Am I the only one with a P12 update wish?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Am I the only one with a P12 update wish?
« on: August 27, 2016, 09:23:42 AM »
I'm not sure there are any bugs left for the P12 to have fixed, but as I've seen a few OS updates to older devices lately (P08 and Tetra for example), I'm wondering if there will be any updates for the P12 soon?

But also; Am I the only person with a P12, who would loose a leg, for having a feature addition that will give us a modulation sequencer? ... I still do not understand why one of the better things about Evolver and Prophet 08 was never taken to the P12... the modulation sequencer.... P12 excell as a machine for creating complex textures for especially Ambient types of music, and a simple modulation sequencer to route thru the mod-matrix would give so many more options.

So DSI... if you ever decide to do an update, and maybe include a few new features... please consider to include some modulation sequencers like on the Evolver/P08. :)

I know this has been wished for before, and that I'm repeating an old beaten wish... but still... I still want this badly :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Re: Am I the only one with a P12 update wish?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 09:48:57 AM »
Well I would rather they sorted out the P2 first, at least fix the bugs if nothing else.

Not that I wouldn't like a modulation sequencer on the P12!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 12:53:27 AM »
Well I would rather they sorted out the P2 first, at least fix the bugs if nothing else.

Not that I wouldn't like a modulation sequencer on the P12!

I'm not familiar with the P2's bugs ... but of course they should fix what's wrong on that device as well... I'm an advocate for bug fixes (if anyone should be in doubt).

I would not want as advanced a sequencer as the Pro2 though... it's not necessary, and the P12 does not have the physical controls to do it properly... I'm talking only about mod. sequencers to allow a sequence to be routed to the various parameters.

Though, it should be fairly easy to just copy the code from the P2 to the P12 for the sequencer... they use the same CPU/DSP, and I know from looking at the raw SysEx data, that there is more than enough free space left, to allow the sequences in there, even without extending the format.

Mr Kay

• The Disease
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 03:54:37 AM »
As a early P'12 buyer, I can say that the P'12 was largely bug free and the OS v1.3 brang most of the extra features I was asking for, here are the remaining features I was asking for.

- the return of the original triangle as an extra waveshape (it was not "perfect", but very musical)
- the Pro 2's supersaws (but I guess it's too CPU consuming)
- filter enveloppe sustain as destination in the mod matrix
- an "curve shape" parameter for the enveloppes
- an extra BBD mode in the delay section

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 10:06:42 PM »
+1 For a modulation sequencer.

Also, has there been any talk or hope for a polyphonic sequencer? I played a prophet-6 and I was a little jealous of it for that feature.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 02:09:06 PM »
As we have a mature and stable OS, the P12 is more or less feature complete. We've squashed the bugs, added new features, and we're out of code space. The linear FM feature almost didn't make it in because of this, and the most recent update was less than 6 months ago. So it's unlikely there will be another update anytime soon, if ever.

The Pro 2 is the next instrument that we'll be updating.

For what it's worth, the older instruments have not received updates recently. We simply added the latest betas for all instruments to our forum so everyone had access to them all in one place.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 11:33:37 PM »
Well, if an update ever does happen I'll vote for a mod sequencer.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 01:12:33 AM »
As we have a mature and stable OS, the P12 is more or less feature complete. We've squashed the bugs, added new features, and we're out of code space. The linear FM feature almost didn't make it in because of this, and the most recent update was less than 6 months ago. So it's unlikely there will be another update anytime soon, if ever.

The Pro 2 is the next instrument that we'll be updating.

For what it's worth, the older instruments have not received updates recently. We simply added the latest betas for all instruments to our forum so everyone had access to them all in one place.

OK... that makes sense... what about these two options? could these be squeezed in?

1. An ARP mode that play all notes in the ARP list when locked? ... currently you cannot put in a specific note more than once... if that was possible, you'd at least have one sequence.

2. An entry in the Mod Matrix sources, that allow you to route the Arp note/velocity to other parameters than just note-ons.

I of course respect if it is not possible... I just really could use some way of getting some sequenced moving elements into sounds.

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 10:16:41 PM »
1. An ARP mode that play all notes in the ARP list when locked? ... currently you cannot put in a specific note more than once... if that was possible, you'd at least have one sequence.

Are you suggesting an "as played" mode, where the arp plays the notes in the order you press the keys, including multiple presses of the same key while in hold/latch mode? That is a feature I would expect from a modern synth and would certainly hope it would be included on the P12.

I have a P12 module on the way and would certainly expect an "as played" mode on the arpegiator. It is a very useful and flexible way of creating sequences.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 12:52:49 AM »

Are you suggesting an "as played" mode, where the arp plays the notes in the order you press the keys, including multiple presses of the same key while in hold/latch mode? That is a feature I would expect from a modern synth and would certainly hope it would be included on the P12.

I have a P12 module on the way and would certainly expect an "as played" mode on the arpegiator. It is a very useful and flexible way of creating sequences.

