Is there a better looking keyboard?

Is there a better looking keyboard?
« on: February 21, 2023, 09:04:05 PM »
The 08, like its instruction manual, hides a massive amount of utility in a deceptively modest form factor, doesn't it. Nothing is wasted; everything is accessible. Still looks fantastic and handles beautifully, much more so dare I say than more recent Sequential designs. Slim, solid, full-functioned - it really is a classic.

That's it, really!

Re: Is there a better looking keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 10:48:35 AM »
I totally agree.. every time I see it it draws me in to play. It’s my favourite instrument ever to be honest, always inspiring.

You’re so right about nothing being wasted.. everything is there on the surface, and yet there’s always this feeling of space with it. Everything has room to breathe, and yet it also seems like there’s something to discover. Definitely a design classic as far as synths go in my opinion!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 01:43:10 PM »
Absolutely.  I've been playing the Prophet '08 since the significant year of 2008.  I haven't tired of it.  In fact, I'm hoping to get a second one.  I love its simplicity, and yet it isn't that simple.  Rather, it's complexity is so well designed that it only seems to be simple.  It is a joy to use and a joy to hear.

I also think the Prophet '08 makes an ideal monophonic synthesizer, giving you a full five octaves for elaborate playing or two different patches on a split keyboard.  This really is a dream for a serious keyboardist.

I've often wanted to start a similar thread to this one, in praise of the P'08.  But critical comparisons with the Rev2 tend to get some people annoyed.  Regardless, the P'08 deserves to be remembered and appreciated for the masterpiece that it is. 

And by the way, I do prefer the P'08's appearance.  I think the grayish panel around the window looks classy.  And I also prefer the P'08's display.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 02:34:55 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 02:51:38 PM »
I was going to mention the display too but as noted didn’t want to attract any flack. Two lines, essential change info when tweaking, easy to read, and none of the fragility of oled.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 03:54:23 PM »
..and the red screen looks cool!

The screen was one of the things I didn’t like about the Rev2 - but then again I’m generally not a huge fan of OLEDs on synths. Not a massive deal, but it all adds towards the relationship with the instrument in a sense.

I don’t think getting flak is something to worry about, everyone has different views and obviously the 08 and the Rev2 are siblings anyway and have much more in common than differences, the Rev2 is a great synth too.

“I love its simplicity, and yet it isn't that simple.  Rather, it's complexity is so well designed that it only seems to be simple.”

What a great description, captures perfectly my feelings on it!

It’s strange.. I really don’t like menu diving, everything is pretty much on the surface with the P08 but after all this time I still feel there is so much to explore. I don’t really get that with many synths.

And it’s also worth adding got the best font too!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 04:28:15 PM »
Oh yes, the font.  Definitely dignified and classic.  I was very disappointed with the Rev2's.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 04:59:47 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 04:34:32 PM »
The font! Yes - and that reminds me - Dave Smith instruments with the Dave Smith signature (rather than the rebirthed Sequential logo) definitely sound better. The Dave Smith Rev2 for example - I think the blocky SEQUENTIAL font interferes with the internal electron flows somehow and removes a certain Je ne sais quoi from the equation ;*)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 05:21:37 PM »
I've often wondered if there is a significant number of synthesists that prefers the Prophet '08 over the Rev2.  Perhaps there is, but we tend to get reprimanded for our preference, and so keep our opinions to ourselves.  This thread is a happy change of pace.

I've never played a Rev2 and I have nothing critical to say about it.  I'm just completely satisfied with the P'08, and with one keyboard version and two module versions, I've invested quite a bit in it.  The Rev2 would have to be substantially better than its predecessor in order to get me to make the switch, but I'm just not certain this is the case.  I've listened to countless Rev2 videos, and it does sound good.  But great, better than the Prophet '08?  No, not in my opinion.  So, I haven't felt particularly motivated to switch instruments.

I tend to favor synthesizers that naturally encourage music-making, rather than noise and sound production.  This is another plus in the P'08 column.  There are so many YouTube videos of people making traditional music with this instrument, so that it seems to be a source of true musical inspiration, rather than endless tweaking of parameters.  It gives the instrument a wholesome image in my mind.  But now I wish more synthesists were still using the P'08 and still offering musical pieces with it.

