Prophet5 rev4 overall tone

Prophet5 rev4 overall tone
« on: February 08, 2023, 04:29:46 PM »
I understand that views are subjective but was wondering if the prophet5rev4 is a better sounding synth than say the prophet 6. I know the design is different  with a different feature set . And the P5 is a reissue of a classic with modern updates. I’ve watched and listened to videos comparing the two.
I was wondering if any here  might have both and what they think the prophet 5 rev 4s strong points
are over the prophet 6. Thanks.

Re: Prophet5 rev4 overall tone
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 07:10:32 PM »
I understand that views are subjective but was wondering if the prophet5rev4 is a better sounding synth than say the prophet 6. I know the design is different  with a different feature set . And the P5 is a reissue of a classic with modern updates. I’ve watched and listened to videos comparing the two.
I was wondering if any here  might have both and what they think the prophet 5 rev 4s strong points
are over the prophet 6. Thanks.

Well, of course it's subjective and one person's "better" might be another person's "blah," right? That said, I have a P5 and I have a P6. Love 'em both, but I've always been a Prophet 5 fan. I've never once felt it a limited or simple synth. Besides being a beautiful instrument to look at and to play, it has a sound that hits me every single time. Even with only a single osc switched on, it can make THAT sound. And that's ultimately the test - does it make a great sound that the user finds deeply appealing? For me, the Prophet 5 always works.

The Prophet 6 is trickier and tricksier. Meaning it is a much fussier synth to program. But it can do more tricks than the 5. It's stereo, with effects, distortion and a high pass filter plus the sequencer and arp. If the Prophet 5 is all sweet spot, then is the P6 sweet and sour? Dunno, but I've learned to use the 6 on its own terms. It can do almost-digital delicate and glassy sounds. It can be very beautiful in tone, subtle. The high pass filter gives the P6 a alternate personality, and coupled with the distortion, the 6 can get ugly. I use the P6 as my controller synth - it's practical enough for my purposes that way.

They're both wonderful synths, but a tidy and vague summary of the two, side by side, might that one is much about what it does and the other is about what it IS.

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 07:22:37 PM »
I think I remember reading something to the effect that when the prophet5 rev4 was released that there was a problem with the top end and higher frequencies  weren’t coming thru and that the P5 sounded lacking due those higher frequencies being diminished.  I believe there was a fix offered by sequential. Not sure if it was changing out a capacitor or not. I remember something about the P5 sounding duller because of this. Was wondering what the issue was and if it was fixed. Thanks

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 07:26:46 PM »
I also thought the P5s advantage was it had a longer keybed spanning more octaves? Is it 61 keys?
Wasn’t sure how low the first key was . Thanks

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 04:05:55 AM »
I'm addressing multiple questions in one post here.

Tone: 

I agree with Manbird.. the Rev4 and the Prophet6 are two different synths, each with their own strengths but with a different sound.  To summarize and perhaps state the obvious, I would say that (by default) the Rev4 more directly nails the vintage Prophet sound and the Prophet6 has a more modern sound.  I qualified this with "by default" because the reality is the Rev4 can sound modern and the Prophet 6 can sound vintage, it's just that one leans more toward the other.  I want to point out that neither my P10 nor my P6 will ever be sold, because they are my two favorite polysynths and the ones I reach for first; I think that is telling. Like many I had the P6 before the Rev4, but at no point did I feel like I don't need my P6 anymore... it is still a very special synth in its own right, and IMHO one will go down in history as one of the greatest VCO polysynths ever produced.  It definitely feels like a proper descendent under the pedigree of the Prophet 5, but it is at the same time it's own animal.

Early S/N Capacitor Issue:

Nothing to worry about if you're buying new, it's long since been resolved.  Be aware of serial numbers if you buy used.  Details here:  https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,4747.0.html

Keyboard length:

The Rev4 is 61 keys versus the 49 keys of the Prophet6, but the P6 has a dedicated transpose button (plus or minus two octaves). Although its not up to date with newer products (Trigon6, Take5), there is a comparison chart here you may find useful:
https://davesmith.wpenginepowered.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Sequential-Synth-Comparison-Chart-5.1.pdf

Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 03:22:11 PM »
The Prophet 5 rev4 without any effects sounds like it has reverb and delay depending how its' programmed, it has a naturally deep and 3d sound.  The Prophet 6 has a lot more options and sounds great, it is very warm and a bit more surgical(precise) when trying to program sounds, not quite as lush and wooly as the Prophet 5/10, but is awesome.   I really enjoyed them both, I sent the prophet 6 back because I prefer the prophet 5/10 interface, in particular the knobs on the prophet 5/10 are heavy duty and it is easier to play it as an instrument because of this, had the Prophet 6 had the same knobs I would have probably kept it considering I got the unit at 2799.

