Akai MPC

LPF83

Akai MPC
« on: February 06, 2023, 04:37:19 PM »
I've been meaning to start a thread on this for a while now.  I bought an MPC Live 2 a while back, more for a travel play thing, and it has really blown me away at what a great device it is.  It has actually become the basis for a "compact studio", basically some table space in another room where I can quickly jam or throw down ideas without powering up all of the big gear.  On my last actual travel trip, I rarely even powered it up simply because I was consumed by the trip itself and found no time for music.  So it's not really a travel device for me at this point, but it doesn't matter.. this bit of gear has been such incredible bang for the buck that it's hard to keep my hands off it.  I thought I would write here about some of the fun I've had discovering it.

Rather than one huge post I may just do a series of shorter posts, highlighting one or two things I like (or don't like) about it, for those considering one of these.  I am going to narrow the scope of each post to limit myself to one aspect of it.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LPF83

Re: Akai MPC
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 05:04:32 PM »
**BASS**

The first big surprise I encountered was a plug-in Akai just released around the time of the MPC keyboard launch called "Mini D".  It is a Moog Model D emulation, which I think actually consistently sounds better than any Model D I've heard, and it is head and shoulders above the other Moog plug-ins I have in my collection, including The Legend and Diva.  Now that is subjective and depends on how much you like the Model D sound to begin with, as opposed to punchier "west coast" synths, but to my ears I honestly prefer the sound of Mini D to all of the above, and many of the hardware devices I already own.

Does the plug-in sound identical to a Moog?  I don't think so... and actually I think that's its strength.  They captured what's good about a Moog but gave it its own voice.

The plug-in doesn't come with the MPC at this point, but when I bought my Live 2 they were going for $200 under retail, which allowed some room to add some plug-ins.

I might even go out on a limb and say that Mini-D is probably the most sonically appealing (and convincing) analog emulation plug-in I have found in all my travels.  There is something special in the low to mid-end presence, the filter and the envelopes, and the overall usability of it (especially with the integration of the Q-Link knobs on the MPC) that simply make it indispensible.

Also, while I use it primarily for bass, it can do 4-voice polyphony -- now keep in mind the MPC can run multiple instances of this (although I have not pushed it to see how many it can handle).  Even if you don't want a polyphonic bass synth, the flexibility that gives you in terms of retriggering and so forth is very worthwhile.

So even if I neglect to come back to this thread and post more pros and cons of the MPC, the single purchase of this one plugin turned my Live 2 into a very formidable, standalone bass synth.  In other words, if I looked at the MPC as a $1,100 module that could only do one thing, I would use it regularly just for the bass sounds it can produce, and the programming interface.   The Toraiz AS-1 is still my favorite sounding bass synth and is an amazing value at $500, but it cannot do 4 voices, the programming isn't as immediate (hard to compete with the knobs + touch screen interface the MPC offers... that is, once you get used to it), and it has a different tone than Mini-D running on the MPC. 

Where Mini-D really gets the edge over my analog gear is "drum integration".  Because drums+bassline are so foundational to many types of music, having such tight integration between the two on such a portable device leads to lots of fast, and very productive idea launching sessions.  I do not typically play basslines using the drum pads, I have a compact keyboard plugged to the MPC (more on that later).  The speed at which these tracks can get off the ground, with just the device in my lap and without powering up the studio, has been very eye opening.

Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 05:28:27 PM »
**BASS**

The first big surprise I encountered was a plug-in Akai just released around the time of the MPC keyboard launch called "Mini D".  It is a Moog Model D emulation, which I think actually consistently sounds better than any Model D I've heard, and it is head and shoulders above the other Moog plug-ins I have in my collection, including The Legend and Diva.  Now that is subjective and depends on how much you like the Model D sound to begin with, as opposed to punchier "west coast" synths, but to my ears I honestly prefer the sound of Mini D to all of the above, and many of the hardware devices I already own.

