Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave/Sequential

Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave/Sequential
« on: February 17, 2023, 12:56:30 AM »
I hadn't realised that ex-Sequential employee, Bob Coover, was behind the interesting Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave.

Does anyone know if he worked on the X? There's quite a lot in common—digital oscillators, analog filters and the interface looks quite familiar. I always thought that the X could quite easily emulate the PPG Wave given the right programming.

No stereo filters though on the 3rd Wave, which is a shame and the strong point of the X.

Stephen

LPF83

Re: Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave/Sequential
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 03:55:26 PM »
I hadn't realised that ex-Sequential employee, Bob Coover, was behind the interesting Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave.

Does anyone know if he worked on the X? There's quite a lot in common—digital oscillators, analog filters and the interface looks quite familiar. I always thought that the X could quite easily emulate the PPG Wave given the right programming.

No stereo filters though on the 3rd Wave, which is a shame and the strong point of the X.

Stephen

I think Bob worked for Sequential as a consultant rather than actual employee but yeah according to his linkedin page he worked on everything from the Prophet 6 to current (Trigon?), designing all FX or oscillator waveforms where digital osc applies...quite a contribution I'd say.  It seems like a complementary skillset to what Dave and Tony were doing on the analog side of things.  I remember him saying in one interview that he actually offered the idea of the 3rd Wave to Dave at one point to design and distribute under Sequential and Dave wasn't really interested but encouraged him to go for it, so there it is :)
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Re: Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave/Sequential
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 10:49:23 AM »

Stephen

I think Bob worked for Sequential as a consultant rather than actual employee but yeah according to his linkedin page he worked on everything from the Prophet 6 to current (Trigon?), designing all FX or oscillator waveforms where digital osc applies...quite a contribution I'd say.  It seems like a complementary skillset to what Dave and Tony were doing on the analog side of things.  I remember him saying in one interview that he actually offered the idea of the 3rd Wave to Dave at one point to design and distribute under Sequential and Dave wasn't really interested but encouraged him to go for it, so there it is :)

That's frustrating! The X could be so much more, but seems to be abandoned now.

Stephen