Why aren't DSI desktops also designed to fit in a rack?

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Why aren't DSI desktops also designed to fit in a rack?
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2023, 12:02:26 PM »
Yes, I agree.  Sequential has lost much of the original boutique-ness possessed by DSI.  Different principles seem to be now at work.  That much is obvious just from trying to communicate with them by email.  In the early days, I could send them a message at any time during the day and be certain to receive an email back by 10 PM.  It was wonderful.  Recently, I sent them two or three emails.  I was inquiring about a couple of things, including directly purchasing a Rev2.  After all these years, I was finally able to buy one!  But I never heard back, not even after several weeks.  At the same time, a DSI Prophet '08 appeared on Reverb in excellent condition and for a reasonable price.  So, what do you think I did?  Yup - I bought the P'08 and have no regrets.  I guess I'll never see a Rev2.

I don't perceive the company as I used to.  The one instrument that I would most like to buy is no longer a Sequential synthesizer, but the Korg ARP 2600M.  It actually makes me sad.

The instruments that I take to be representative of Sequential's future direction are not the Prophet 5/10 or the OB-X8, but the synthesizers of an entirely new design.  And that's where we see the lack of module versions.  I had seriously considered both the Pro 3 and the Take 5, presuming there would be a module version of each.  Two Pro 3 Modules could have happily replaced my two Odysseys.  Oh well. 

I'm honestly trying to like the new company, but it isn't working.  Sequential is looking like any other decent synthesizer company.  I know others will argue that it's all necessary and that this is what growth and progress look like in the modern market.  I realize that.  But these changes don't serve everyone's needs and purposes.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 02:32:07 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LPF83

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2023, 12:34:21 PM »
Yes, I agree.  Sequential has lost some of the original boutique-ness possessed by DSI.  Different principles seem to be now at work.  That much is obvious just from trying to communicate with them by email.  In the early days, I could send them a message at any time during the day and be certain to receive an email back by 10 PM.  It was wonderful.  Recently, I sent them two or three emails.  I was inquiring about directly purchasing a Rev2.  After all these years, I was finally able to buy one!  But I never heard back, not even after several weeks.  At the same time, a DSI Prophet '08 appeared on Reverb in excellent condition and for a reasonable price.  So, what do you think I did?  Yup - I bought the P'08 and have no regrets. 

I don't perceive the company as I used to.  The one instrument that I would most like to buy is no longer a Dave Smith Instruments/Sequential synthesizer, but the Korg ARP 2600M.  It actually makes me sad.

The instruments that I take to be representative of Sequential's future direction are not the Prophet 5/10 or the OB-X8, but the synthesizers of an entirely new design.  And that's where we see the lack of module versions.  I had seriously considered both the Pro 3 and the Take 5, presuming there would be a module version of each.  Two Pro 3 Modules could have replaced my two Odysseys.  Oh well! 

I'm honestly trying to like the new company, but it isn't working.  It's beginning to seem like any other synthesizer company.

I look at it all differently.  I think Dave is somewhat of a hero for selling to Focusrite -- because if he hadn't, and had met an untimely death, Sequential would have just been gone overnight, with key employees all taking jobs at different companies, and more than likely the Oberheim merger would have never been possible.  The OB-X8 likely would have never happened at all.  I know not everyone cares about the Prophet 5/10 or the OB polys but these were both bucket-list synths for me, and now they are realities (well soon in the case of the OB-X8).  So I'm looking forward to what might emerge in the future.

Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2023, 08:18:33 PM »
At the end of the day, all that matters is how you speak with your wallet. If the company isn’t releasing or doing anything that you are truly passionate about then it’s just money saved for you. I think their next synthesizer will be a key indicator of where the company is going as it will be the first product that won’t have Dave’s involvement.