For what it's worth:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-CSFEgC2tTydFcvrBITryRPZHg4tUde5

« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 05:25:05 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 05:24:13 PM »
The REv2 keybed I think is an imrovement, that's about it. I believe it's Fatar - not sure what the '08 uses but it's lighter, more noisy.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 05:33:57 PM »
Yes, a better keybed, double the voices, and a number of capabilities.  Those are the clear advantages of the Rev2 over the P'08.  But for some reason, it doesn't seem to add up to that much in my mind.  For one, sometimes when you're playing left-handed arpeggios to accompany a melody, you don't need or want more than eight voices; eight is just right.  In fact, the limited voice-stealing keeps the arpeggios from getting problematically muddy.  So, the P'08 ends up being the preferred choice.  My point is, sometimes the Rev2's advantages don't matter that much.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2023, 05:37:57 PM »
Has anyone here replaced the Prophet '08 keybed with a new higher quality one?  As mine has aged and gotten a bit thumpy, I've considered a Fatar upgrade.  This would be a question for Sequential staffers, but perhaps someone on the forum has already done it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 06:34:58 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2023, 05:51:44 PM »
Very interested to hear if there's a replacement option. I have a few keys that require a slightly heavier technique else they don;t immediately sound!

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2023, 06:33:58 AM »
The font! Yes - and that reminds me - Dave Smith instruments with the Dave Smith signature (rather than the rebirthed Sequential logo) definitely sound better. The Dave Smith Rev2 for example - I think the blocky SEQUENTIAL font interferes with the internal electron flows somehow and removes a certain Je ne sais quoi from the equation ;*)

Haha.. it’s an incontrovertible argument!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2023, 06:41:42 PM »
For what it's worth, I found th following information about keybeds on Gearspace.

Dave Smith Instruments:

Mopho Keyboard: Fatar TP/9S
Mopho X4: Fatar TP/9S
Poly Evolver Keyboard: Fatar TP/9S
Prophet 6: Fatar TP/9S
Prophet 08: Fatar TP/9S
Prophet 12 (61): Fatar TP/9S
OB-6: Fatar TP/9S

LPF83

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2023, 04:00:08 AM »
For what it's worth, I found th following information about keybeds on Gearspace.

Dave Smith Instruments:

Mopho Keyboard: Fatar TP/9S
Mopho X4: Fatar TP/9S
Poly Evolver Keyboard: Fatar TP/9S
Prophet 6: Fatar TP/9S
Prophet 08: Fatar TP/9S
Prophet 12 (61): Fatar TP/9S
OB-6: Fatar TP/9S

I bought my OB6 and P6 within a year of each other, and there is a very subtle difference in the feel of the keys (OB6 feels slightly less weighty or solid).  I don't know how much of that is due to manufacturing variance or similar, because one person on this board a few years back told me I was crazy that they are the same keyboard (interestingly he owned neither) while others who owned both confirmed they felt differences too.  My Rev2 and Prophet 10 also feel slightly different from the P6/OB6.  All four of these keyboards have a very similar feel, yet I would be able to instantly recognize which is which just by the key weight in a blind test.  The Pro2, which I believe is the same keybed as the Prophet 12, feels completely different and quite inferior to all of the above.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2023, 12:14:43 PM »
I have two Prophet '08 Keyboards, and their respective feels are quite different.

chysn

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2023, 12:34:09 PM »
My Prophet 5 and Pro 3 feel noticeably different, even with supposedly the same mechanism.

Probably has to do with tolerances in springs. I'd guess that Fatar sorts springs by tension, discards out-of-spec ones, and builds keyboards from sets with similar tension.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LPF83

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2023, 04:41:29 PM »
My Prophet 5 and Pro 3 feel noticeably different, even with supposedly the same mechanism.

Probably has to do with tolerances in springs. I'd guess that Fatar sorts springs by tension, discards out-of-spec ones, and builds keyboards from sets with similar tension.

The weight and materials of the case can greatly impact how a keyboard feels (and sounds for that matter) too.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2023, 04:47:45 PM »
What I'd love to know is whether or not these Fatar keyboards are interchangeable.  Can I easily replace my Prophet '08's keybed with another five-octave Fatar?  Is it a matter of a few screws and a ribbon or two, or is there more to it?  Does anybody know?

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2023, 03:06:24 AM »
Yes, a better keybed, double the voices, and a number of capabilities.  Those are the clear advantages of the Rev2 over the P'08.  But for some reason, it doesn't seem to add up to that much in my mind.  For one, sometimes when you're playing left-handed arpeggios to accompany a melody, you don't need or want more than eight voices; eight is just right.  In fact, the limited voice-stealing keeps the arpeggios from getting problematically muddy.  So, the P'08 ends up being the preferred choice.  My point is, sometimes the Rev2's advantages don't matter that much.

Yes I think that’s true.. I think the Rev2 isn’t really meant to be a replacement for the 08, rather an updated version. Hence Rev 2! Of course some may see the extra features as worth it, and fair play if so.