While I'm on the subject of bass, this guy did a comparison of Mini-D to the two softsynths I mentioned above as well as the Boog.  He seems to really like the blur of the Boog, whereas at least on YT it mostly sounds like mud to me, and Mini D stands out as sounding better even in his video.  But it may help put my love for this plugin in better perspective, if you're more a fan of the others:   

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 04:35:05 PM »
** FM Synthesis **

Yes, I will say it.  The MPC is the most fun and rewarding FM "hardware" synth I've used since the 80's.  I won't say it's necessarily the best, because a DX7 was the first real synth I ever used and Plogue Chipsynth OPS7 is a near-indistinguishable DX7 emulation that I can run old DX7 patches on.  But, programming FM sounds the DX7 way was never much fun.

OPX4 is a 4 operator FM synth plug-in that must be purchased separately (don't worry, not all of my posts about the MPC will involve additional purchases, I'm just highlighting some little known features up front);  I must say it is well worth the cost for what it transforms the MPC into.

It is both instantly usable and deep at the same time, and the touch screen of the MPC (combined with QLink knobs) make it a joy to use.

If you're interested in FM synthesis, and this particular capability of the MPC, check out this excellent tutorial (it's honestly where I learned to use it)...also keep in mind that unlike the tutorial, much of the time you'd be making edits to parameters like the envelope slopes using the touch screen, which are a much better user experience than what would be implied by this video alone: 

If, on the other hand you prefer to just hear some quick sounds:

« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 04:44:11 PM by LPF83 »

chysn

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 07:07:49 AM »
Thanks for this information! I've been kind of side-eying the MPC One since the discussion about travel.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 11:29:59 AM »
Thanks for this information! I've been kind of side-eying the MPC One since the discussion about travel.

Definitely everything I've written so far (and most of what I will be writing in coming days) applies equally to the MPC One.  I think the MPC One is a great value, and I like the fact that it has more buttons, but for my needs (and anyone wanting a travel setup) I highly recommend the MPC Live 2 because of a few compelling features:  The battery, the speaker, the ability to add an SSD, the larger drum pads, and more USB ports (I also prefer the form factor of the Live).   In addition to just being able to sit it on your lap and take anywhere, it's nice to be able to plug in a small MIDI keyboard and a USB powered synth module into the two USB ports with no other power connectivity needed.  There are also a few uses cases I will talk about later which makes this portable aspect very important.

That said, I might add an MPC One at some point as a permanent studio addition (while the Live 2 remains the centerpiece of my compact setup).  Note that the Live 2 regularly goes on sale for $1100 USD.

One thing to keep in mind about the Live is that even with less buttons, it has a number of shortcuts like double tapping the existing buttons to get to the shift function behind it.  I have heard some report that they really missed the buttons of the larger models when going to the Live, but I think once one gets used to the Live and understands the shortcuts, the lower number of buttons is no problem.  Plus, the touch screen is very immediate and usable so you don't really need buttons.

..more to come!....
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 11:31:51 AM by LPF83 »

LPF83

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 04:31:30 PM »
** Versus Maschine? **

First, I will say the Maschine that I own is the original MKI released about 13 years ago.  I think I paid around $400 new for it, and was immediately impressed, it filled a need for a groovebox / dedicated drum machine type of device and the price was right.  Over the years through various promotions / vouchers etc. I actually have a nice collection of expansions for it.  And I've used it a lot, but mostly only the plug-in, and mostly only as a drum sample player.  By that I mean I never really vibed with the Maschine sequencer workflow..  the pads felt great, but I always found myself either entering beats using something like my Octapad (mapped to Maschine VST) or the keyboard... it's a hard thing to explain, but I never liked the sequencer or other software workflow, only the sounds coming out of the plugin.  I tried sampling on it a few times and hated doing so.

My initial reaction to the MPC was like night at day.  Some will tell you the MPC workflow is messed up, and it definitely does take some getting used to, but to me it was far more musical and intuitive than Maschine.  The MPC just set off immediate inspiration.. some of that had to do with the form factor, the portability of the Live II.  Granted, the much newer Maschine+ is good as a standalone / portable instrument from what I understand, but when it comes to the instruments, plugins like Massive or FM8 were not originally designed to run on standalone hardware.  Sure they can, but I don't believe the experience is going to be the same as plugins that were designed to run on MPC.  And that was always my problem with interacting with Maschine hardware... it always felt like "yeah you can do this, but do you want to?".

