Expressive E Osmose / EaganMatrix

Shaw

Expressive E Osmose / EaganMatrix
« on: January 19, 2023, 08:33:44 AM »
Anyone have any experience with the Eagan Matrix?  Expressive E doesn't have a downloadable manual for the Osmose yet, but I did download the EaganMatrix manual for the Continuum.   Talk about a paradigm shift!!  That thing looks like a tweakers paradise with a STEEP learning curve.

Also curious if anyone knows any tech specs of the Osmose... FPGA? DSP? Sample Rate?
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Re: Expressive E Osmose / EaganMatrix
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 11:36:38 AM »
Yeah, I started reading the EaganMatrix manual the other day as I’m very interested in the Osmose. The keyboard itself looks pretty intuitive; the synth engine much less so. It’s going to take some dedicated study.

Shaw

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 09:32:20 PM »
Yeah, I started reading the EaganMatrix manual the other day as I’m very interested in the Osmose. The keyboard itself looks pretty intuitive; the synth engine much less so. It’s going to take some dedicated study.

Yeah… that synth engine is nowhere as simple as “how do I route this envelope to the filter”… but it appears extremely powerful.  Describing it as “digital modular” seems to be spot on.

I tend to think I can learn anything given enough time.  I’m not overly smart… just persistent.  :)   

Just out of curiosity, I reached out to the Expressive E folks to inquire about the processor and sample rate.  They responded that the Osmose uses Analog Devices SHARC processors (which are the same used by the NeuralDSP Quad Cortex).   The will get back to me on the sample rate.  I’m hoping they don’t come back with “yeah, we’re running at 48k”  :D
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 10:28:03 AM »
I have been playing the Osmose since beginning of January. It is truly an amazing, definitively a live players, instrument. For me a total game changer. Playing the Osmose has very much put a flame under my desire to learn to play properly: practicing my scales on the Osmose each and every day so far this year.

Each patch is unique and the same patch can sound dramatically different when played with a different playing style

I have fired up the EaganMatrix once and connected it to the Osmose and certainly want to explore it in a lot more detail. As  Shaw said, persistence is the key  :)

For now I am content to change the synth parameters through the front panel. These are, I believe, represented in the EaganMatrix as macros. Many patches have a different set of synth parameters. Some of the parameters I have investigated so far are filter cutoff, envelop time, noise oscillator level, oscillator vowel types,  layer mix balance, something called "layer structure", delay effects (non-global) and there are many more.

On top of that there are the global effects parameters, which are a reverb, several delays and echos. Each of those global effects has a few parameters that can tweak the effect. There is a tilted eq facility, which can be tilted to favor bass at the cost of treble and vice versa. The frequency tilt axes can be changed. This really helps with the analog style patches and can take out the harshness if it is in the patch.

As the dynamic range of the sound engine is huge, there is also a compressor & gain section. I haven't played with that part yet.

I have to say that this is my very first synth where I have sat down and structurally listened and investigated all presets. I even made a list of the presets I liked most and I am in the process of slowly diving deeper into each of those while I practice at the same time.

Of course I was very interested how the Osmose would sound in the mix with some of my other synths. I have a track on my Soundcloud account featuring the Rev2, Digitone and some Eurorack modules and the Osmose. Rev2, Digitone and Eurorack (via the Niftykeyz) sequenced by the Digitone, Osmose played live. Direct recording into Bitwig with a bit of mastering by Izotope Ozone. Track starts with a Rev2 bass and next instrument is the Osmose (easily spotted as I used the amazing " pressure glide" feature a tat too much ..... ).
https://soundcloud.com/gezz_havinga/learning-to-play-the-osmose-part-01
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 10:38:13 AM »
There is some info about the EaganMatrix development and the ideas behind it, with input from the man himself (long video):

https://youtu.be/2h7Qfq0_V0A

« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 11:14:47 AM by Gerry Havinga »

Shaw

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 02:31:58 AM »
I have been playing the Osmose since beginning of January. It is truly an amazing, definitively a live players, instrument. For me a total game changer. Playing the Osmose has very much put a flame under my desire to learn to play properly: practicing my scales on the Osmose each and every day so far this year.

