Question about Pro 3 SE

tommy

Question about Pro 3 SE
« on: February 15, 2023, 03:29:49 PM »
Hi,

I just bought a new Sequential Pro SE and I still have time to return it.
I'd like to ask about two problems I'm having with the synthesizer. I don't know if this is normal behavior.

The first, when I increase the "PROGRAM" encoder one step, on some occasions does nothing, in the next step of the encoder, now it does change the program, but if I do a third step again, it changes two programs at once , skipping the first one. This is very annoying because this encoder is very used. In principle, this only happens when increasing values, not the other way around. Two other encoders that have a similar problem are the sequencer's "DIVIDE" encoder and Aux Env's "AMOUNT" encoder. The other controls work perfectly

And another problem that I have detected that when it is turned on with the volume at minimum. It makes very loud noises for a few seconds (3-4), much more than just 'pops' and 'clicks' in videos I've seen.
Otherwise the synth seems wonderful (I also own a Pro2, Rev2 and OB6)

In Pro 3 SE I have the latest versions installed:
- Main OS is Pro3_Main_1.2.0.4
- Panel OS is Pro3Panel_v1.1.0.13

Thank you very much in advance,

Tommy

Re: Question about Pro 3 SE
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 04:34:16 PM »
I had a similar encoder issue on the first Pro 3 SE I got, mine was the one which selects the effect type. I sent it back and got a replacement. (Through you can also get sequential to send a replacement circuit board and fit it yourself - I had to do this on my second unit as it had a fault with some lights flickering. All good now.)

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 04:50:50 PM »
Maybe someone can give you a better answer but, yes, that is kind of "just they way they work".

BUT!, there are different versions of the Panel OS that are more, or less, sensitive.

This was/is a peeve of mine and others, that Sequential knows. That's why there are different knob responses from the different PanelOS versions. (Not selectable! -  Just the way they work.)

There is also a complete difference in the encoders (continuous/notched/detent knobs) oddities, and the "pots" (smooth/limited range) oddities.   The pots can "pop" to a final location and change the menu. If you are editing something else with the menu encoders when that happens, you can end up changing a completely different parameter. And you can't necessarily check "Compare" to see what it just was. That's ruined my patch/editing sessions a couple of times. - Though, now that I know how that works, I'd rather have the "live menus" like on the Pro3, than to not have the values shown "live", like the Take 5 does.

As far as I know your 1.1.0.13 is the latest(?)
I had/have another PanelOS, 1.1.0.12 version. I can't remember which is which, so this might be the "looser" or "tighter" version.  But the other way the knobs work is also annoying, in a different way.  :/

So yea...  bummer.  But this synth is so fg cool sounding that I've decided to put up with the funkiness. And I've gotten used to the "fast" (jumping?) encoders version. It's now working for me, but it took a while to get used to.

- Though I'll throw in that I have a non SE version. I suspect that that doesn't matter and the inside quality is the same between the models.

:In fact:  -  Does anybody else see this as much?  -  Have you gotten used to the odd control?  -  Anybody know which PanelOS is the "fast" one and which is the "slow" one?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 05:19:41 PM by Elric »
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 05:28:50 PM »
And another problem that I have detected that when it is turned on with the volume at minimum. It makes very loud noises for a few seconds (3-4), much more than just 'pops' and 'clicks' in videos I've seen.

This is another minor issue with the Pro3.  They 'pop' like mad when you turn them on or off.
You want to turn down the volume on your mixer/output device when you turn the synth on or off.
And take off your headphones!!  Holy $h!t is everybody else's headphone output so loud?!?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 05:36:03 PM by Elric »
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

chysn

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 06:48:57 PM »
Mine makes a little pop when turned off, but it's nearly silent when turned on.

And I wouldn't stand for a funky encoder, it would go back.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 07:03:50 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

tommy

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 12:43:00 PM »
Hi,

In the end I returned my first Pro 3 SE and ordered a new one from my retailer. Unfortunately, on this second Pro 3 SE, I have an even larger number of encoders affected, including a couple of fine tuning encoders that sit above the screen.  :(

Also with this second Pro 3 SE I have noticed that the levels of the left and right channels of the main outputs are different. It can be adjusted on the audio interface or on monitors.