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 07:04:22 PM »
I do like the prophet5rev4 look and physical layout. I do like it when large knobs are used on a synth. I like the large size knobs on my moog Minimoog voyager.  The Pro3 knobs are fine on my pro3 although I prefer larger size knobs.  To me it adds to the overall experience of the way you interact  with the instrument. I realize on some synths thier keyboard lengths
And the available real estate  is smaller. On a full size 61 key synth I prefer large knobs and ample space between controls.
The pro3 SE I have is 37 keys to the voyagers 44 keys. The voyager is physically larger than the pro3SE. I guess I prefer a large form factor overall.  Both synths have a great build quality. The pro3SE knobs take a little bit of effort to turn them although I would prefer that to loose knobs.  The keybed action on both is excellent. Thier both fatar I believe and the pro3 feels different than the voyager. The best synth actions I have on all of my synths are the obx8 , the pro3, and the voyager.
I prefer the voyagers action best. I have a Yamaha AN1X and even though it sounds great I don’t like the synth action.
I have other korg synths like the triton and the Z1 and thier action isn’t as good as the obx8 , the pro3 and the Moog Voyager. Heavy duty knobs make a difference. All these things add up to the overall user experience.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 02:43:09 PM »
I had a P6 but sold it to finance and give space to the P5 rev 4 (later added a voice card converted to a P10 when firmware 2.0 was released). Never regret I did.

There are some comparisons at YouTube with similarities between P5 and P6. But it is only shown some sweet spots where the P6 can sound as the P5. The P6 has some wonderful sweet spots when finding them. The P5 sounds great without any sweet spots, just right on as is.

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2023, 02:59:07 AM »
Saw your YouTube video Ambient Pads . You had the OBX8 running with effects. It sounded good.  I was like hey that’s analog prophet , I know that guy. LOL

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2023, 03:30:21 AM »
I had a Prophet 6 once, and didn't much care for the tone. It sounded far smaller and constrained that other analogs I had around at that time (inc OB-6 which sounded much nicer and more vibrant).

The P6 is a cool synth but it's very vanilla sounding, especially for analog, the VCOs are very hard and tame sounding and the filter isn't amazing.

I sold it, kept the OB-6, but then bought a Prophet 10 rev 4 and.... BINGO! THERE was the tone I'd hoped the 6 would have all along but didn't, not even remotely. 6 was very flat and 2D sounding by comparison to the 'real' Prophet 5 sound in the rev 4.

As someone else said, the tone on Prophet 5/10 rev 4 is sublime, it sounds like it has depth and space (reverb and even chorus at times) with no effects at all. It's all sweet spot, a joy to work with and play, build quality is at least twice as good as P6 esp the bolted on pots and overall feel. I easily forgot about the extra toys on the P6 once I had THAT tone, with 10 voices, poly unision, staked/layered sounds (which still gives a 5 voice super prophet 5 in that mode), the feel of the keybed, and even the LACK of effects and gizmos on boad makes it a much more musical and inspiring source for real synth-work in my productions.

And best of all it takes to effects in the mix (or live) amazingly well, probably because it sounds so good without them you only need a little dose of FX to take it over the edge into pretty much THE best sound you can get in a mass produced modern analog synth (better than OB-X8 by far imo). I'd advise the 10 over the 5 because stacking and poly unison sounds amazing... and then you also have 10 voice option for long runs, smooth chord changes... it's a complete dream synth having 10 voices and addresses my issue with the vintage prophet 5s (not enough voices to do everything I want).

Mono output is IDEAL for me, I have no need to have fancy stereo synth output when I can just record bespoke parts and pan them in the mix, much nicer, and easier to mix than stereo synths... and you can easily modulate more stuff via midi CC or add a sequencer/arpegiator simply enough via MIDI.