I can see that.  For me this instrument seems to bring the keyboard format about as close to guitar like expressiveness as possible.  That is a huge draw for me.  Synths often use a lot of modulation routings to try try to replicate what instrumentalists do intuitively with real world instruments.

Each patch is unique and the same patch can sound dramatically different when played with a different playing style

I have fired up the EaganMatrix once and connected it to the Osmose and certainly want to explore it in a lot more detail. As  Shaw said, persistence is the key  :)

I’m trying to think of another synth whose mod matrix approaches the EaganMatrix… the only thing I’ve thought of is Kurzweil’s VAST synthesis.  Maybe there are others?  Coincidentally, my first synth that I played and learned on was a Kurzweil K2000.

For now I am content to change the synth parameters through the front panel. These are, I believe, represented in the EaganMatrix as macros. Many patches have a different set of synth parameters. Some of the parameters I have investigated so far are filter cutoff, envelop time, noise oscillator level, oscillator vowel types,  layer mix balance, something called "layer structure", delay effects (non-global) and there are many more.

This is another draw.  Many presets are more akin to a new instrument than just a preset.  At least in terms of sound and expressiveness.

On top of that there are the global effects parameters, which are a reverb, several delays and echos. Each of those global effects has a few parameters that can tweak the effect. There is a tilted eq facility, which can be tilted to favor bass at the cost of treble and vice versa. The frequency tilt axes can be changed. This really helps with the analog style patches and can take out the harshness if it is in the patch.

As the dynamic range of the sound engine is huge, there is also a compressor & gain section. I haven't played with that part yet.

I have to say that this is my very first synth where I have sat down and structurally listened and investigated all presets. I even made a list of the presets I liked most and I am in the process of slowly diving deeper into each of those while I practice at the same time.

I’m curious how those effects sound.  I’m not a huge fan of recording synths with effects for a couple of reasons… 1) I like the flexibility of recording a dry sound and dialing in effects later.  2) I spend good money on effects processors that sound better — so I figure I should use them.  But I do like playing synths with effects just to have an idea of the “finished sound” I’m going for — even if I record it dry.

Of course I was very interested how the Osmose would sound in the mix with some of my other synths. I have a track on my Soundcloud account featuring the Rev2, Digitone and some Eurorack modules and the Osmose. Rev2, Digitone and Eurorack (via the Niftykeyz) sequenced by the Digitone, Osmose played live. Direct recording into Bitwig with a bit of mastering by Izotope Ozone. Track starts with a Rev2 bass and next instrument is the Osmose (easily spotted as I used the amazing " pressure glide" feature a tat too much ..... ).

I look forward to giving this a listen when I am at my monitors (the phone I’m on now won’t do it any Justice)…

Cheers!

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 06:30:00 AM »
I’m curious how those effects sound.  I’m not a huge fan of recording synths with effects for a couple of reasons… 1) I like the flexibility of recording a dry sound and dialing in effects later.  2) I spend good money on effects processors that sound better — so I figure I should use them.  But I do like playing synths with effects just to have an idea of the “finished sound” I’m going for — even if I record it dry.
I totally agree with you here. The effects algorithms running on the Eagan Matrix/Osmose are OK, but not really that special. Mind you on the reverb there are two interesting "damping" and "darkness" parameters, adjusting those can really improve the on-board reverb sound. I currently have the Osmose running with a Lexicon MX400 (Chorus + Large Hall custom patch) and they sound fantastic together.

I keep bothering myself, the thoughts are quite persistent, that I didn't pursue the investigation about attempting to increase the Prophet X disk space. These thoughts have stopped me contributing to this forum. I over promised and could, with the time available, not deliver. I apologize Shaw, that I went dark and did not pursue the investigation.

Shaw

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2023, 06:49:46 AM »
I keep bothering myself, the thoughts are quite persistent, that I didn't pursue the investigation about attempting to increase the Prophet X disk space. These thoughts have stopped me contributing to this forum. I over promised and could, with the time available, not deliver. I apologize Shaw, that I went dark and did not pursue the investigation.

