Wooden Frames for Synthesizers

Sacred Synthesis

Wooden Frames for Synthesizers
« on: January 29, 2023, 12:43:36 PM »
In my ongoing quest to design the ideal monophonic synthesizer system, I've been searching for wooden frames or end cheeks.  I thought it would be handy to have a thread that collects the various companies that offer them.

Marsbuilt:

https://marsbuilt.com/key-n-synth-creations/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 01:34:20 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Wooden Frames for Synthesizers
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 01:35:00 PM »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 01:42:51 PM »
Transformed into a gorgeous instrument:

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 01:56:18 PM »

chysn

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 04:13:59 PM »
My Pro 3 side panels came from

https://synthcraft.co/

They do Pro 3, Take 5, and MultiTrak.

The Pro 3 panels are technically challenging because they affix from inside the instrument. That's probably why not everyone here does Pro 3 panels. Synthcraft's precision craftsmanship of the metal bracket placement and the routed channels makes the panels well worth the money.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 04:28:48 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2023, 05:16:01 PM »
I was hoping to find some side panels for my ARP Odyssey Modules.  It's unlikely there are any, since the bottom of the sides curves inward.  But a frame for the entire module could be made.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 09:19:57 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023, 06:28:47 AM »
Here are some shots of what I had done for my HydraSynth Deluxe. I've notice that there are a lot of retired weekend woodworkers out there who love working with wood as a hobby. (I see them all the time at the craft shows that I go to with my wife, who is a potter.) I took one of the ends off and used it to make a thick paper template. I then gave it to a man who loves making things with wood and who struggles with where to sell it. I asked for walnut. He asked for $50; I gave him $60... and then I bought the screws. Next time, I would have asked him to round the corners a bit more. And if you're wondering, Yes; it sounds a lot warmer now.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 06:37:52 AM »
Your HydraSynth looks fabulous with those end cheeks, Jason.

If you have any addresses for woodworkers that could design synth sides or frames, please post them here.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2023, 01:58:09 PM »
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 02:09:31 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LPF83

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2023, 03:43:03 PM »
Here are some shots of what I had done for my HydraSynth Deluxe. I've notice that there are a lot of retired weekend woodworkers out there who love working with wood as a hobby. (I see them all the time at the craft shows that I go to with my wife, who is a potter.) I took one of the ends off and used it to make a thick paper template. I then gave it to a man who loves making things with wood and who struggles with where to sell it. I asked for walnut. He asked for $50; I gave him $60... and then I bought the screws. Next time, I would have asked him to round the corners a bit more. And if you're wondering, Yes; it sounds a lot warmer now.

One of the reasons I bought my particular System-8 (used) was I felt the aluminum ends the seller had put on it (which cannot be purchased anymore and are increasingly rare) did a lot for the aesthetic.  Wood ends on the System-8 looked odd to me for some reason.  Because of that, I never thought of wood ends for my Hydrasynth desktop unit, but after seeing your pics, wood really looks nice on that synth!  I probably won't change anything on my desktop, but if I had a keyboard unit I probably would after seeing this post, its a definite improvement.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC