OBX8 PLUS EFFECTS
« on: February 04, 2023, 07:53:16 PM »
Was curious what effects units others might be using with thier  OBX8 Thanks

Circuit3

• synthpop electropop artist
    • Circuit3 - synthpop for the masses!
Re: OBX8 PLUS EFFECTS
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 02:50:50 AM »
Mostly Strymon BigSky and Timeline.  But much less than with my P10 or other synths. 
My new album “Technology For The Youth” is out now on Vinyl CD and Digital at  http://circuit3.Bandcamp.com

“Brilliant retro-futurist orbiting synths…evocative electronic music for stolen futures” Electronic Sound Magazine

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 04:07:07 AM »
Mine is always connected to Logic and have been using Valhalla reverb and the stock chorus spread, delays and Eq

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 05:17:26 AM »
It depends on music and context. But when just play around without any goal it’s connected to a Lexicon PCM80 via the mixing console.

synthRodriguez

• Yamaha CS-series synthesizer repair service.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 07:45:27 AM »
Using the Roland SDX-330 Dimensional Expander. Lots of settings sound really great right out of the box.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 10:48:40 AM »
Years ago I gave up on multiFX boxes for keyboards.  After some experimenting I found the Korg SDD-3300 coupled with a Lexicon PCM-60 is a great combination.  I prefer creating my own FX and the 3300 is a tweaker's delight, very good at modulated delay FX and can get FX that a multiFX box cannot do.  The 3300 is also great at processing the reverb tails (IE stereo imaging) of the PCM-60.  This combination has worked so well that I elected to acquire multiple sets dedicated to my primary analogs.

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 06:54:34 PM »
Mostly Strymon BigSky and Timeline.  But much less than with my P10 or other synths.
I recently got the eventide space. I’m considering getting the Strymon timeline. It competes with the eventide Timefactor and costs less and offers more presets and read a review that said they preferred the algorithms on the timeline.
Also read about the Mobius as well.  I read that the timeline was more versatile compared to the Mobius and Big sky.  If you could only have one choosing between the Big Sky and the Timefactor which would you choose? Thanks

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 07:49:28 PM »
I've done quite a bit of research into these two pedals, and I concluded that the Eventide was too dark in effect, while the Strymon was better for clarity.  And because these two pedals are usually used for extremely deep ambient reverbs, clarity is essential.

Incidentally, I've come to prefer the Source Audio reverb and delay.  They're of a comparable quality but a bit more reasonably priced.  Plus, the Nemesis delay is Daniel Fisher's favorite pedal, which carries some weight.

LPF83

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2023, 09:11:40 AM »
I recently got the eventide space. I’m considering getting the Strymon timeline. It competes with the eventide Timefactor and costs less and offers more presets and read a review that said they preferred the algorithms on the timeline.
Also read about the Mobius as well.  I read that the timeline was more versatile compared to the Mobius and Big sky.  If you could only have one choosing between the Big Sky and the Timefactor which would you choose? Thanks

I have a Timeline, Mobius and Big Sky.  They are different pedals for different purposes, the Timeline is a delay pedal, Mobius is for modulation, and Big Sky is for reverb... so the idea of comparisons crossing the boundaries of their intended purpose confused me a bit.

I have lots of Eventide plugins but no Eventide hardware yet.  I have considered getting an H90, as a frequently run into cases where I'd like to have 2 effects on same pedal.  The SP2016 reverb plugin I use all the time, it sounds excellent and probably even better in the hardware form of the H90.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

SMV

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2023, 05:46:24 AM »
Hello,
I recently bought an Eventide H90 ( I had an Eventide Space that I sold ), and I use it with the OBX8 and the P10.
It is incredibly sounding, very intuitive and very easy to manage also without the software.
Highly suggested
SMV

sacguy71

• synth enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2023, 05:48:44 PM »
Was curious what effects units others might be using with thier  OBX8 Thanks

Strymon Timeline, Bigsky and Moebius. I use these also with guitar so get more bang of buck. I’m saving for the H90.
Oberheim OB X-8
Access Virus TI2
Squarp Hapax
Electron Rytm MK2
Moog Sub 37
Elektron Digitone
Elektron Analog 4
Tons of Eurorack modular

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2023, 11:20:01 AM »
OTO Bim and Bam work really well together with the OB-X8.