No worries and absolutely no need to apologize.  That is something Sequential should have addressed. In actuality, I no longer own a Prophet X. I moved to Thailand from the U.S. (which caused me to sell all my gear) and am now rebuilding my personal music studio. I basically have almost everything… except a synth. (well, I have a Linnstrument and softsynths, but not the same). Space is a premium. So I am looking for 1 synth. Considering the Osmose, Iridium/Quantum, Hydrasynth… something MPE capable.

… at any rate, please don’t have a second thought about the Prophet X drive space on my account.  I haven’t thought about in forever, and certainly never had any negative thoughts about you in regards to that (or anything else for that matter).

Shaw

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2023, 06:51:36 AM »
I totally agree with you here. The effects algorithms running on the Eagan Matrix/Osmose are OK, but not really that special. Mind you on the reverb there are two interesting "damping" and "darkness" parameters, adjusting those can really improve the on-board reverb sound. I currently have the Osmose running with a Lexicon MX400 (Chorus + Large Hall custom patch) and they sound fantastic together.

I bet it sounds gorgeous through that Lexicon Chorused Hall!   8)

Shaw

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2023, 10:09:43 AM »

Finally got a chance to listen that on proper monitors... sounds REALLY nice.  The Osmose seems to just ooze organic tone.  Well done, and thanks for sharing.

Shaw

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 06:37:14 PM »
OK… I’m on the wait list for one these puppies… mid-April is the target with SW.

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2023, 01:43:11 PM »
OK… I’m on the wait list for one these puppies… mid-April is the target with SW.
Great, I don't  think you will be disappointed. The Osmose is also a great MPE controller keyboard, controlling MPE enabled VSTs for example.

This is my second, practice recording, Evolvers/Deep Mind 12D/Pro 3 and Osmose with a tat of MX400. I play two patches on the Osmose. Recording is live in the studio. Cirklon plays the other instruments.

https://soundcloud.com/gezz_havinga/learning-to-play-the-osmose-part-2

I am slowly improving my playing style. Learning new tricks and improving my skills. Last weekend I managed to get the EaganMatrix editor to work, created my very first patch (based on an existing factory patch) and saved it to the first user slot in the Osmose. The EaganMatrix editor is quite something .... It will take me some time to really get to grips with it. Very powerful though.

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2023, 03:45:15 AM »
I ordered one of these last week. Very excited by this. I had been toying with a Hydrasynth deluxe to get access to polyphonic aftertouch but the Osmose is several steps up.

Shaw

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2023, 06:00:31 PM »
Great, I don't  think you will be disappointed. The Osmose is also a great MPE controller keyboard, controlling MPE enabled VSTs for example.

This is my second, practice recording, Evolvers/Deep Mind 12D/Pro 3 and Osmose with a tat of MX400. I play two patches on the Osmose. Recording is live in the studio. Cirklon plays the other instruments.

https://soundcloud.com/gezz_havinga/learning-to-play-the-osmose-part-2

I am slowly improving my playing style. Learning new tricks and improving my skills. Last weekend I managed to get the EaganMatrix editor to work, created my very first patch (based on an existing factory patch) and saved it to the first user slot in the Osmose. The EaganMatrix editor is quite something .... It will take me some time to really get to grips with it. Very powerful though.

That’s a great sounding recording.  Very expressive.  Constantly amazed at how orgainic and acoustic the Osmose sounds.

I’m very much looking forward to the EaganMatrix. Your tactic of creating your first patch by modifying an existing preset seems like the quickest way to learn to program this thing. 

In terms of power, I keep wanting to compare it to Kurzweil’s VAST.  Infinitely flexible.

Keep making the sound demos.  They’re great!

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2023, 12:17:26 PM »
Learning to play the Osmose recording 3A.

https://soundcloud.com/gezz_havinga/learning-to-play-the-osmose-3a

I feel that I am slowly succeeding in expressing some emotion. Continue to improve and develop my playing style on the Osmose. The chord sequences are part of some of my music theory homework  :).