Personally speaking I was liking where the company was heading. Sort of a darker, punky and rebellious type approach with more futuristic, industrial oriented instruments that sounded pissed off. The Prophet X, Pro 3...then they sort of took a step backwards...which is okay...I dig the Trigon 6 and Take 5 but I would hate to think that we are going to get robbed of a VCO/Wavetable hybrid poly from Sequential or even another drum machine. It’s okay if that’s the case because like I said, it saves me money but there’s still going to be part of me that thinks “what a waste.”

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2023, 02:19:08 AM »

I don't perceive the company as I used to.  The one instrument that I would most like to buy is no longer a Sequential synthesizer, but the Korg ARP 2600M.  It actually makes me sad.

The instruments that I take to be representative of Sequential's future direction are not the Prophet 5/10 or the OB-X8, but the synthesizers of an entirely new design.  And that's where we see the lack of module versions.  I had seriously considered both the Pro 3 and the Take 5, presuming there would be a module version of each.  Two Pro 3 Modules could have happily replaced my two Odysseys.  Oh well. 

I'm honestly trying to like the new company, but it isn't working.  Sequential is looking like any other decent synthesizer company.  I know others will argue that it's all necessary and that this is what growth and progress look like in the modern market.  I realize that.  But these changes don't serve everyone's needs and purposes.

I don't understand this take at all. Previously, still under Dave Smith, they decided to make the Prophet 5/10 and the OBX8. Previously they had released the Prophet 6 and OB6 - which while being more 'hybrid' in some senses, are still essentially classic analog poly synths.

There have been desktop versions released of all of those synths. There were no desktop versions of the Pro 2 as far as I remember, or the Prophet X. The Trigon 6 is the exception so far, and I am sure that the release of a potential of a desktop version will depend on sales of the Trigon - this is all happening while people are feeling a crunch financially across all of their main markets.

I therefore don't see the leap to saying that the new direction 'isn't working', they haven't even had the time to release a new product since!

In regards the support side of things, of course any time there is a take over by a bigger company there may be some initial issues etc., and maybe from this point there may be a slightly less 'personal' touch - but let's not pretend Focusrite are some huge, massive corporation - they have fewer than 500 employees themselves.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2023, 07:59:59 AM »

I don't understand this take at all.

As I said, I was referring only to the last four new designs, none of which have had a module version since the Rev2.  This new direction isn't working for me.  That was my obvious point.  This signals a change in something that was a primary attraction for me.  As for the instruments that have been given modules, they're fundamentally old designs that are astronomically expensive.  This is obviously due to the shift to VCO-based instruments.  The older DCO-based instruments still sounded great and were much more affordable.

I don't know how far back you go with this company, but so many years ago it offered a nice range of products and prices.  You could buy small instruments for only a few hundred dollars and design and build up your own little synthesizer system.  Each addition increased the number of voices and the stereo/multi-timbral capabilities, so that the system was more than merely an odd assortment of parts.  It was a reasonable, flexible, and original approach to synthesis.  Those possibilities are now gone, unless you look to Reverb and Ebay.

Before I'm told again that...Focusrite, the market, business needs, growth in a competitive field...yeah, I get all that.  Let Sequential do as they must to serve a business objective, to make superb high-end instruments at a profit.  As a long-time fan and patron of theirs, I wish them only the best into the future.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 06:08:09 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2023, 09:45:30 AM »
As I said, I was referring only to the last four new designs, none of which have had a module version since the Rev2.  This new direction isn't working for me.  That was my obvious point.  This signals a change in something that was a primary attraction.  As for the instruments that have been given modules, they're fundamentally old designs that are astronomically expensive.  This is obviously due to the shift to VCO-based instruments.

A. Has Sequential ever made a desktop out of their monosynths? I don't think criticizing them for not making one of the Pro-3 is valid at all.
B. The Take 5 is a budget compact synth by itself, I think that it's in the same category as a monosynth for reasons why it's not a module.
C. The Trigon-6 is in the -6 format. Did those all get desktops at the same time as the keyboard release, or was there a delay for some of them?
D. I'm not sure about the -X. It seemed like the whole point was to compete with the Nord Stage series, effectively. A desktop version of this one doesn't make sense to me either.