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2023, 04:15:25 PM »
I love OTO BIM and BAM, too. Right now I have those and several other pedals and I just jump around and try different things. BIM and BAM keep me in the 80s and really line up with the OB vibe. Strymon Big Sky is gorgeous for soundscapes. The unexpected pleasure is Ventilator II. The Leslie sim is great, and I really love the overdrive in that pedal. It is so organic. I also have an Eventide H9 and so far I haven't been enjoying it as much. Part of that is probably on me for not diving deeper into it. But so far, all the sounds from H9 sound sterile to me, and seem a little like oil and water when combined with OBX8.
Prophet 10 Rev4, OB-X8, Moog One, Rhodes Mk8, Osmose, OB-6 desktop, Trigon 6 Desktop, Kawai VPC-1, Steinway D

LPF83

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2023, 05:31:49 PM »
I love OTO BIM and BAM, too. Right now I have those and several other pedals and I just jump around and try different things. BIM and BAM keep me in the 80s and really line up with the OB vibe. Strymon Big Sky is gorgeous for soundscapes. The unexpected pleasure is Ventilator II. The Leslie sim is great, and I really love the overdrive in that pedal. It is so organic. I also have an Eventide H9 and so far I haven't been enjoying it as much. Part of that is probably on me for not diving deeper into it. But so far, all the sounds from H9 sound sterile to me, and seem a little like oil and water when combined with OBX8.

Does the H9 have SP2016 reverb as an option?  I was looking at it at one time and it didn't seem to...  to me (and in the interest of vintage sound at least), this particular reverb plugin (and I need to qualify that because I have not heard the H90 yet) competes more fairly with the OTO BAM (although I don't think it's quite as good or has the range of possibilities).  Most of the other Eventide reverbs I've had didn't really grab me when it comes to that transparent/warm sound.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2023, 02:53:12 PM »
The OB-X8 is an analogue device. Some of the effects processors described are digital which will force an AD/DA conversion which is likely detrimental albeit slightly to the OB-X8 sound. It just seems a bit strange to spend all that money on a pure analogue synth and then stick digital processing all over it.

LPF83

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2023, 03:06:37 PM »
The OB-X8 is an analogue device. Some of the effects processors described are digital which will force an AD/DA conversion which is likely detrimental albeit slightly to the OB-X8 sound. It just seems a bit strange to spend all that money on a pure analogue synth and then stick digital processing all over it.

I get what you're saying, but isn't it equally as strange to focus on pure analog only for the end product to wind up on digital media or played on digital devices like phones and computers?

Just my two cents but some of the best sounds I've heard come out of synthesizers were from synths with a pure analog instrument signal path that are run through outboard digital fx.  Sometimes analog and digital in certain mixtures sounds amazing.

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2023, 05:13:25 PM »
Agree, and also, more and more pedals can be set to allow the analog sound to pass through, without being digitized, with the result that only the effect is a digitized sound. This concept works pretty well with delays and reverbs.
Prophet 10 Rev4, OB-X8, Moog One, Rhodes Mk8, Osmose, OB-6 desktop, Trigon 6 Desktop, Kawai VPC-1, Steinway D

g3o2

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2023, 11:32:48 AM »
If the pedal has a full wet or kill dry mode, will it really matter given that you can mix both dry and wet signals as you deem fit?

Other pedals to try are Strymon Volante, UAFX Golden Reverberator and Strymon Nightsky.

drxcm

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2023, 08:10:57 PM »
Vongon Ultrasheer and Polyphrase

They sound absolutely amazing on the OB-X8 - easy my favourite combo
(I also have the three OTO boxes, H9000, H3000, H90, PCM80, and a few Strymon effects)

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2023, 02:45:25 PM »
Fractal Axe-FX II, but mainly Novation Summit for convenience.