Add to that, stand alone grooveboxes like this are not competitive in CPU power with a good PC.  I have heard complaints about Maschine+ that the plugins can bog down the CPU to the point where it's unusable.  I can also say I have pushed the MPC, and when you get into the more powerful plug-ins and high polyphony, running into limitations is not hard to do.  But, from what I understand the MPC is orders of magnitude better at remaining stable compared to the Maschine+ as it struggles to run PC-grade plugins.

Then again, I've heard some say they prefer the Maschine+ workflow..  so, maybe there is a difference between the newer models than what I came to know (which honestly has not changed that much in 13 years).  My initial impression of Maschine was something that always needed to be tethered to my computer to make music, and at the same time struggled to co-exist in the DAW as anything other than a sample playback machine that happened to have a library of good sounds.  No doubt the newer models are improved in many ways, but at the moment I can't justify entertaining a purchase for any of them.

By the way, regarding all the Maschine expansions I mentioned owning.   I did purchase KitMaker (https://www.kit-maker.com) which will convert Maschine expansions into MPC kits, and I'm looking forward to trying that feature.  I did buy the software, but mostly only to build my own kits of existing samples.  I tried it on a couple of folders and it worked excellently.  I suspect it will work magic moving my Maschine kits over.

LPF83

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2023, 03:46:20 PM »
** Drumsynth **

I've been focusing on the aspects of the MPC folks may not know about like plug-in capability, only because everyone knows it's the king of samplers (and I will get to that later).

But just know that drum options aren't limited to samples, it has a nice drum synth built-in.  I find myself reaching for it a lot because it sounds great -- I almost always run it in multi-mode.

Because one of the strengths of the MPC is in creating the basics of a track for export and later refinement, I actually think this is one of the more important capabilities of the device.  It's so easy to get great sounding drum tracks out of it that it feels like cheating.

I'll refer to Loopops tutorial for details:

LPF83

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2023, 04:49:08 AM »
For anyone considering getting an MPC, you may want to watch this regarding some credible speculation about upcoming newer models:

Summarized, looks like there is likely an upcoming MPC XL model coming, the MPC One Mk2 will likely get wi-fi and bluetooth (the Live 2 already has this and I can confirm they are both very useful), and the MPC Live may get a Mini version that is smaller but less capable.

LPF83

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2023, 03:07:30 PM »
** FX **

Here I am on one hand talking about the FX built into the unit that can be applied to tracks or programs. 

But to understand the value proposition here, I'm suggesting considering a rather creative use -- using the MPC Live2 as a standalone FX unit.  It has a bewildering number of FX built in, and you can have 4 of each FX loaded per track (not counting mixer inserts).

Imagine not even using the MPC sequencer or drum kits or using it as a sampler or sound source at all...  rather, just simply plugging other instruments into one of the 4 inputs (or even connecting another audio interface to it's USB port for even more inputs, I'm told it can do this).   And now on each of those inputs adding up to 4 separate effects per track.  Each of which have an excellent touch screen interface (or can be controlled via the Q-link knobs).

Right now I actually have a Moog Minitaur going into one of the inputs then...  just using the FX of the MPC to make the Minitaur sound like a completely different beast (starting with a stereo widener, delay, compressor etc).

But of course, this FX unit has a special feature :) ...  it can sequence / sample/ bounce / manipulate / export all the beautiful sounds you make in a format you can take into another DAW or just save for later use.  Also 6 output jacks.

Granted, it's a bit on the large size for an FX pedal, and it's not something you want to put on the floor to toggle with your foot (but you could use another MIDI controller to do that if you really wanted).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 03:09:45 PM by LPF83 »

chysn

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2023, 04:54:01 PM »
Summarized, looks like there is likely an upcoming MPC XL model coming, the MPC One Mk2 will likely get wi-fi and bluetooth (the Live 2 already has this and I can confirm they are both very useful), and the MPC Live may get a Mini version that is smaller but less capable.

