Rev2 sequencer and arp lag behind the clock.

Rev2 sequencer and arp lag behind the clock.
« on: February 20, 2023, 11:00:31 AM »
Ive been playing simple arps and gated sequences using both an Electron Syntakt and a Sequentix Cirklon. I get the same issue with both. It's not by much but it's enough to make any loops sound out and ruin the groove I'm looking for.
Luckily with the Cirklon which is my main sequencer, I can send the notes slightly early (it needs triggering 10 midi ticks early) and everything gets tight but sometimes I like to jam in a different room just writing patches and today with the Syntakt there isn't really a way to correct it so it was very annoying.
I don't have this issue with my Prophet 6 or any other synth so I was wondering if it's a bug. Its annoying that this kind of thing hasn't been ironed out this late in the game.

Kusho

Re: Rev2 sequencer and arp lag behind the clock.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 12:48:23 PM »
Can you try a workaround by making the Rev2 the master clock?

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 01:13:42 AM »
I've already seen that in a video to avoid this kind of problem: you just need to add an empty bar at the begining of the track. This should let the time for the lazy clocks to be inplace.
Not native english speaker.

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2023, 12:30:59 PM »
I don’t want a workaround. I want them to fix it. I use my Rev2 alongside other synths as well. It’s my only synth that lags. That includes other sequential gear.
It also lags when running from sequencers like my Cirklon which sends clock when stopped. Other gear syncs perfectly. This “lazy clocks” thing only applies to sequencers like Ableton and logic that don’t send clocks on stop.

Sequential please tweak the rev2 clock timing (or whatever it is is causing this).

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2023, 01:22:35 PM »
Never noticed that personally. Are you sure it's not due to the length of your cables (midi and/or jack) or the path taken by the signal from the REV2?

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 12:50:04 AM »
First I don't have a solution, but maybe an FR that all midi gear need.

I looked at my daw, response time for REV2 is 3.7ms(179 samples/48k) where you have any reaction on audio when rendering it. It's up there with any midi gear, Nordlead about 250 samples, Hammond about that too, had some yamaha piano that took 370 samples.

So nothing abnormal with REV2 there.

Now to midi clock, which is 24 clocks each quarternote, so dependent on tempo what delays are in milliseconds.

Running at 100 bpm, there is a midi clock coming every 25ms. So just depending on phase of clock +/- 12 ms which is clearly audible. Plus response time of synth 4 ms.

We must remember midi is 31250 Hz serial if I remember correctly. 10 bits each midi event means 3125 midi events max every second on one port, about 3 events each ms. If you chain a lot of synths with midi thru and different midi channels with a flood of notes and midi CC these realtime events for midi clock will get delayed certain portion in there. These are built in limitations. I think one NRPN is 4 bytes and over 1 ms each.

So design midi gear setup accordingly thinking about this. Doing it one way midi clock will be fine, and another way it can lag enough to hear it.

So internally I think all midi gear should have an offset setting for external sync for this reason.
- I think this is all that is needed if Sequential would look at it

On 2019 first time I looked at REV2 I already saw a report on lag on external sync. I bought mine just last year though. I am not dependent on external clock so far, but I understand many are depending on it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 01:00:04 AM by Autosynther »

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2023, 10:42:18 PM »
yes, there is a lag. i use pro3, yamaha mo8 and other synths. no problems with any synth. only rev2 has a short lag.
i hope there will be a fix.
I use midi in/out jacks.
Version 1.2.1
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 11:09:31 PM by seq_user12123 »
Yamaha MO8, Seq Pro3, Seq Rev2/16, Model: Cycles, Moog DFAM, Modular, Akai MPC One, Pearl Mimic Pro, Midas M32R

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2023, 09:21:17 AM »
ok. the rev2 has no sync problem. the mpc (TC) configuration was not right configured.
everything is fine now.
Yamaha MO8, Seq Pro3, Seq Rev2/16, Model: Cycles, Moog DFAM, Modular, Akai MPC One, Pearl Mimic Pro, Midas M32R

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2024, 10:56:29 PM »
I've come across a solution for this issue in a video: simply add an empty bar at the beginning of the track. This allows enough time for the clocks to sync properly, especially for the slower ones.