Newby needs help. 4 notes from Main Output, 4 notes from Output B

I have left and right cables in both Main Output and Output B running to a keyboard speaker.  If I strike a note repeatedly, the first four notes comes out the Main Output (which I have connected to a Big Sky reverb pedal).  The next four notes come out of Output B and do not go thru the Big Sky.  Then back to Main Output, etc.

If I pull the cables from output B, it solves the problem but I like using both outputs.

Re: Newby needs help. 4 notes from Main Output, 4 notes from Output B
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2024, 01:10:23 AM »
Welcome!

Output B is meant to be just for layer B so let’s see if we can figure out what’s happening..

When you play the notes can you confirm if it’s voices 1-4 coming out of the main outs and voices 5-6 coming out of Output B? (You can tell this from the 8 led’s numbered 1-8 on the right side of the synth)

Is stack or split enabled?

Is Unison enabled?

Is the Step Sequencer enabled?

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2024, 09:17:24 AM »
First, thanks so much for your help.  Likely to have a few more questions along the way.

Yes, first four notes are voices 1-4 and next four are 5-8.  Perhaps the simple solution is to not connect cables from Output B.

When stack is enabled, it sends sound thru both outputs equally which solves the issue but I'm assuming that you don't always want stack engaged.

Unison also solves the issue but again, we don't always want unison on.  (Unison is something else I don't understand and is a topic for another day).

Also have not enabled or tried the sequencer yet.
Lots to learn!

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 10:10:51 AM »
First, thanks so much for your help.  Likely to have a few more questions along the way.

Yes, first four notes are voices 1-4 and next four are 5-8.  Perhaps the simple solution is to not connect cables from Output B.

When stack is enabled, it sends sound thru both outputs equally which solves the issue but I'm assuming that you don't always want stack engaged.

Unison also solves the issue but again, we don't always want unison on.  (Unison is something else I don't understand and is a topic for another day).

Also have not enabled or tried the sequencer yet.
Lots to learn!

Sorry I should have been clearer - I wanted to ask to ensure that the stack, split, unison and sequencer were all off!

Does this happen on every patch or just certain ones? Maybe try an init patch and see if the same behaviour occurs? (Hold PROGRAM and press +/Yes to do this)

Failing this, perhaps try recalibrating. Out of interest what OS are you running?

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 10:16:27 AM »
It's expected operation that use of the B outputs will remove voices 5-8 from the Main outputs. This is to allow Layers A and B to be sent to separate mixer/interface channels. Using the B outputs on a non-split or stacked patch will still remove voices 5-8 from the Mains.

Described on page 4 in the user manual: https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/downloads/prophet_keyboard/doc/Prophet_08_Manual_v1.3.pdf?765cbf
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2024, 03:57:58 PM »
It's expected operation that use of the B outputs will remove voices 5-8 from the Main outputs. This is to allow Layers A and B to be sent to separate mixer/interface channels. Using the B outputs on a non-split or stacked patch will still remove voices 5-8 from the Mains.

Described on page 4 in the user manual: https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/downloads/prophet_keyboard/doc/Prophet_08_Manual_v1.3.pdf?765cbf

Ooh I never knew that! From that section in the manual:

“Main Output – The Prophet '08's unbalanced, stereo outputs.

Output B – Each of the Prophet '08's 256 programs contains two layers, A and B. Each layer can be a completely different sound and the layers can be
combined as splits and stacks. If you just use the Main Output, layers A and B are both output there. If you plug two additional cables into Output B, however, the sound of B layer will be removed from the Main Output and sent to Output B. This enables you to process the two layers separately.”

I always thought that Output B would only be used for Layer B - but from what you are saying if you have anything plugged into Output B then basically voices 5-8 will go to Output B regardless if you are using a split/stack or not

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 09:22:28 AM »
OK just tested this and it is exactly as Oblong described - if there are cables in Output B then voices 5-8 will go through that output and not the main outputs (which will only have voices 1-4).

Also, when in ‘Edit layer B’ then voices 1-4 still go to the main output and 5-6 to Output B.

I can’t believe after all these years I never knew! I very rarely use Output B hence the reason why, but I have done on occasion but only for recording stacked patches.

It some seem a bit of a limitation this way round, seems to me that it would make more sense to have all to the mains if there is no stack or split, and all voices to Output B when in ‘Edit layer B’ if there is no stack or split. Doesn’t really effect me too much but can imagine that’s a bit frustrating if you generally like to separate out the layers. Guess we’re way too late for an OS update for that though!

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 02:28:08 AM »
Moin,

indeed this is an (in my experience so far the only) error or at least misinformation in P'08 manual.

Outputs A and B do not separate layers, but voices!
If there are plugs in output B,  voices 1-4 always and in any mode (normal/stack/split) route to output A, voices 5-8 always and in any mode route to output B.
As stated above this can be verified by LEDs: Upper row = voices 1-4 -> output A, lower row = voices 5-8 -> output B.
And yes, this results in lacking of voices 1-4, if output A stays free and only output B is used.

This is true for all modes and equals separating layers for split or stack modes only.
In "normal" mode this splitting persists, resulting exactly in Your (myert) observation. And it is always true, no matter if voices are triggered by keyboard, sequencer, external MIDI source or whatever.

This oviously is routed in hardware (or firmware at least): You cannot change this by any P'08 programming available to a user.

Martin

« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 02:37:25 AM by MartinM »