Supplementary Arpeggiator Manual

Supplementary Arpeggiator Manual
« on: July 14, 2023, 02:21:49 PM »
Hi guys & gals!

In case anyone is interested, I put together a detailed manual for using and understanding the OB-X8's arpeggiator. There might already be one out there, but I wasn't able to find one.

I found the factory manual severely lacking, particularly when it comes to explaining the transposition functions. Anyway, check it out if you want to; I'm happy to take constructive feedback, update it, and correct errors. I'm sure there are spelling, usage, grammar, and convention errors.

As I was finishing it up, I realized that probably the only people buying/using the OB-X8 are competent, intelligent adults who probably already know everything about it because they used it years ago. But just in case there are others out there like me who bought it just because of the sound and found the arp to be a curious, mysterious, and fun little add-on that I (at the time) probably wouldn't use much, this manual should come in handy.

Anyway, Feel free to download/share as you like or view online. The download is a zip file only because the forums don't allow docs, but it's just a standard .doc file.

***Scroll down to find the latest version.***
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 02:16:34 AM by Paul Dither »

LPF83

Re: Supplementary Arpeggiator Manual
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 04:23:22 PM »
As I was finishing it up, I realized that probably the only people buying/using the OB-X8 are competent, intelligent adults who probably already know everything about it because they used it years ago.

Grinned on this comment :) I definitely never used the vintage OB arps, and had already resigned myself to potentially never using the OB-X8 arp due to it's wacky / untuitive nature (even if it is historically accurate, and interesting in it's own right) if necessary.

Even without using the arp feature, I would 100% repeat the purchase of this module if I could turn back time (and recommend to anyone chasing the Oberheim sound).  I am enamoured by its tone and characteristics and never get tired of playing it.

I suspect A LOT of folks will avoid the arp feature or / find another way to arpeggiate if they aren't looking for historical authenticity, but I will definitely check out your manual, thank you for this and I plan to dig in when time allows.  I've prefixed the filename with "Unofficial" in my documentation folders just so I don't get it confused with any official release documentation.

Right now to me it feels like this misbehaving rascal is amusing and results in some worthwhile output yet definitely requires either tolerance or some deeper study to demystify.  Well, the Obie's were known for character weren't they?  The arpeggiator of the OB-X8 is kind of like the Cousin Eddie add-on to the Griswald famly :)

« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 02:14:24 AM by Paul Dither »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2023, 11:46:15 AM »
thank you for this and I plan to dig in when time allows. 

I did take a look at it today and learned a few things; thanks again.  Definitely fun to play around with, but as mentioned toward the end, I'll probably reach for my Keystep Pro to drive the module for intentional arp work with it.  I like sending the note output to the DAW anyway which the Keystep is ideal for.  I also would probably reach for the Prophet 6 and OB-6 to do arps and repeating sequences before this synth, I think the strength of the OB-X8 is in pads/strings/sustained synth sounds etc.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 02:14:40 AM by Paul Dither »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

SMV

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2023, 09:33:46 AM »
Great help. Thank you. I am Italian, so for me was even harder to understand it ;D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 02:14:49 AM by Paul Dither »
SMV

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2023, 10:05:34 AM »
Latest version here.

Changelog
V1.1 – 17JUL2023 – Added changelog, added page numbers, added clarification to the HOLD function on top of page 3, corrected word usage error on page 8. Added “lever box” usage convention to introduction. Document title capitalization. Version/date separation in header.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 02:14:58 AM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2023, 11:35:47 AM »
Thanks for this help. I'd never have sussed all that on my own.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 02:15:06 AM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2023, 11:46:47 AM »
Updated version of the manual to 1.2.

Changelog for this version:

V1.2 – 16OCT2023 – Added Lever Box explanation and included considerations for the Desktop version of the OB-X8, since it lacks the UPPER (9) and LOWER (10) buttons. Adjusted previous change wording to not specify page numbers, as things may be added that affect page numbers. Expanded on the transposition examples to provide all 12 notes’ interval values. Corrected some minor details in Final Thoughts. Plan is to add a “useful links” section in next update.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 02:15:24 AM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2023, 11:12:19 PM »
Thanks so much.. I'm still new on this synth, and the Arp usually doesn't do what I expect it to do. I'll be studying your Manual for sure!! This is great stuff - Thanks again!

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2023, 04:12:11 AM »
Thanks so much.. I'm still new on this synth, and the Arp usually doesn't do what I expect it to do. I'll be studying your Manual for sure!! This is great stuff - Thanks again!
My pleasure! That's exactly why I wrote it - I was like, "What the hell is going on here?!?" And after a bit of experimenting and reading, I got it sorted. I don't think I missed anything, although it's possible things might change with FW updates.