Yes that's basically what I mean... though it is not normal for an ARP to work this way... you cannot hold the same key down twice in an arpeggiated sequence normaly.

But the P12 has the ability to "lock" the current keys you press, so that you can play it with just pressing one key down, and then also transpose it by changing that key you press... in essense, that's sort of like a "sequence", and you can also edit the notes individually on the display... only problem is, that you cannot enter the same note more than once in that list, which limits it's use as a sequence.

I just thought it might be possible, without too much codespace, to allow multiples of the same note to be played when the ARP is locked, because that would give you at least one sequence.

I have to add though, that I'd much rather see the ARP's notes and velocities routable in the mod matrix, so it could be used for other things than only triggering notes... if possible that is...

I've figured out though, that making the ARP available in the mod matrix, would only allow it to work globaly on all voices... that would be the major difference to a normal sequence that work independently on all voices... so any routing from the ARP to other parameters would be global... but still it could allow for some interresting sequenced events on other parameters.... even if you still can only have each note once, I'd like to see this routing option.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 12:57:53 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 09:01:28 PM »
Yes that's basically what I mean... though it is not normal for an ARP to work this way... you cannot hold the same key down twice in an arpeggiated sequence normaly.

But the P12 has the ability to "lock" the current keys you press, so that you can play it with just pressing one key down, and then also transpose it by changing that key you press... in essense, that's sort of like a "sequence", and you can also edit the notes individually on the display... only problem is, that you cannot enter the same note more than once in that list, which limits it's use as a sequence.

I have a few synths that allow "sequencing" when in arp hold mode and use that feature very often. It would be really great if the arp capture mode would then capture the sequence to the arp scratch pad!

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 03:47:35 AM »
The only thing i can think of that i wish for is for the "Distortion" to be available in the Mod Matrix.
It is much better than the "Drive" available in the amp section and i would love to have it available for aftertouch

Apologies if this has already been raised and discussed

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 06:10:25 PM »
I just want a channel-per-note mode for use with my Linnstrument, otherwise it's perfect :)

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 09:25:34 AM »
I just want a channel-per-note mode for use with my Linnstrument, otherwise it's perfect :)

You are not alone. If ever a synth cried out to be played with MPE it's this one.

Arps etc can be replaced by a DAW or hardware sequencer, but there is no workaround for lack of MPE.

If we are lucky it might not take up much space to route the data / keep a table of the 12 channels->voices...

Fingers crossed Roger and Dave spot a way to mutually benefit each others' sales...

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 04:10:21 PM »
arp/sequencing+1
distortion in the mod matrix+1

W07

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 05:28:51 PM »
distortion mod dest would be an easy to do yet immensely powerful new feature , ++1

also
!!!! delay all amount (filling 4 slots takes up a lot of mod real estate)
delay all time
osc all shape
envelope sustain amount
fltr velocity, lfo velocity, amp velocity amounts
fltr keytrack amounts
lfo all rate

i've cursed quite a few times whishing for these mod destinations

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 12:19:48 PM »
The only thing i can think of that i wish for is for the "Distortion" to be available in the Mod Matrix.
If I'm thinking of the right thing (thge knob next to the master volume knob on the P12 keyboard), then this is physically impossible, since there are only two distortion units, each for six voices. If it was available in the modmatrix, it would have to be available for all the single-voice sources as well, which wouldn't work.
I believe something similar was raised when it came to stacked voices in polyphonic modes. But that was way back on the old forum.
Best wishes, Ffanci

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 01:03:06 PM »
I seriously don't expect any further updates since the DSP engine is probably already maxed out, nor am I disappointed by that fact since I'm thankful for all the cool updates that have been made...especially the additions to the mod matrix sources and destinations and NRPN control parameters.  I think the engineers at DSI have done a fantastic job giving us an expanded P12 beyond it's original configuration..but...if I had to pick one thing  ;)

lt would be having arpeggiator tempo as a mod destination.  The thought of independently modulating the arpeggio tempos of 2 layered sounds with a different speed LFO on each is enough to get me seasick...but in a really good way 8)
Mutiny in Jonestown, Progressive Rock Since 1987:

Bandcamp: https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 11:50:52 PM »
If I'm thinking of the right thing (thge knob next to the master volume knob on the P12 keyboard), then this is physically impossible, since there are only two distortion units, each for six voices. If it was available in the modmatrix, it would have to be available for all the single-voice sources as well, which wouldn't work.
I believe something similar was raised when it came to stacked voices in polyphonic modes. But that was way back on the old forum.
Best wishes, Ffanci

I thought this might be the case, it is at the very end of the signal path after all.
That's a shame

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 01:28:53 PM »
I am hoping for a more in depth alternatives in global-local control. Four options: On, Off, Panel off Keys on, Keys on Panel off.
Finishing songs is for loosers... *Cue overproduced 8-bar loop made entirely from a processed sample of my tears splashing aganst my empty wallet.