Weird Midi glitches when using as Midi Controller in Ableton/Macbook Pro

Noticing a few things- one eventually after using it as my Midi controller after however many minutes I notice it starts sending delayed signals to whatever VST I'm using. Unplugging it and plugging back in fixes it but it can be annoying.

The second glitch I notice is it will start making a VST continously play a note as if I pressed a 'hold' type button, which I haven't. Turning the VST on and off ends up fixing it but again, kind of an annoying glitch.

Wondering if I shouldn't be using the Take 5 for VST's outside of using it for it's own sounds?   But from my understanding that shouldn't be a problem generally.

Any ideas if this is normal or how to potentially fix that?

Thanks

Re: Weird Midi glitches when using as Midi Controller in Ableton/Macbook Pro
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 12:12:52 PM »
Noticing a few things- one eventually after using it as my Midi controller after however many minutes I notice it starts sending delayed signals to whatever VST I'm using. Unplugging it and plugging back in fixes it but it can be annoying.

The second glitch I notice is it will start making a VST continously play a note as if I pressed a 'hold' type button, which I haven't. Turning the VST on and off ends up fixing it but again, kind of an annoying glitch.

Wondering if I shouldn't be using the Take 5 for VST's outside of using it for it's own sounds?   But from my understanding that shouldn't be a problem generally.

Any ideas if this is normal or how to potentially fix that?

Thanks

If you disable your Take 5's ability to respond to MIDI data when using it as a controller does that help?

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 11:19:27 PM »

If you disable your Take 5's ability to respond to MIDI data when using it as a controller does that help?

Not sure.  Would that be the Midi Control option or Midi Syx, etc?

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 08:20:40 AM »

If you are using the MIDI Din ports then just unplugging the Take 5's MIDI in would be an easy way to test this.

Otherwise, you can turn off Local control under the Global settings and see if that helps.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 12:09:54 PM »

If you are using the MIDI Din ports then just unplugging the Take 5's MIDI in would be an easy way to test this.

Otherwise, you can turn off Local control under the Global settings and see if that helps.

Turning off local control did seem to work but then it didn't work when I wanted to use it for it's sound.  I guess maybe working at as both at the same time might be more complicated 

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 12:29:42 PM »

Turning off local control did seem to work but then it didn't work when I wanted to use it for it's sound.  I guess maybe working at as both at the same time might be more complicated

Well, Local Off means that the keyboard is transmitting MIDI data but the "local" synth engine ignores said data. So you should still be able to hear the Take 5 using Local Off if you record a MIDI track in Ableton and assign the MIDI output of that track to the Take 5.

I'm finding that developing a DAW workflow with external synths is way harder than keeping it all "in the box" and I'm slowly working it all out myself in Logic, but hopefully another Ableton user will chime in with more specific tips.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 12:34:56 PM by lewisfrancis »

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2023, 03:34:12 PM »

FWIW when Local Control is off I only hear the Take 5 in Logic when its MIDI track Record mode is enabled, or while recording that track.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 12:16:26 PM »

FWIW when Local Control is off I only hear the Take 5 in Logic when its MIDI track Record mode is enabled, or while recording that track.

Thanks for the info.  I'll keep these in mind while trying to figure out how to integrate it.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 05:33:37 PM »
I'm old but, back in the day, we had to worry about "MIDI echo".
This sounds a bit like that.
Input and output have to be separated properly. They can "bounce" back into each other(?)

And, the newer (Sequential) synths have "MIDI In" separated into categories.
And "MIDI Out", also separated into categories.
[That would be the settings in Global/MIDI on my Pro3.]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 05:38:17 PM by Elric »
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2023, 10:37:43 AM »
I'm old but, back in the day, we had to worry about "MIDI echo".

That's a MIDI loop.
I think you are correct -possibly something is allowing MIDI THru, or the DAW has Record Monitoring enabled and the MIDI is  looping back.

gbd

I'm also getting something similar, like stuck notes or huge latency that comes in suddenly and unpredictably.  I got the new Pianoteq iOS app and tried plugging the USB out from the Take5 directly into the iPad via the "camera kit" USB dongle.  Quick fix for the problem is to unplug and plug in the USB cord from the back of the Take 5, and then it seems to work normally.  All MIDI settings I can see in the global menu have been set very conservatively, like I've got local off, most everying else 'off' where applicable, just going for basic MIDI notes out over USB as much as I can.  No MIDI echo or output controls in Pianoteq as far as I can tell.

I'm also getting something similar, like stuck notes or huge latency that comes in suddenly and unpredictably.  I got the new Pianoteq iOS app and tried plugging the USB out from the Take5 directly into the iPad via the "camera kit" USB dongle.  Quick fix for the problem is to unplug and plug in the USB cord from the back of the Take 5, and then it seems to work normally.  All MIDI settings I can see in the global menu have been set very conservatively, like I've got local off, most everying else 'off' where applicable, just going for basic MIDI notes out over USB as much as I can.  No MIDI echo or output controls in Pianoteq as far as I can tell.

I'm not familiar with the Pianoteq iOS app but assume that's the tone source and that the Take 5 is just being a controller? If so, then I wouldn't expect it to matter whether or not Local is set to on or off.

Do you have a way to accept the T5 DIN MIDI out to the Camera Kit input on the iOS device so at least you can break looping by not plugging in the T5's DIN MIDI in?

You should probably contact the app author if no one here has a solution. Good luck!

gbd

I'm not familiar with the Pianoteq iOS app but assume that's the tone source and that the Take 5 is just being a controller? If so, then I wouldn't expect it to matter whether or not Local is set to on or off.

Do you have a way to accept the T5 DIN MIDI out to the Camera Kit input on the iOS device so at least you can break looping by not plugging in the T5's DIN MIDI in?

You should probably contact the app author if no one here has a solution. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I was using the Take5 just as a controller.  I could also leave Local On, and go for a layered sound, or mute the T5 at the mixer, so yes, local shouldn't be relevant.

Think what you're suggesting is getting an inline usb/din mini converter cable, like the Mio 1x1.  I've never had good luck with that kind of device.  They create more problems than they solve, in my experience.  If the problem persists after other troubleshooting I'll give that a try, leaving MIDI in on the T5 disconnected.

I've also noticed that I sometimes get similar MIDI glitches when using my main controller keyboard (Studiologic Numa Compact 2) over USB into my Mac mini running the Pianoteq desktop app/VST.  I think I've pinned it down to the fact that the glitches tend to show up only when I 1) turn on the keyboard and then 2) start the software.  If I 1) start the software and then 2) turn on the keyboard, it seems more stable.

I think it's just coming from the way the MacOS/iOS recognizes new devices appearing on the USB MIDI bus.  I'll have to try the experiment with iOS as well, only plugging in the USB MIDI connection _after_ I've started up the app.

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2024, 08:40:05 AM »
This is a bug with Pro 3 and Take 5. they have not fixed it. they say "we're working on it" since 2020. well guys i worked hard for the $1500 i spent on this god dam thing. fix it. the midi out note on and note off flip because the processor inside the synths is too weak to handle midi correctly. completely unacceptable.

This is a bug with Pro 3 and Take 5. they have not fixed it. they say "we're working on it" since 2020. well guys i worked hard for the $1500 i spent on this god dam thing. fix it. the midi out note on and note off flip because the processor inside the synths is too weak to handle midi correctly. completely unacceptable.

I'm having the same issues happening here, the unplugging of usb cord does temporarily fix the issue, but this seems like Sequential should fix this.