Another "should I buy it" topic!

Another "should I buy it" topic!
« on: August 26, 2016, 06:22:49 AM »
Hey guys!

Some of you may know me from the other forums, but I've never been a really frequent user in the official forum. Since release, the Prophet 12 caught my eyes and ears, and I've been considering it for a long long time. Some of the things that made me ignore it for awhile was the whole background noise/bugs hype... I believe the major bugs are gone and some of the add-ons are just too incredible to ignore.

I'm currently doing some ambient and techno mixture music, and the Prophet 08 I have just doesn't fit in the mix. I've heard some stuff on YouTube that made me strongly consider it, as it would fit my music perfectly.

I really love how it sounds, specially for brass type sounds, but using it only as a fun/synthesizing machine. I'd have to sell it to make space for a Prophet 12. Before someone asks me, no, I don't want the tabletop version - there's not enough knobs for editing...

Traditional analog sounds are not essential, but I'd like to be able to play some stuff on the P08 territory on the 12. Is it capable of doing that? I'm also having a hard time to find a sonic demonstration of the 12 doing traditional FM sounds (which interests me a lot!)... can someone share some audio stuff??

Yes, I know that I can find this information in here by searching older topics, but time is against me - I work a lot (!) - so please, help me! ;)

Cheers!
Moog Minimoog Voyager, Little Phatty and Sub Phatty| MI Ambika | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm

Mr Kay

• The Disease
Re: Another "should I buy it" topic!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 11:19:10 AM »
Hi

To answer your question, yes, most of the things you can do on a P'08 can easily be done on a P'12 :)

Here are some soundsets, there are some stuff you can make on a P'08 and many others you definitely can't (sine waveshape, wavetables, more PWM, FM, FX...)
https://soundcloud.com/thedisease/sets/synth-sounds
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:27:27 AM by Mr Kay »

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 01:44:49 PM »
Hi

To answer your question, yes, most of the things you can do on a P'08 can easily be done on a P'12 :)

Here are some soundsets, there are some stuff you can make on a P'08 and many others you definitely can't (sine waveshape, wavetables, more PWM, FM, FX...)
https://soundcloud.com/thedisease/sets/synth-sounds
Thanks mate, just heard the sounds. Pretty decent ones! :)

I'm strongly considering the 12 now (at least more than before - you and Razmo shared interesting stuff, although your reply was smaller)...
Moog Minimoog Voyager, Little Phatty and Sub Phatty| MI Ambika | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 04:32:49 PM »
I used to program a DX7, but this 'Algorithm' with two 'modulater' oscillators both modulating both the two 'carrier' oscillators would not have been possible on the Yamaha, However it is a true FM voice although I'm not sure many of my DX7 sounds would have been considered 'Traditional' FM voices. Really this video is demonstrating a range of timbres available within a single voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PTn2mSeN3w

I hope it is helpful anyway.

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 03:58:09 AM »
I used to program a DX7, but this 'Algorithm' with two 'modulater' oscillators both modulating both the two 'carrier' oscillators would not have been possible on the Yamaha, However it is a true FM voice although I'm not sure many of my DX7 sounds would have been considered 'Traditional' FM voices. Really this video is demonstrating a range of timbres available within a single voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PTn2mSeN3w

I hope it is helpful anyway.
I didn't see that before. Very good video! Incredible to see so many modulation possibilities with the controls, the pedals were unexpected - I actually don't even use one, but now That I've seen it in action I want one. ;)

I really enjoyed the overall tonality of this sound, and it's one of the territories that I want to explore. Well, it is a bit unfair to call it one sound only, since I've heard at least 5 very good different sounds being modulated differently - you really used the maximum amount of stuff to make it possible to create several sounds with a single patch.

Thank you for sharing!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 04:00:45 AM by cr73645 »

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 05:49:22 PM »
Guys, I'm sorry for this topic.

While searching this forum for information, I realized that I had already asked for something similar before.

I'm sure that I can find some very good feedback there, and was already convinced to get the P12. I really want to thank everyone involved in that thread and also for the ones who answered this. All your shared thoughts were really valuable for me.

Cheers!!