Basically imo it's the ideal, best sounding, best looking 'only analog synth' anyone could ever choose in modern times and it can do pretty much everything and do it well (other than bandpass sounds), esp with MIDI modulation and after-FX/Filters in the mix to 'fake' bandpass or whatever... I must stress again the sound quality of the base tone is that good that it can be manipulated further down the chain while still sound better than lesser synths that have it all built it and are less sound-mangled later.

Prophet 10 Rev 4 (Keyboard) | Trigon-6 (Keyboard) | OB-6 (Keyboard)

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2023, 02:16:29 PM »
I had a Prophet 6 once, and didn't much care for the tone. It sounded far smaller and constrained that other analogs I had around at that time (inc OB-6 which sounded much nicer and more vibrant).

The P6 is a cool synth but it's very vanilla sounding, especially for analog, the VCOs are very hard and tame sounding and the filter isn't amazing.

I sold it, kept the OB-6, but then bought a Prophet 10 rev 4 and.... BINGO! THERE was the tone I'd hoped the 6 would have all along but didn't, not even remotely. 6 was very flat and 2D sounding by comparison to the 'real' Prophet 5 sound in the rev 4.

As someone else said, the tone on Prophet 5/10 rev 4 is sublime, it sounds like it has depth and space (reverb and even chorus at times) with no effects at all. It's all sweet spot, a joy to work with and play, build quality is at least twice as good as P6 esp the bolted on pots and overall feel. I easily forgot about the extra toys on the P6 once I had THAT tone, with 10 voices, poly unision, staked/layered sounds (which still gives a 5 voice super prophet 5 in that mode), the feel of the keybed, and even the LACK of effects and gizmos on boad makes it a much more musical and inspiring source for real synth-work in my productions.

And best of all it takes to effects in the mix (or live) amazingly well, probably because it sounds so good without them you only need a little dose of FX to take it over the edge into pretty much THE best sound you can get in a mass produced modern analog synth (better than OB-X8 by far imo). I'd advise the 10 over the 5 because stacking and poly unison sounds amazing... and then you also have 10 voice option for long runs, smooth chord changes... it's a complete dream synth having 10 voices and addresses my issue with the vintage prophet 5s (not enough voices to do everything I want).

Mono output is IDEAL for me, I have no need to have fancy stereo synth output when I can just record bespoke parts and pan them in the mix, much nicer, and easier to mix than stereo synths... and you can easily modulate more stuff via midi CC or add a sequencer/arpegiator simply enough via MIDI.

Basically imo it's the ideal, best sounding, best looking 'only analog synth' anyone could ever choose in modern times and it can do pretty much everything and do it well (other than bandpass sounds), esp with MIDI modulation and after-FX/Filters in the mix to 'fake' bandpass or whatever... I must stress again the sound quality of the base tone is that good that it can be manipulated further down the chain while still sound better than lesser synths that have it all built it and are less sound-mangled later.
The demos sounded very good.  If I was fortunate to be able afford a prophet I would go
with the prophet 5 rev4 being that cost is an issue and that I already have the OBX8 .  Having the two would be great  and
would complement each other.

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2023, 10:51:13 PM »
I don't have a P-6, but have a P-5 Rev 4, P-08, P-12, and Pro-2.  Many years ago I had a P5, Rev 3.0.  Sorry I ever sold it.

Each has its own strengths.  The P-08 probably comes closest to duplicating the P-5.  However, each has its own differing modulation paths.  So, there are sounds that each can do that the other can't. 

The Rev.4 nails the Rev. 3 and earlier sounds.  I am really glad that Dave Smith made a reissue with the modern advancements.  The Rev. 4 has the best of both worlds.  The keyboard on the Rev. 3 was horrible.  I used it a lot and the j-wires for the keys would continually break.  Fortunately, .011 guitar strings were a perfect replacement.  So, when gigging, I kept guitar strings with me as well as a solidering gun.  Unfortunately, all those early synths used the j-wire kebeds, and they all suffered the same fate. 