I don't see the pattern that you're suggesting was somehow broken, personally. They seem so far quite consistent. I expect a Trigon-6 desktop at some point, depending on chips, market demand, and economics. If they don't, then ok, a single pattern will be broken. But to say it's a change of direction for the company... I don't buy it.
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2023, 10:52:04 AM »
To anyone wondering, it's pretty much the same support team here at Sequential! We have added a couple of new folks to meet global support demands, and that's about it.

If you have a technical support issue, please use the support request form to get in touch with us. Emails sent elsewhere may not make it into our queue, which would explain why no one got back to the poster above (we answer every email in our support queue).
Sequential | Oberheim

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2023, 10:54:55 AM »
Timboreale, I'm not going to argue about a personal opinion.  I'm simply saying that things are not serving one person's preferences as once they did.  It's not a definitive judgment, but only one man's opinion. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 06:50:08 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2023, 10:57:48 AM »
Emails sent elsewhere may not make it into our queue, which would explain why no one got back to the poster above (we answer every email in our support queue).

I'm familiar with the protocol.  But I've sent several emails to support over the past year, with no response.  I do understand an occasional mistake.  But there's one more waiting for you right now.  Please get back to me.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 12:06:09 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2023, 11:13:16 AM »

A. Has Sequential ever made a desktop out of their monosynths? I don't think criticizing them for not making one of the Pro-3 is valid at all.

B. The Take 5 is a budget compact synth by itself, I think that it's in the same category as a monosynth for reasons why it's not a module.

C. The Trigon-6 is in the -6 format. Did those all get desktops at the same time as the keyboard release, or was there a delay for some of them?

D. I'm not sure about the -X. It seemed like the whole point was to compete with the Nord Stage series, effectively. A desktop version of this one doesn't make sense to me either.

A)  DSI's first instrument was a mono synth module - the Evolver Desktop.  Then there was the Mopho Module and the Tetra (a 4-voice).

B) The Take 5 would be an excellent module, much like the Tetra.

C) There was usually a delay of something like six months, but we were generally sure the module was coming.

D) But it's still one more example of my point.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 12:01:33 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2023, 12:06:34 PM »
Hi there, Sacred Synthesis. I don't see an email from you in our support queue (to note, every ticket in the daily queue gets answered - nothing is left to linger). Can I ask to what email address you sent your support request? If you created a support ticket, what's the ticket number? Do you recall who your support tech was?

*edited for clarity
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 12:12:10 PM by Oblong »
Sequential | Oberheim

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2023, 12:13:18 PM »
Oblong,

That's strange, because I already received the standard company notice saying you've received my email.  I've received those in the past, too, but with no follow-up. 

I've always sent emails 1) directly to Tracy and 2) to the email address given on your "Contact Support" page - both.  Anyway, I sent you a PM. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 01:59:52 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2023, 12:43:06 PM »
To anyone wondering, it's pretty much the same support team here at Sequential! We have added a couple of new folks to meet global support demands, and that's about it.

If you have a technical support issue, please use the support request form to get in touch with us. Emails sent elsewhere may not make it into our queue, which would explain why no one got back to the poster above (we answer every email in our support queue).

Would you mind taking a look at the Prophet X and Pro 3s sections of the forum please?. There’s quite a number of people having the same issue and we are hoping to get a statement from someone at Sequential. One person has given up and is just selling their bricked synth for parts now due to apparent lack of support.

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2023, 12:55:17 PM »
Greetings, gentle folk. We're all quite busy, as you can guess, so the forum is not the best place to make support requests. I try to keep an eye on it when I can get the chance, but opening a support ticket is the very best way to bring our attention to an issue. Once we have your tickets, we can move quickly to resolve any issues you may be having.

Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2023, 12:17:58 PM »
https://www.sequential.com/product/trigon-6-desktop-module/

..in case there were still any doubters  ;)