Settings Sync > MIDI tab where a destination needs to be set to your Take 5, and the adjacent Clock checkbox needs to be ticked.

Now, when you start recording your arpeggiator will run at Logic's set tempo and notes will be cleanly recorded on a track. To hear it play back, you'll need to recouple your Take 5 in the External Instruments plugin destination setting.

I've attached a couple screen grabs of the External Instrument plugin and Project Settings Sync > MIDI tab  -- hope this helps.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 04:43:19 PM by lewisfrancis »