I've been using Bluetooth MIDI for a while with CME WIDI devices, specifically on my Pro 3 and my modular. It's a very nice system. I've also got the CME Bluetooth keyboard, which works with everything, including my iPad. If an MPC One Mk2 could be part of that ecosystem (which seems likely), it would be amazing.

Although, it would still be possible to connect the regular WIDI Master to an O.G. MPC One to give it Bluetooth capability.

The MPC One is discounted deep ($200 off) at the moment, which is further evidence that a new release is around the corner.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LPF83

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2023, 04:39:16 AM »

I've been using Bluetooth MIDI for a while with CME WIDI devices, specifically on my Pro 3 and my modular. It's a very nice system. I've also got the CME Bluetooth keyboard, which works with everything, including my iPad. If an MPC One Mk2 could be part of that ecosystem (which seems likely), it would be amazing.

Although, it would still be possible to connect the regular WIDI Master to an O.G. MPC One to give it Bluetooth capability.

The MPC One is discounted deep ($200 off) at the moment, which is further evidence that a new release is around the corner.

It does appear the MPC One is slated to catch up to the rest of the product line with regard to Bluetooth and wi-fi.   One feature I'd like to see them add to the MPC One Mk2 is a master volume knob on the top like the Live 2.  Honestly, as much as I use that, having to reach around the back for a small knob would be frustrating after getting used to the availability of the knob on the Live 2.

I quickly found use for Bluetooth in the Live 2 -- I paired an Apple Magic keyboard to the box to help with character input one afternoon when I was sampling some of my synths *.  The issue I ran into is that if you're multi-sampling lots of content, organization of those samples on the SD card itself becomes a key consideration, and of course that means a good naming convention, helpful names for the samples and such.  Of course, the touch screen offers a keyboard that is typical of what you'd find on a phone or tablet, but it only takes about half an hour of sample name input to grow weary of inputting character data using this method, then wishing you had a real keyboard.  The touch screen keyboard is great for quick, one-off tasks like naming tracks or projects, just not bulk sampling;  for this reason I'm not sure I would want to own one of these if it didn't support pairing a BT character keyboard.  That said, I think that it may be possible to use the MPC One Mk1 in conjunction with the MPC software running on the computer in order to accomplish same (using the computer to handle sample organization tasks), I just have not tried the MPC software yet and I'm not really interested in that workflow because the whole reason I got the Live 2 was to be a standalone piece of gear -- the "not connected to computer" is the most compelling feature to me.

I have not yet tried BT MIDI, but I suspect the WIDI Master approach would work fine and wireless MIDI input would really come in handy.  To date, I have been using an Akai MPK Mini Plus as the primary MIDI keyboard, connected to one of the USB ports (having more USB ports would be another area I would like to see the MPC One catch up, as they do come in handy, especially when using a synth that can be USB-powered like the Roland boutique line up).  It would be nice if the Mini Plus supported BT assuming it worked flawlessly, but then it would need to draw power some other way which would become a burden in itself.  As inconvenient as cables are, sometimes they come with benefits... in this case being able to power up the MPC, and have the synth and MIDI keyboard power on and off with that single switch is very handy in my compact setup, where one of the benefits is to get musical ideas down quickly rather than powering up all of the main studio gear, letting analogs warm up, etc.

* More on multi-sampling later.. it is of course one of the real reasons to own one of these units, and one of the functions the MPC is known for -- I just haven't mentioned it yet, because it's such an obvious feature and I wanted to explore some of the lesser known use cases.

LPF83

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2023, 06:42:08 PM »
**Auto Sampling**

Funny that we're this far into the thread before talking about one of the MPC's primary strengths, right?  Of course, sampling is one of it's strengths, but I thought this is perhaps best illustrated with a video.  Naturally there are other ways to do this type of auto sampling, such as SampleRobot software, but I do like the immediacy of the MPC, being able to just pick up the Live 2, run it on battery power, and carry it physically close to the instrument I want to sample (regardless of whether that instrument is currently set up in my main studio / audio interface / DAW etc).  I can just run the synth outs to the MPC ins and run a MIDI cable and done.

