Using sequencer while midi slave - how to start sequence?

Using sequencer while midi slave - how to start sequence?
« on: February 22, 2023, 12:07:55 AM »
Hi,  I am curious why the sequences on the rev2 do not play when setting the rev2 MIDI Clock to Slave.  I selected the correct cable setting and indeed my rev2 display now shows blanks where the BPM was previously displayed, indicating that the rev2 is receiving a clock signal.   But the sequencer play button does not start the sequence.  I am connecting the rev2 to my yamaha montage as the master clock.  I was imagining I would be able to turn up the BPM on my yamaha and the sequence would play faster. 

The yamaha is set to transmit both clock out and MIDI messages.  It has a PLAY button, but that does not seem to start the rev2's sequencer either. 

Any help is appreciated!

Re: Using sequencer while midi slave - how to start sequence?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 11:19:59 AM »
Something else I tried - I also have a Pro3.  I connected my rev2 as master clock to my pro3 as MIDI slave and the same thing happened, I could not play the sequences stored on the pro3.  So I guess this is the intended behavior...   I could play the rev2 sequences thru the pro3 with this configuration, but I thought syncing a MIDI clock could just allow each synth to still play it's own sequences.  Why doesn't it work like this??

From what I have tried so far, all MIDI can do is make all the synths using MIDI play the same notes?  That seems seriously limited to what I thought MIDI was good for...   Perhaps if they are all on different channels I could send out different sequences to them, but I was not trying to involve a laptop in this setup, just trying to do pure synth jams here.  If anyone knows more about this please chime in!!   

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 12:19:46 PM »
Recommendations:

1. Make sure you're using the latest firmware (1.2.0)
https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,1531.0.html

2. In Globals you should see options for "In" and "In No S/S"
If you want external MIDI start stop messages to trigger the sequencer, then choose the regular "In" option. 

3. Also, of course, look through the other Global settings and make sure the MIDI in is set correctly (USB vs DIN) and that the Channel is the same as the device transmitting MIDI clock and start/stop messages.

Note:  There are two different types of sequencer mode that you can use on the Rev2.  The Polyphonic sequencer is a note sequencer.  OR you can switch it to Gated Seq Mode for modulation sequencing.  Based on your post, I'm guessing you're intending to use the Poly Sequencer / Note Sequencer.  So just make sure the patches you are using are in that mode.   
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 12:21:18 PM by creativespiral »

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023, 02:49:12 PM »
Ok well figured it out eventually.  I swear I tried all combinations earlier, but anyway I will post the settings of the rev2 in case anyone has this trouble.

Rev2 Global settings: (using MIDI CABLE)
3. MIDI Channel = All
4. MIDI Clock Mode = Slave No S/S
5. MIDI Clock Cable = MIDI Port
6. MIDI Param Send = NRPN
7. MIDI Param Rcv = NRPN
8. MIDI Control = OFF (because I only wanted sequencer synced up, not to play from master keyboard)
9. MIDI Prog Enable = ON
10. MIDI Prog Send = OFF

Yamaha Montage: (using as clock master)
Utility>Settings>MIDI I/O

MIDI IN/OUT = MIDI
Local Control = ON
MIDI Sync = MIDI
Clock Out = ON
Receive = OFF
Transmit = OFF

I think the hard part is there are no manuals for connecting 2 keyboards together.  If you happen to own 2 particular keyboards you just have to mess with each one until you find the right settings.  Hope this helps someone!!