Much to my regret, although this may sound wonderful and very powerful, I am thinking of returning it and going straight for another synth. I doesn't seem up to the quality expected from Sequential.

The two Pro 3 SE I've had have consecutive serial numbers 015XX with the latest versions installed:

- Newest Main OS 1.2.0.4
- The latest version of panel OS 1.1.0.13

Any information is appreciated if anyone has had these problems and been able to solve them.

Cheers !!

tommy

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2023, 02:16:59 PM »
I add a temporary link where you can download some small videos and I show the issue of the encoders and the noise it emits when I turn it on:

https://we.tl/t-BjMftIyZmH

Thanks

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2023, 07:25:55 PM »
I add a temporary link where you can download some small videos and I show the issue of the encoders and the noise it emits when I turn it on:

Thanks

Wow!
Unless you recorded that at very low volume, that is SO much quieter than mine!  I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, many synths "click" when you switch patches, often from the effects settings changing.

tommy

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2023, 12:14:26 PM »

Thanks

Wow!
Unless you recorded that at very low volume, that is SO much quieter than mine!  I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, many synths "click" when you switch patches, often from the effects settings changing.

Hi,

Thanks for the information !!!

The sound that is heard comes from studio headphones connected to the Pro 3 SE with the volume at 0. I don't want to think if I had these headphones on my ears at that moment.

The fellow Rimshot1971 who has a new Pro 3 SE with a problem in its encoders similar to mine, seems to have found a solution with an old OS panel in another forum thread:
https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,6203.0.html
Let's see if I'm lucky too.

Now I just need to know if it is normal in PRO 3 that there is a difference of 2 dB between the right-left channel of the main outputs to stay with me. The test is done with a initial preset (Down + Latch), an audio interface (RME) and TS cables (Roland). Let me know if you also have something like this on your Pro 3.

Thanks !!!!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 12:33:24 PM by tommy »

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2023, 01:40:11 PM »
Hi,

In the end I returned my first Pro 3 SE and ordered a new one from my retailer. Unfortunately, on this second Pro 3 SE, I have an even larger number of encoders affected, including a couple of fine tuning encoders that sit above the screen.  :(

Also with this second Pro 3 SE I have noticed that the levels of the left and right channels of the main outputs are different. It can be adjusted on the audio interface or on monitors.

Much to my regret, although this may sound wonderful and very powerful, I am thinking of returning it and going straight for another synth. I doesn't seem up to the quality expected from Sequential.

The two Pro 3 SE I've had have consecutive serial numbers 015XX with the latest versions installed:

- Newest Main OS 1.2.0.4

Any information is appreciated if anyone has had these problems and been able to solve them.

Cheers !!

Hey man,
I received my first pro 3 SE unit a week ago, it had bad noise crackling issue when turned on, and sometimes when it does turn on properly, after I press a key or note the noise starts again.
I contacted sequential and Sweetwater was good enough to send a replacement super quickly.
Today I received my replacement and at first boot, everything worked fine.
Then suddenly in the middle of testing features and playing it, the cracking noise slowly creeped in, and just got worse.
After rebooting it, the crackling noise just got louder resulting in not being able to play.
The OS on this unit is the latest...
I'm very disappointed as i was looking forward to using this gear for so long.
I really wish there was a way to solve this.
Is this a common known defect in the latest batch of products or what?
I feel like I might have to give up on this one but I dont find any other synths with these capabilities that I want.

tommy

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2023, 02:13:48 PM »
Hi,

- Newest Main OS 1.2.0.4

Cheers !!

Hey man,
I received my first pro 3 SE unit a week ago, it had bad noise crackling issue when turned on, and sometimes when it does turn on properly, after I press a key or note the noise starts again.
I contacted sequential and Sweetwater was good enough to send a replacement super quickly.
Then suddenly in the middle of testing features and playing it, the cracking noise slowly creeped in, and just got worse.
After rebooting it, the crackling noise just got louder resulting in not being able to play.
I feel like I might have to give up on this one but I dont find any other synths with these capabilities that I want.

Hi,

The problems I have with the Pro 3 SE are when turning it on, when operating with the encoders and a somewhat different output level for the left and right channel.

The noise issue when turning it on and off seems to be common from the first units and this can be more or less intense. Mine in particular has some very loud noises.

