Why why why why all the rez?

chysn

Why why why why all the rez?
« on: August 26, 2016, 05:10:16 PM »
Why all the resonance? I appreciate peeps taking the time out of their busy lives to make equipment demos. But demos of filters shouldn't hurt. I like resonant peak as much as the next guy, but nobody listens to feedback, right? It's like dumping all the salt onto your salmon and calling it "well-seasoned." Just... geez, give it a damn rest. Every single demo. Frakkin' ouch, man.

Just make it a little bouncy.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Re: Why why why why all the rez?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 06:48:28 PM »
I've got four poles and I want to use it!  :D

In general, those of us who prefer 12 dB/octave, 2-pole filters don't run into this problem.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 07:31:00 PM »
How often do you hear filter sweeps that use no resonance at all?  Oh, these are so rich and deep, with no splinters for the ears.

chysn

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 08:44:07 PM »
Sometimes I feel that if it isn't demoed by Nick at Sonicstate, it might as well not be demoed at all.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 08:49:36 PM »
That's why I can't stand demos, per se.  Meaning, videos of people relentlessly turning parameters, showing just how much racket you can squeeze out of a musical instrument.  I would much rather hear one or several sounds artfully used in a musical composition.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 09:17:15 AM »
Yes, you do listen to "feedback" rather often actually... self resonating filters has a lovely unstableness about them, making them good for sci-fi like synth tones that sound old-fi ;) ... also, it's heavily used for making kick-drums...

... I take it, you're not much into Acid music?
If you need me, follow the shadows...

chysn

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 09:41:15 AM »
Yes, I know and appreciate that there are pleasing uses for self-oscillation. And I do want to hear how a filter sounds at high resonance. But in filter demos, it's often all you get, at the highest possible frequencies, sustained for minutes at a time. It's consistent and predicable enough that I finally snapped while trying to get a sense of the Studio Electronics Boomstar 4075.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 12:56:49 AM »
I know... it's comon to really showcase the resonance in many demos... now that I think of it, I do not use resonance that much myself actually... exept for those cases I mentioned... in many cases because the bass is sucked right out of the sound as resonance increases :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 06:37:39 PM »
Sometimes I feel that if it isn't demoed by Nick at Sonicstate, it might as well not be demoed at all.

Yeah, he kicks arse.

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 07:08:37 AM »
Moinmoin,

the "drops" You hear is a resonating filter, add cheap reverb and You are there. I just love the sound of a self oscillating filter. And You won't get a filter to oscillate without resonance...
BTW recorded live, I had to fill a short break while the guitarist had to replace a string  ;)

Martin

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 10:50:20 PM »
That's why I can't stand demos, per se.  Meaning, videos of people relentlessly turning parameters, showing just how much racket you can squeeze out of a musical instrument.  I would much rather hear one or several sounds artfully used in a musical composition.

This is why Jexus made the best demos.  He almost entirely played AWESOME music all the way through his demos, even while he was showing you a breadth of patches to demo the range of sonic possibilities of the instrument.  And the videos were cool too.  Sadly he seemed to not encounter or be able to afford many DSI synths before he disappeared.  Mabye THE Dave Smith can bring Jexus back from the internet-dead to show us all what each new DSI bad boy can really do?