Arpeggiator modes

sacguy71

• synth enthusiast
Arpeggiator modes
« on: January 14, 2023, 12:07:56 PM »
Quick question as I learn my new OB X8, can you enable the arpeggiator mode to hold so when I play a chord it keeps playing that pattern until I change it? I can do this on my Virus TI2 and if possible on the OB X8 that would be awesome!
Oberheim OB X-8
Access Virus TI2
Squarp Hapax
Electron Rytm MK2
Moog Sub 37
Elektron Digitone
Elektron Analog 4
Tons of Eurorack modular

Re: Arpeggiator modes
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 04:24:46 AM »
Quick question as I learn my new OB X8, can you enable the arpeggiator mode to hold so when I play a chord it keeps playing that pattern until I change it? I can do this on my Virus TI2 and if possible on the OB X8 that would be awesome!

No.  The OB's arpeggiator doesn't do that.  I talked with Marcus about this at Knobcon and made an 'in-person" Request For Enhancement - can it be made to work like other arpeggiators, but he basically shot it down pretty quickly.  He pointed out that the OB does things, cool things, that other arpeggiators don't do, and that adds to the overall special nature of the synth.  Could they make it work like arps on loads of other synths? Sure, but this one is different.  Embrace it!  He's not wrong IMO, and I have been embracing it. :-)

HOWEVER - I do really like the way other arpeggiators work, which is one of the reasons I got an LFE.  The LFE has a more "standard" arpeggiator, so now I get the best of both worlds. And you can have the LFEs arp arpeggiate the OB's arp, so combined they got to whole new places.  Booyah!
Rev2, Pro3, OB-X8, Kronos, Summit, Hydrasynth, Subsequent37, Taurus III, Iridium, Opsix, Eurorack

Re: Arpeggiator modes0 They don't work??
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 09:48:27 AM »
I'm sorry but the arpeggiator on this synth is unusable? It's such as basic feature an this is a total pile of shite. This has to be addressed in the next os update. All of the DS synths have super arpeggiators/ sequencers. And so does the 0b6 - Regarding embracing the arpeggiator - there is nothing to embrace? It doesn't work properly? I can't even get mine to go up or down in a single line as expected?

Does anyone else have this problem? For £4.5 k I expect this to work perfectly.
Matrix 12
TVS Pro
OBX8
Moog one/ Voyager
Alesis Andromeda
Jupiter 6/2 /Juno 60/ JD 800
Sequential TB/ Pro One
Chroma
Waldorf Quantum

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 07:35:56 AM »
If there is one thing I have learned after playing synths since the 1970s - there is no perfect synth.

Sure they can build it, but you won't be able to afford it.

Circuit3

• synthpop electropop artist
    • Circuit3 - synthpop for the masses!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 01:43:05 AM »
The arpeggiator implementation is very poor.  The screamingly obvious bug which renders the Hold feature unusable needs fixing. I’m surprised it hasn’t already been addressed. 
My new album “Technology For The Youth” is out now on Vinyl CD and Digital at  http://circuit3.Bandcamp.com

“Brilliant retro-futurist orbiting synths…evocative electronic music for stolen futures” Electronic Sound Magazine

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 06:39:50 PM »
Since we are on the arp subject.  I’m trying to work in split mode with an arpeggiated 16th note bass on the bottom which is a saved preset and an organ patch on the top but when I do this the organ also becomes arpeggiated.  Trying to play VH Feels So Good, is this possible?  Thanks

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 09:49:35 AM »

+1 please add this functionality.

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 02:21:20 AM »
I don’t agree to the complain of the arpeggiator: This is an old school synth with it’s unique DNA. Many people have wrong expectations of a vintage/vintage style synth and lack understanding of the beauty of simplicity.

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 09:40:40 AM »
Personally I would be fine with the quirks of it's operation and different hold mode if (frustratingly, like all of sequentials synths) the arpeggiator clock didn't reset every single time you hit a new note unless you legato move to another chord while always keeping a key down (this usually also messes with arp patterns having an extra wrong note from the previous chord if you don't time it absolutely perfectly.) Because of the lack of a latching and changeable hold mode, the only way to play an arpeggiated part that changes notes is to hold the keys down the entire time, but every time you switch chords it jumps the clock to start early or late out of time again. This is with the internal clock, clock sync input and midi synced clock. IDK why they do this on all their synths but its exacerbated on this one because of the lack of standard latching hold mode. Even a global setting to make the clock never reset like on most other arps (Juno 60, Moog Grandmother, Arturia Keystep, even my old Sequential Prophet VS) would be appreciated. They've added an "arp beat sync" option to lots of their synths, but in my experience that setting makes absolutely no difference to this behavior.

