Just Three Synths

Just Three Synths
« on: February 11, 2023, 02:57:20 AM »
If you could only have three synths which ones would you choose and why?
For me it would be the Moog Minimoog Voyager, Oberhiem OBX8 and the Sequential PRO3
Your Milage May Vary  I have more than three synths but these are my top three.  The voyager because it’s a modern version of the Minimoog. Memory, presets,Midi, stereo,filters, vast modulation and sync. My lunar impact has flashing mod and pitch wheels.
The pro3 because it is a modern hybrid mono/paraphonic with stereo effects and the OBX8 because it’s
3 oberhiem synths in one,stereo panning, 8 voice poly that does ,splits,layers,Bi Timbral ,Midi,aftertouch
and velocity sensitivity.  What are your three?

chysn

Re: Just Three Synths
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 01:45:25 PM »
What are the parameters here? Synths that we have now, among which we'd choose three? Or synths we'd have if money were no object, etc.?

Any three, I'd go with

(1) Prophet 10
(2) Buchla Skylab
(3) Moog Model 15

Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 04:21:44 PM »
Synths you have now but ill entertain the other as well. Those three you mentioned are heavy hitter’s. My fantasy synths would be a moog modular system 55 or a moog modular system 35 or a K Emerson Moog Modular.

chysn

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 08:37:28 PM »
Synths you have now

It's an interesting question for me, because "three synths" is more-or-less where I want to be. I have four now (Pro 3, 0-Coast, MicroBrute, and an 84HP 3U modular). Basically, I have four monosynths. I'm considering about eight scenarios for dropping a mono for a poly, but I feel like I'm pretty far away from actually deciding on any of them.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 06:19:40 PM »
Well I have one paraphonic, one monophonic, one polyphonic.  All in stereo the paraphonic also doubles as a mono.
The pararophonic/mono has a sequencer and can arpegiate. These are of course all analog . I have other synths but they are digital. But if I could only have three it would be these . My requirements are that they have memory midi and stereo
After touch and velocity sensitivity is a plus which they have as well. I also prefer VCOs over DCOs .  They all have VCOs.
Except the paraphonic/monophonic has one wavetable oscillator and two VCOs.

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 08:34:45 AM »
Prophet 08, Korg Lambda, Nord Electro. If the last two count!

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 10:58:22 AM »
I think about this often. With so many options in my daily recording life, the notion of imposed limitations is always appealing. Regarding synths, I did have a (very brief) moment where I'd moved my home studio from one room to another, bringing only the Prophet 5 and Moog Grandmother with me. Those two made for a great pair, sonically and aesthetically. I think I'd still wish for those two to be together. While I adore my Pro One, I use it almost exclusively for bass lines, and specifically in an 8th note synth pop stylee. And while I might be excited about limitations, any combo of synths I use should be about versatility and contrast. I can get the 8th note thing easily enough from the P5. I'd add the Korg Prologue as my 3rd synth. It can do lush, lovely, weird, murky and musical, yet with a distinctive tone I've adored since I first played this synth. It's got just enough MS vibe as well, for those moments I need the MS10 cat yowl happening. Anyway, yeah - the P5, Grandmother and Prologue would be my three synth picks.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 12:03:34 PM »
Not sure if drum machines count but I'll include them.

Of current manufactured gear/gear that I have (But could always change-the John Bowen Solaris is a really close runner up, especially if it had an expander with it)

Prophet X Sampler
Sonicware-Liven Lo-Fi 12 Sampler (Mostly used as a multi track sound module)
ISLA S2400 Drum Sampler (the Tempest was a really close runner up here but the S2400 is also a multitrack MIDI sequencer so it would help sequence everything as well as handle drum/percussion sounds)

The main issue right now is the synth I really need doesn't exist yet (essentially a polyphonic synth with the VCO/Wavetable architecture of the Pro 3)

Of all time?

Synclavier II (handling all the FM, sequencing and sampling)
Prophet 10 (dual keyboard version) (with MIDI retrofit)
Oberheim SEM 4 Voice (With MIDI retrofit)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 01:23:15 PM by LoboLives »

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2023, 05:01:33 PM »
Did you see the new synclavier that’s out?

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2023, 06:23:52 AM »

Yes. It needs more work I find. Sounds nice but it's missing a lot of what made the Synclaiver II special. I was talking with Cameron Jones about the arpeggiator currently needing improvements.

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2023, 11:42:19 PM »

Yes. It needs more work I find. Sounds nice but it's missing a lot of what made the Synclaiver II special. I was talking with Cameron Jones about the arpeggiator currently needing improvements.
it’s a lot cheaper than the old synclavier 2 which cost as much as a house back in the day. Only for the rich and famous. This seems more democratic in terms of being obtainable

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2023, 02:56:36 PM »

it’s a lot cheaper than the old synclavier 2 which cost as much as a house back in the day. Only for the rich and famous. This seems more democratic in terms of being obtainable

Of course but I would rather have something that isn’t half assed.

Shaw

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2023, 07:42:51 PM »

…. Sounds nice but it's missing a lot of what made the Synclaiver II special….

… like a user interface?  😂
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2023, 05:20:12 AM »

…. Sounds nice but it's missing a lot of what made the Synclaiver II special….

I mean it’s a lot better of an interface than the original in many ways but there’s things like the arpeggiator not being able to be latched, no sequencer, no resynthesis etc. Even the on board effects don’t even include a delay. Just strange.

Don’t get me wrong I want to support them and love the idea of a hardware Synclavier but I would rather have something a bit more complete. Even on their original demonstrations they forgot to include MIDI which they had to rectify before orders were sent out.

… like a user interface?  😂

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2023, 01:21:50 PM »
PEK/PER
Nord G2
Kronos

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2023, 02:35:54 PM »
Prophet '08 Keyboard
Prophet '08 Module (MIDI-ed to the Keyboard)
Prophet '08 Module (controlling a bass pedalboard)
 :D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 02:19:37 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

jok3r

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2023, 11:25:23 AM »
Prophet '08 Keyboard
Prophet '08 Module (MIDI-ed to Keyboard)
Prophet '08 Module (for bass pedalboard)
 :D

I was waiting for this post for several days now ;-) I can fully relate to that, seeing what you are doing with it.

In my case, it would be the Rev2, Kronos and Matriarch (with some patch cabels)...
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2023, 04:39:29 PM »
It would be difficult to have just three synths. I limited it to just my 3 analog synths. The other synths I have do other things well being thier sample based.  They all have their niche . Analog subtractive synthisis is still my favorite type of synthisis. My analog synths also are worth the most, sound great and hold thier value . The one exception is the ensoniq fizmo  I have, a rare trans wave synth from 1997.

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2023, 10:32:34 AM »
PEK:  Nothing else like it, beautiful stereo sound, deep, inspiring, one of my first and I'm attached to it.

OB6:  prettiest/fullest sound of any synth I use. 

Hydrasynth: fullest gamut of subtractive synthesis that I know in a stand alone unit.

Ask me in a year, this might change (except for the PEK) always at my top ;)
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

maxter

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2023, 06:01:33 AM »
Rev2
Hydrasynth
Arp Quadra (?) or something

Lots of various grounds covered, basically, is my main focus here, preferably with nice intuitive UIs. And flexibility. Plus one for its simplicity and immediacy, for good measure.

More practicality and usefulness, rather than just the sound. It’s not about speed, but the mileage…
The Way the Truth and the Life