Once turned on, I no longer have any noise problems. I don't know if you are using the headphone amp or the main outputs. If you have already tried to do a "Global Reset" and calibration of VCOs and filters and the problem persists, then maybe you have another problem with a component. You can ask Sequential support if you want to give it a try.

The two Pro 3 SE's I've owned are in the 015XX serial number range, in case this helps.

Cheers !!

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2023, 02:29:31 PM »
Hi,

- Newest Main OS 1.2.0.4

Cheers !!

Hey man,

Hi,

The problems I have with the Pro 3 SE are when turning it on, when operating with the encoders and a somewhat different output level for the left and right channel.

The noise issue when turning it on and off seems to be common from the first units and this can be more or less intense. Mine in particular has some very loud noises.

Once turned on, I no longer have any noise problems. I don't know if you are using the headphone amp or the main outputs. If you have already tried to do a "Global Reset" and calibration of VCOs and filters and the problem persists, then maybe you have another problem with a component. You can ask Sequential support if you want to give it a try.

The two Pro 3 SE's I've owned are in the 015XX serial number range, in case this helps.

Cheers !!

Yeah, I've tried the global reset and calibration, at first boot, no crackling noise and everytihng worked, after a min or two into using it and playting, the cracking sound slowly comes back. Pretty sure its a defect in something. Sequential is asking me to send the unit back to them to fix, this is my last chance on this device, if it still happens, I really have to give up.
The units I have are both in the 16xxx serial number range.

tommy

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2023, 12:18:40 PM »
Hi,

I can confirm that installing the old Panel OS fixes the lag issue with different encoders.
I've tested the old version of panel pro3Panel_v1.1.0.0.syx alongside Main OS 1.2.0.4 (latest) and now all encoders work perfectly for me. It is a clear software problem.

And on the other hand, Sequential support has confirmed to me that a difference of 2 dB between the right-left channel of the headphone and main outputs of the Pro 3 is within the admitted tolerance, it is not a fault. I am surprised that no other owner has commented on this previously. This may not happen on all Pro 3, but it's really noticeable and annoying for a synth premium.

Cheers !!!

« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 12:29:42 PM by tommy »

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2023, 08:10:10 PM »
Having the same issue since updating OS.  Anyone know where to get a copy of pro3Panel_v1.1.0.0.syx??
Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I can confirm that installing the old Panel OS fixes the lag issue with different encoders.
I've tested the old version of panel pro3Panel_v1.1.0.0.syx alongside Main OS 1.2.0.4 (latest) and now all encoders work perfectly for me. It is a clear software problem.

And on the other hand, Sequential support has confirmed to me that a difference of 2 dB between the right-left channel of the headphone and main outputs of the Pro 3 is within the admitted tolerance, it is not a fault. I am surprised that no other owner has commented on this previously. This may not happen on all Pro 3, but it's really noticeable and annoying for a synth premium.

Cheers !!!

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2023, 11:49:39 PM »
Having the same issue since updating OS.  Anyone know where to get a copy of pro3Panel_v1.1.0.0.syx??
Thanks in advance!

I have it on my laptop, here we go attached👍
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 12:37:15 AM by Jonah66 »

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2023, 10:03:26 AM »
 :D Thank you kindly!

Thanks in advance!

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2023, 01:40:45 PM »
:D Thank you kindly!

Thanks in advance!

Hope it works, can you update this thread your findings please, thank you.

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2023, 05:03:41 PM »
Sorry for the delay in response.  I never got a chance to try this method as there were some other issues with my Pro 3 that resulted in a return and I ended up buying a new one.  The new one has the same latest OS and Panel but no encoder skipping problems!  go figure...

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2023, 08:16:01 AM »
That’s interesting thank you.

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2024, 10:22:50 AM »
Regarding the encoder "skipping" issue, is this a hardware or firmware issue? My program encoder sometimes skips or doubles when it should go to the next program while other times it works just fine. My firmware and panel OS are up to date. 

This is my second Pro 3 and the first one had to go back because it created a wash of noise after it heated up - serial number in the 16xx. If it matters, the current one I have is in the 18xx range. I've always wanted a Sequential Pro, but I am wondering if things are always this buggy or if I am just having a bad run of luck.