Velocity and aftertouch curves

Velocity and aftertouch curves
« on: February 07, 2023, 11:38:37 AM »
Recently I resolved my issue with thinking my OBX8 wasn’t responding properly. It was not the OBX but the faulty audio cords I was  using. I changed the velocity and aftertouch curves to thier highest setting that was possible , thinking at that time before I figured out it was the audio cords. I’ve set them back to thier lowest setting. I tried experimenting with different settings. I was wondering if the highest settings were the most sensitive to respond and the lowest settings were the least sensitivity.
Wasn’t sure  what the lowest and highest values represented in terms of applying pressure to the keys.
Was wondering what other OBX8 users have thier settings at. I realize everybody’s preference would be different since everyone’s approach to playing is varied.  My sequential pro3 aftertouch responds better than my voyager.  I never really used aftertouch much before although being that Iunderstand how to change the aftertouch and velocity on the OBX8 im interested in its capabilities.  My voyager acted more like a gate then a curve so I never really bothered with it although there were hardware mods available that made the voyager respond better to aftertouch.  I come from a piano background so aftertouch was never really an issue being that is not employed on the acoustic piano.   As far as the voyager was concerned I focused mainly on the pitch and mod wheels than the aftertouch. It seems the pro3 didn’t have the problems with aftertouch that the voyager did. I know for some people aftertouch is a very important aspect of their performance when it comes to being able to express themselves.Any insight
On how aftertouch and velocity might be used with the OBX8 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

LPF83

Re: Velocity and aftertouch curves
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 03:35:12 PM »
Recently I resolved my issue with thinking my OBX8 wasn’t responding properly. It was not the OBX but the faulty audio cords I was  using. I changed the velocity and aftertouch curves to thier highest setting that was possible , thinking at that time before I figured out it was the audio cords. I’ve set them back to thier lowest setting. I tried experimenting with different settings. I was wondering if the highest settings were the most sensitive to respond and the lowest settings were the least sensitivity.
Wasn’t sure  what the lowest and highest values represented in terms of applying pressure to the keys.
Was wondering what other OBX8 users have thier settings at. I realize everybody’s preference would be different since everyone’s approach to playing is varied.  My sequential pro3 aftertouch responds better than my voyager.  I never really used aftertouch much before although being that Iunderstand how to change the aftertouch and velocity on the OBX8 im interested in its capabilities.  My voyager acted more like a gate then a curve so I never really bothered with it although there were hardware mods available that made the voyager respond better to aftertouch.  I come from a piano background so aftertouch was never really an issue being that is not employed on the acoustic piano.   As far as the voyager was concerned I focused mainly on the pitch and mod wheels than the aftertouch. It seems the pro3 didn’t have the problems with aftertouch that the voyager did. I know for some people aftertouch is a very important aspect of their performance when it comes to being able to express themselves.Any insight
On how aftertouch and velocity might be used with the OBX8 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I seem to remember reading the OB-X8 has wonky (overly sensitive and musically unusable) aftertouch like the Prophet 5/10 Rev4 did upon release.  If that's the case, they will probably fix it in an update.  Although it took a couple of years to get it done on the Rev4.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 04:53:44 PM »

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 04:55:30 PM »

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 04:57:12 PM »

I seem to remember reading the OB-X8 has wonky (overly sensitive and musically unusable) aftertouch like the Prophet 5/10 Rev4 did upon release.  If that's the case, they will probably fix it in an update.  Although it took a couple of years to get it done on the Rev4.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 05:41:10 PM »
I read on the moog forum that it was explained that aftertouch is complicated to implement. I don’t really understand the explanation being that it was so technical. I’ve always experienced velocity and aftertouch  as something I don’t have much faith in.  I was under the false impression that my synth action wasn’t working right  although the culprit was my audio cords that made me assume it was the keybed instead.  It seems like something  that you would hope oberhiem/sequential would get right the first time being it’s so critical of a feature for such a flagship synth that has a hefty price tag as well. I’m always skeptical  when a fix is promised in a firmware update wondering whether it will really fix the problem or not  since sometimes it’s really a hardware issue that needs to be addressed as well.
I remember reading that about the Moog Voyager . They eventually got it right after three times and also installing some hardware in the left hand controller area. And one of the three fixes even offered wasn’t even offered by moog but by Rudy L. His fix seemed to work the best I remember. I know  nothings perfect in this world it’s just I don’t like having to download a fix if it can be avoided. I don’t trust what changes can happen that you might not be aware of. Anytime there is a new update with a new number of the version really means that didn’t get it right the first time. I don’t know if it’s reasonable to expect that  not to occur or not . Seems like there are a lot of bugs upon a release.
I just hope there aren’t too many issues that need to be corrected. It’s discouraging to read about all the different problems. I guess this comes with using microprocessors to control different aspects of the synth. I don’t know I’m not an engineer and wouldn’t be able to understand all the intricacies.
Synths like the orginal Minimoog model D didn’t even have velocity and aftertouch. Sometimes I wonder if we would be better off without those features if it would render a result of not having wonky performance. The way a keybed responds is imperative for me . I’m just a jazz piano player that uses synths  and don’t consider myself a synthisist but it’s a real drag to me when the reliability of how the action responds ends up being subpar. Feel is everything to me.