OB-X8 - Won't run OS 1.0.0.7 - FIXED

synthRodriguez

• Yamaha CS-series synthesizer repair services.
OB-X8 - Won't run OS 1.0.0.7 - FIXED
« on: February 04, 2023, 01:29:29 PM »
Have OB-X8 s/n 1608 here. Came loaded with 1.0.0.3. I tried loading OS 1.0.0.7 today. It appears to load fine but on reboot, I get no sound when playing the keys. Note the following:
  • A Global reset does not help.
  • The OS loads fine in both midi and USB modes.
  • Performing a Full Calibration after loading causes a hang on the first function call requiring a power cycle.
  • Loading during normal operation or using the Recovery Boot Loader results in the same inoperative condition.
  • Flip-flopped back and forth between 1.0.0.2 and 1.0.0.7. V.2 always loads and works fine, V.7 never does.
  • Tried (4) times in both USB and midi modes with both versions. Result was as above.
  • Using Win7 with MidiOx.

Any thoughts on the issue or something else to try?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 02:33:05 PM by synthRodriguez »

Re: OB-X8 - Won't run OS 1.0.0.7
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 02:08:53 PM »
Same issue.

Support gave me these instructions:

Have you cleared calibration after installing the new OS? If you haven't yet, please do so with the following steps:

Enter the DEBUG menu by holding TRANSPOSE UP + DOWN and pressing GLOBAL.
Make sure the first option, ‘Clear Cal’ is selected, then press WRITE.
The display will exit the debug menu, indicating that calibration has been cleared.

Then, run the FULL CALIBRATION from the global menu and check whether it completes successfully.

synthRodriguez

• Yamaha CS-series synthesizer repair services.
Re: OB-X8 - Won't run OS 1.0.0.7 - FIXED
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 02:36:20 PM »
That did the trick, thanks a million!

Makes sense. The calibration table appears to have more parameters now (voice levels), so I guess 1.0.0.2 would read the loaded 1.0.0.3 cal table but hang on the new one.