Also, none of us were appreciative of the power of MIDI back then, so we didn't care that the early P-5's were without MIDI.  I am so thankful DS put MIDI in the Rev. 4.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 10:54:10 PM by jdt9517 »
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2023, 09:41:41 PM »
I would think the prophet 5 rev 4 would sound a lot different being that it has VCOs

g3o2

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2023, 06:16:45 AM »
Actually, Prophet rev 4 sounds much better because its whole wooden body resonates in a nicer way … with our brains. Sequential also obviously wants you to have both the P6 and the P10, or at least they don’t want you to feel bad if you happen to own both. That’s why they are different and unfortunately both quite expensive - hence, the requirement for most of us to choose between them. There is always the more portable Take 5.

*dream off* Thinking of it, I would love to have a room full of Sequentials, including an upright Sequential Prophet 88. *dream on*

chysn

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2023, 11:32:52 AM »
If I had one word to describe the "overall tone" of the Prophet 5, it would be "commanding." It's big and it's confident that it's in charge.

All my synthesizer-life, through (approx.) 63 other synthesizers, I had become resigned to this idea: "Yeah, I love the sound of synthesizers, but they'll never have the command of space that you hear with a symphony orchestra or a nine-foot concert grand piano." The Prophet 5 was when I realized that's dead wrong.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2023, 11:58:49 AM »
If I had one word to describe the "overall tone" of the Prophet 5, it would be "commanding." It's big and it's confident that it's in charge.

All my synthesizer-life, through (approx.) 63 other synthesizers, I had become resigned to this idea: "Yeah, I love the sound of synthesizers, but they'll never have the command of space that you hear with a symphony orchestra or a nine-foot concert grand piano." The Prophet 5 was when I realized that's dead wrong.

Truth! I have or have had synths I love because they sound "electronic" or "classic" or "modern" or they fit in well with my other gear, but the P5 always exists in its own space, on its own terms. I don't fuss much trying to describe how it sounds, I just use it for what it is and does and am satisfied every single time I play it.

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2023, 06:21:14 PM »

Truth! I have or have had synths I love because they sound "electronic" or "classic" or "modern" or they fit in well with my other gear, but the P5 always exists in its own space, on its own terms. I don't fuss much trying to describe how it sounds, I just use it for what it is and does and am satisfied every single time I play it.

63 synths is a lot. What are your top 5 synths? My  august forester model 190 grand piano is my still one of my favorite instruments. Also my most expensive and unique. Acoustic
Instrument are a different world all together. Costly to maintain.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 01:13:56 PM by chysn »

chysn

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2023, 01:21:40 PM »
63 synths is a lot. What are your top 5 synths?

I guess it seems like a lot, but I worked at a used music store for nine years; the employee discount was generous so I had a revolving door. And this includes many junky things like Yamaha QY-10 and Roland MKS-100. Also, there are a few instruments I've owned in multiples.

The top five synths I've owned is off-topic for this Prophet 5 tone thread, but if you ask in a new thread I'm sure you'll get some good responses from people. The on-topic spoiler alert is that Prophet 5 is my #1.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 01:46:40 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2023, 12:20:17 AM »
I worked at a guitar center . Actually three different times. In different states as well and different years. I also sold grand pianos  and have worked in a music store that wasn’t a chain. I acquired most of my synths when I was an employee as well.  In retrospect I should have purchased less synths and would have just limited my selection to just a few.  I’d rather have few classic synths that I really think are special.  And I wish I hadn’t jumped on the bandwagon and purchased so many rompler workstation / samplers. It was the trend though at the time. I think the sequential prophet 5 rev4 is one of those special synths.  Workstations are a different animal so to speak and do certain things well.  Different designs  different purposes. I have a fondness for analog though. It just has this sound
that is so musical in my opinion. When it comes to analog subtractive synthisis other types of synthisis
even though are really good aren’t quite as appealing to my ears. In some ways digital technology has transformed the way music making is done now.Analog is proven and been around longer.   They both have thier pros and cons.  It’s just that Analog Rules LOL

g3o2

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2023, 11:25:51 AM »
Prophet has become a bit like an upright piano for home and studio use - a source of inspiration, ideal for songwriting and recording. In a mix, you may not notice any difference (compared to other solutions) and yet for songwriting inspiration is everything.

To warm up the sound of a ROMpler or digital synth for purposes of inspiration, a good reverb effect is important imo. It’s a day and night difference, even if it is only for a room reverb.