The really inspiring aspect expressing emotion is not just the note bending (by wiggling the keys), but also very much the ability (using channel after touch) to use my fingers as an envelope (in this case for the VCA).

The patch is called "replicant dreams" (of course). The delay/reverb is provided by the Meris Polymoon and, I believe, it sounds amazing. No further processing, directly recorded at 48Khz to SD card on my Zoom L-20. The different stems imported into Bitwig where I applied some volume adjustments (no EQ and no mastering).

I have printed the Eaganmatrix manual (127 pages) and started watching some very basic tutorials. I hope to be able to spend some time this coming weekend, creating my first patch from scratch (a sine wave will do ;) )

There will also be a 3b using the same chords, different preset, combined with some of my other instruments. But I am not happy yet with my playing style

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2023, 02:11:09 AM »
Yesterday I managed my first "patch from scratch" for the EaganMatrix. It actually is easier than I thought. When you get used to the quirkiness of the GUI it starts to become really interesting.

This simple patch is based on 5 sine oscillators and makes use of:

• channel pressure (Z value) to be able to play softly or louder depending on key pressure.
  • the value of X (which is keyboard values translated to frequencies) and multiple thereof to calculate the octaves for the higher registers - creating an organ style sound
  • value of Y (polyphonic after touch) is used to morph the oscillators towards saws

The interesting elements I explored here is that it is possible to use constants to offset parameters of each other. I used this for the poly after touch. Which creates a kind of stereo effect when the oscillators morph away from the sine towards the saw, just a bit independent of each other. Not unlike the stereo filter (L / R) mod matrix destinations in the Prophet X and the Evolvers.

I uploaded the patch here:

https://patchstorage.com/simpleorgan01-osmose/

When I get to it I will upload a demo of the patch to my Soundcloud account.

There is a lot to explore here. This will keep me busy for a long time.

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2023, 11:43:58 AM »
Learning the Eaganmatrix and preparing for our next live performance is taking up all my free time. Apologies for me having to delay the Osmose sound demo uploads.

Apparently the first US based orders are being delivered, so there will be a flurry of new demos and uploads coming soon hopefully.

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2023, 04:21:33 AM »
Finally managed to "finish" and upload my next "homework" track, this time also featuring the Hydrasynth controlled from the Osmose and a factory patch of the Osmose itself.

No awards here for composition  :) It's a very simple chord sequence. My main objective I want to work on for this year is to be able to play the Osmose & Hydrasynth with expression in a live situation. This track is result of ongoing practice. The Cirklon is controlling, using it's CV and gate outputs, two Eurorack oscillators (Instruo's Troika).

Track starts with one Instruo Troika oscillator, filtered by Mr Philter with delay from the Nostalgia. The Hydrasynh is in full "MPE" mode using a patch I created from scratch. The amp envelopes are controlled by the key press (channel pressure/poly aftertouch) on the Osmose.

Next the Osmose comes in where I play factory patch "classicana lead", with the "glide" set to 1 semitone.
Second time around I added the second Troika oscillator, through Forbidden Planet filter (I need more hands and dexterity to play the Osmose and control the Cirklon simultaneously, ha ha).

The track finishes with the Hydrasynth patch. It is truly awesome to control the envelopes just by adjusting playing style and per note!

https://soundcloud.com/gezz_havinga/learning-to-play-the-osmose-3b

Perhaps some of you are following the Osmose / Eaganmatrix discussions on gearspace. But there is some confusion about MPE terminology and the X and Y dimensions relating to channel pressure and polyphonic after touch. I did have to create patches specific for this on the Hydrasynth. But it is definitely worth it.

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2023, 03:28:07 AM »
Latest attempt to play "live" using the Osmose and the Pro3 and Hydrasynth.

First time I have created a patch for the Eaganmatrix that I wanted to use in a track.

As several people already have pointed out in other fora, playing the Osmose musically requires some practicing! But it is a lot of fun to learn.

I have used the Osmose / Eaganmatrix pressure weighted portamento (over 1 octave) playing with the right hand. Works a treat for in-tro's and out-tro's  :)

https://soundcloud.com/gezz_havinga/learning-to-play-the-osmose-4