Rev2 - Take 5 and then what...

Rev2 - Take 5 and then what...
« on: February 18, 2023, 01:56:34 AM »
Hello folks,

Not long ago I was asking in this forum if I was insane to sell the Rev2 in order to by a Take 5...

I bought the Take 5, which sounds great by the way, before selling the Rev2, what I did not long ago.

After several months of trying to love the Rev2, I failed. It was too direct and its high pitched sound did not convince me.  So I sold it a little while ago at a very good price considering the quite impressive price increase of the last months...

Now I have a free space in my rack :) (this feeling is thrilling...) and I wonder if it would be better...

1) to complement the Take 5 with an Ob6
2) to sell the Take 5 (!) to acquire a Prophet-6 (I suspect that the sounds of the 2 will overlap...but I may be wrong!)

I am also hesitating, to a lesser extent, to buy a Polybrute, but I am afraid to be disappointed by the quality of the keyboard and its core sound, in spite of the innumerable possibilities of modulations...

What advice could you give me ?

Thank you for your feedback and help !

Enjoy your week-end !

S.

kpatz

Re: Rev2 - Take 5 and then what...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 07:22:30 AM »
Tough decision!  I have a Take 5 and an OB-6 module and they couldn't be bigger opposites sound wise.  There's very little overlap between them beyond both being Dave Smith/Sequential products.  The biggest difference between them is the filters, Take 5 having a 24db lowpass and the OB-6 a 12db SVF with LP/HP/BP and notch.

That said, I think any of the "6" series would complement the Take 5 well, even the Prophet 6.  Though I suspect it would overlap more than the OB-6 does.  Have you looked at the Trigon 6 as well?  It also sports a 24db LPF but it's a ladder filter unlike the resonance-compensated SSI2140 VCF in the Take 5.

Another difference between the "6" series and the Take 5 (at least with the OB-6 I have) is the Take 5 has a more "compressed" sound quality to it, while the OB-6 is more airy, open sounding.  The 6 series also have true analog bypass when the effects are off, but IMHO the Take 5 has better effects, especially the reverb.

This might not help your decision making, but the OB-6 would be a great addition.  Or any of the 6 series.  Are you considering the module or keyboard version?  Trigon 6 doesn't have a module version presently, though I suspect one may come in the future.

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 07:34:55 AM »
Hello folks,

Not long ago I was asking in this forum if I was insane to sell the Rev2 in order to by a Take 5...

I bought the Take 5, which sounds great by the way, before selling the Rev2, what I did not long ago.

After several months of trying to love the Rev2, I failed. It was too direct and its high pitched sound did not convince me.  So I sold it a little while ago at a very good price considering the quite impressive price increase of the last months...

Now I have a free space in my rack :) (this feeling is thrilling...) and I wonder if it would be better...

2) to sell the Take 5 (!) to acquire a Prophet-6 (I suspect that the sounds of the 2 will overlap...but I may be wrong!)

I am also hesitating, to a lesser extent, to buy a Polybrute, but I am afraid to be disappointed by the quality of the keyboard and its core sound, in spite of the innumerable possibilities of modulations...

What advice could you give me ?

Thank you for your feedback and help !

Enjoy your week-end !

S.

Questions like this are tricky (for me, at this hour, without coffee)... you know, would you suggest I take up juggling cats, rabbits or apples and eggs? That kinda thing!

I don't have any experience with the Take 5, so my ideas about the other synths you've mentioned won't be of much use. EXCEPT, I have to say I was really startled by how much I liked the Polybrute the one time I tried it out in the shop. I'm not a fan of the Mini/Microbrute sound, but the Polybrute grabbed me immediately. I'm curious to see other responses to your question from anyone with more ear-time spent with the Arturia.

I'm guessing you do like the Take 5? If it's not a question of $$, then seems complimenting one synth with another is your answer...

doudou26

• owner of a Prophet 6 and a Take 5
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 05:21:00 PM »

Hi,
I own both a P6 and a T5 : I much prefer the P6 which sounds larger, warmer.
But the T5 is a good complement with its compact size, and has pros (many modulation capacities, preset names etc.). It replaces a Minilogue xd that I didn't like the sound, despite its vcos.

May be another synth than the P6 will offer you a more different sound territory if you keep the T5

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 05:53:52 AM »
What kind of music do you make? That's the main question. For instance, I combine a Yamaha CP88 (stage piano with acoustic and electric piano sounds) and the Take 5. But from your question I get that maybe you're seeking for another synth, so I guess modern music? If that's the case, maybe a purely digital synth with wavetable, FM, etc, so that you have a varied palette of sounds? Like e.g. a Hydrasynth.

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 12:57:09 PM »
What kind of music do you make? That's the main question. For instance, I combine a Yamaha CP88 (stage piano with acoustic and electric piano sounds) and the Take 5. But from your question I get that maybe you're seeking for another synth, so I guess modern music? If that's the case, maybe a purely digital synth with wavetable, FM, etc, so that you have a varied palette of sounds? Like e.g. a Hydrasynth.

Yes, very good points. For rock I might combine my Kurzweil PC4 with the Take 5 on a second tier. If you have a poly, how about a mono analog synth? Pro3 makes a good complement. Despite the excellent unison mode on Take 5, there is just something special about a dedicated mono. Look how revered the MiniMoog is, or the Sequential Pro1 for starters.

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2023, 10:11:47 AM »
Back here again...

Let's ask the question differently...
I am producing ambient music.

As I already own a Take 5, would it be more interesting to get an Ob6 or a Prophet 5 (both are in the same price range) ?
The Take 5 is not alone in the studio... Pro3, Matriarch, Korg Prologue 16 and Summit are there as well...

Feedback more than welcome as I am going around in circles with this choice...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 10:14:23 AM by synthury »

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2023, 01:58:10 PM »
Back here again...

As I already own a Take 5, would it be more interesting to get an Ob6 or a Prophet 5 (both are in the same price range) ?
The Take 5 is not alone in the studio... Pro3, Matriarch, Korg Prologue 16 and Summit are there as well...

I would go with the OB6 out of those two choices.    Take 5 and Prophet 5 have much more overlap... both are five voices with 4-Pole filters.   OB6 will give you a different, brighter filter sound (SEM 2-Pole style)

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2023, 02:19:31 PM »
Back here again...

Why get another analogue poly? Or another analogue at all? If you are producing ambient how about something like a wavetable synth (amazing for pads for example), or something sample based (or both).. or how about some outboard gear rather than another sound source, effects, compressor etc..

kpatz

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2023, 08:19:06 AM »
I do ambient too.  The Take 5’s reverb is a thing of beauty, especially if you modulate it subtly in the matrix.

I second hoodoo_ray’s suggestion, supplement it with something different, like a wavetable synth, or something deep like the Minifreak or Hydrasynth.

A Hydrasynth, or an Iridium Keyboard also gives you a poly aftertouch keybed, which can let you use Poly AT on your Take 5 patches (with the new firmware poly AT works on the Take 5).

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2023, 06:59:19 AM »
Thank you all for your feedbacks. I think I will have a closer look at the Waldorf Iridium keyboard !

Have a nice week-end !

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2023, 10:59:49 AM »
Thank you all for your feedbacks. I think I will have a closer look at the Waldorf Iridium keyboard !

Have a nice week-end !

Ooohh great choice. You will enjoy it!