LPF83

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2023, 05:43:27 PM »
** Kitmaker **

If you have lots of existing samples that you'd like to turn into kits, it's good to be aware of this software, as it's cheap and very useful.  I'm taking my time with it personally, only because I want my actual kit designs to be somewhat well thought out rather than a massive library of variations that I dread wading through, but if you want to turn your existing samples into MPC kits (which basically amounts to mapping them sensibly to the pads), the price of this ($30) is well worth it.

https://www.kit-maker.com/

Or even if you don't want them to be well-thought out and want to create kits on the fly, it's still good at that.  Browsing and loading up samples on the MPC, and assigning individual ones to pads is very fast, but at some point as you get more involved with it you will definitely see the advantage of and want to create kits.

Oh... big advantage for someone like me that already has tons of great sounding NI Maschine kits... it will convert them into MPC kits!

chysn

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2023, 12:07:50 PM »
I know you mentioned the Mini D and FM plug-ins, but does MPC come with any synth plug-ins included, or is it all samples until you buy a plug-in?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

LPF83

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2023, 01:05:30 PM »
I know you mentioned the Mini D and FM plug-ins, but does MPC come with any synth plug-ins included, or is it all samples until you buy a plug-in?

There are some synth plugins that come with it:  Hype, Mellotron, Odyssey, Solina, Drumsynth, Bassline, Electric, and Tubesynth are included, then there are some premium ones you can get in a bundle which I did buy:

https://www.akaipro.com/mpc-plugin-instruments

LPF83

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2023, 04:13:23 PM »
I should also mention, the rumor mill says firmware 3.0 is coming soon and may be a paid update with lots of new features, potentially premium plugin inclusions, etc.  So if considering a purchase, it may be worth waiting to see what 3.0 involves, at what price, and what it means to each model.

I will say the incremental firmware updates I've had so far have been a joy... for the wi-fi to just acknowledge the update is there and download/install without hassle is something I'm used to on the computer but it's very welcome on a standlone hardware device.  In the updates I've had, I didn't notice any new bugs, but those who use the MPC as the primary brain of their studio have a different story to tell there, and some of them keep archives of each update so they can roll back.

LPF83

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2023, 04:19:30 PM »
** As an idea springboard **

Because the MPC is so good / immediate at sampling, it inspires you to experiment in ways that you certainly could on another platform, but (at least in my case) might not end up with the same result.

On a whim, I pulled the SD card out of it, and plopped it into the PC where most of my music collection lives.  Browsing randomly, threw an MP3 of "The Killing Moon" by Echo and the Bunnymen onto the card, ejected and put it back in the MPC and loaded it into the sample editor.   Screwed with the tuning, chopped it up, and threw something into a sequence, and adjusted the tempo so it mostly lined up.  Then started playing a lead synth on top of it to come up with a cool hook that just worked..   By this time the sequence is already unrecognizable from the original track. Then went back and put in a bassline that mostly aligned with the original samples, staying in the same scale but with some variations and a different vibe.  Then loaded a drum kit and started drumming.   Didn't even save what I did but it was just so much fun.

chysn

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2023, 05:22:15 PM »
Hey, @LPF83, do you know if an MPC’s sequencer will record NRPM messages from Sequential instruments? If so, can they be edited in the MPC?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

LPF83

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2023, 05:45:22 PM »
Hey, @LPF83, do you know if an MPC’s sequencer will record NRPM messages from Sequential instruments? If so, can they be edited in the MPC?

I had to look that one up since I have not done anything NRPN related with the MPC, but, based on this video, it seems to me it should work.  Notice that initially he had to use an NRPN controller to get the messages in, but then he was able to control it with the MPC knob.

That said, it might be worth getting on the MPC forums to ask around for folks who do this regularly, to find out any specific limitations:

https://www.mpc-forums.com

As much as I wish I could help directly than just be a pass-through as I am on this topic, I really haven't done NRPN yet on my Live 2, it's kind of a side-project compact set up for me (which it does astoundingly well).  But I see the MSB LSB input boxes in the touch screen UI regularly and wonder how effective they are :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 05:47:12 PM by LPF83 »