Trying to recreate this organ patch.

LoboLives

Trying to recreate this organ patch.
« on: April 08, 2017, 01:04:29 PM »
Hey guys any advice on how to recreate this pipe organ patch? I've got the basic sound (believe it's a combination of a square wave and triangle wave) but it seems like the filter on the patch closes when the keys are lifted. Listen closely is that something to do with the velocity? Anyone got any advice for how to recreate it? I thought it may be adjusting the filter envelope and resonance but when I increase the resonance it wrecks the initial organ sound. Any thoughts?

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Trying to recreate this organ patch.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 02:09:09 PM »
I would say that's two sawtooths tuned an octave apart (8' and 4').  It also sounds as if the filter closes somewhat at the release of each note through the filter envelope.

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 02:12:51 PM »
I would say that's two sawtooths tuned an octave apart (8' and 4').  It also sounds as if the filter closes somewhat at the release of each note through the filter envelope.

Really? I swear it was a square on the lower octave and a triangle on the higher octave. I get some close results doing this but it's the filter closing that's what gets me. How would you set the envelope amount to achieve this?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 02:30:24 PM »
I could be wrong, but squares tuned an octave apart have a distinct and totally different sound.  You might as well try both. 

After listening to it again, I'd say there is also a 2' pitch.  The difficult thing with imitating those old synthesizer movie sound tracks is that they often over-dubbed the synthesizer.  It sounds as if one track might have been played on top of another, with one having a slightly darker filter setting than the other.  Hence, you can hear the difference at the imprecise release of each track.  Just a guess.

For the filter, I would say set the Env Amount to "127" or just short of it, and with no resonance.  You might also want to experiment with the 2-pole setting.  For the envelopes, set the attacks to about "6" (so that it doesn't "pop" with each note strike), the sustains to "127," and the releases to about "40."

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 02:35:49 PM »
By the way, I'm only referring to the background organ patch during the first 20 seconds.

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 04:10:24 PM »
By the way, I'm only referring to the background organ patch during the first 20 seconds.

Yeah just the intro organ part is what I'm after. I'll try those envelope settings tomorrow. Thanks!

When you say set it to 127 how do you do that on the P6?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 04:14:17 PM »
Whoops.  Sorry about that.  I mean 100% or just short of it.  I'm not familiar with the P-6 parameter numbers.  So, you'll have to adjust my other numbers as well.

LoboLives

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 04:24:32 PM »
Whoops.  Sorry about that.  I mean 100% or just short of it.  I'm not familiar with the P-6 parameter numbers.  So, you'll have to adjust my other numbers as well.

Cool I'll give if a shot. Btw when you say 2 Pole mode, how do you do that on the P6?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 05:21:02 PM »
You can't.  There is no 2-pole option on the Prophet-6.  But you probably don't need it.  As you know, Carpenter made constant use of the Prophet 5, so the Prophet-6 should be able to imitate it fairly well.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 05:22:34 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 02:52:17 AM »
You can't.  There is no 2-pole option on the Prophet-6.  But you probably don't need it.  As you know, Carpenter made constant use of the Prophet 5, so the Prophet-6 should be able to imitate it fairly well.

Yeah I'm not having any luck with it. I'm thinking that there is a slow filter close with resonance self oscillation but it's far too buzzy when it's initially played.

I figured out a way to do the darker/brighter filter setting you were talking about. Simply put one of the filters on Half Keyboard tracking. I'm getting closer to it but it's just that filter closing that gets me. It must have something to do with the envelope. Perhaps with a delay and possibly a chorus or light phaser added in the effects. 

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 07:37:08 AM »
Since I don't have a Prophet-6, I can't be that precise.  You're right about the filter being set too high/bright.  But the rest of the suggestions about the filter and envelope should be close.  Just close the filter a bit.