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 10:17:15 AM »
It's sort of a weird conundrum. People lust for vintage style synths and approaches but with that it's sort of a "embrace the warts or don't" type of thing.

That being said...on a synth that's $5000+ it's pretty ridiculous to dismiss feature requests of things that are readily available on much more economical gear simple on the basis of "It's old school." The OBX8 and REV 4 synths are not point to point wired instruments...so the justification of "Well it's old school" is kind of silly.

Circuit3

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 10:26:32 AM »
If it was “old school” + “working” I’d be happy. Hold a chord with the arpeggiator and press “hold”. It’s unusable. 
My new album “Technology For The Youth” is out now on Vinyl CD and Digital at  http://circuit3.Bandcamp.com

“Brilliant retro-futurist orbiting synths…evocative electronic music for stolen futures” Electronic Sound Magazine

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 10:28:43 AM »
If it was “old school” + “working” I’d be happy. Hold a chord with the arpeggiator and press “hold”. It’s unusable.

I hear ya but it took while to convince Dave Smith to implement beat sync and MIDI out data on Sequential's arps/sequencers because he was a creature of habit and it wasn't originally implemented on the original MIDI spec.

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 01:16:06 PM »

Then sell it - there are people standing in line to buy one that have right expectations.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2023, 03:01:50 PM »
I’d love to see them just add some additional Page 2 Arpeggiator options, so the original flavor can be maintained, but those who want these additional features can make better use of the synth in the workflows they’ve developed in recent decades. 

I’m not a huge fan of the Rev2 arpeggiator either - the latch mode on that doesn’t release what it’s playing when you hit new keys, it just adds more notes, but for me it’s better than the X8. At least you can set it to Hold, then hit some notes with both hands and it starts on the beat.  It also lets you dial in a BPM…

I think we will get some improvements here in time. Best we keep squeaking. ;-)
Rev2, Pro3, OB-X8, Kronos, Summit, Hydrasynth, Subsequent37, Taurus III, Iridium, Opsix, Eurorack

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2023, 03:07:18 AM »
For arpeggiator I use the MIDI plugin at Logic Pro, extremly powerful but still very simple. Here an example from a jam session with the arpeggiator last week, with a Waldorf MicroWave XT but can be applied to the OB-X8 as well and record all CC movements as we did here:

https://youtu.be/1dmP4jZ26PE

Circuit3

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2023, 07:31:01 AM »

Then sell it - there are people standing in line to buy one that have right expectations.

Oh please.  Have you even used it?  Are you seriously suggesting that the hold function is working correctly?  Hold a chord with the arpeggiator on and then press the hold button.   

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2023, 08:24:21 AM »

Oh please.  Have you even used it?  Are you seriously suggesting that the hold function is working correctly?  Hold a chord with the arpeggiator on and then press the hold button.

Of course I have!! And it works perfectly well for the DNA it is a line of, without any mutations. For more advanced arpeggiator operations there are modern tools such the arpeggiator at Logic Pro as mentioned above. Again: It all comes  back to expectations.

I trust Tom Oberheim, Dave Smith and Marcus Ryle had discussed it, knowing exactly what they were doing. Who am I to add anything to their strategy of of building the worlds best synthesizers in history, saying hey wait, I have thought about something you missed! It would be the most pathetic thing I would done among all pathetic stupid things I’ve done.

Circuit3

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2023, 09:37:17 AM »
It literally skips when you engage the hold button.  On what planet is that intended behaviour?

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2023, 02:23:50 PM »

Of course I have!! And it works perfectly well for the DNA it is a line of, without any mutations. For more advanced arpeggiator operations there are modern tools such the arpeggiator at Logic Pro as mentioned above. Again: It all comes  back to expectations.

I trust Tom Oberheim, Dave Smith and Marcus Ryle had discussed it, knowing exactly what they were doing. Who am I to add anything to their strategy of of building the worlds best synthesizers in history, saying hey wait, I have thought about something you missed! It would be the most pathetic thing I would done among all pathetic stupid things I’ve done.

Seeing as both Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim implemented firmware updates with more features on their most recent synths I would suggest they weren't snobs about listening to feedback.

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2023, 02:34:38 PM »
It literally skips when you engage the hold button.  On what planet is that intended behaviour?

This is what happens when nostalgia is the driving force behind things. Keep in mind, there's nothing wrong with nostalgia but I do feel it starts to create a bit of a skewed mindset when it comes to these type of things.

I was watching a video the other day and it asked the question "Are companies rushing out incomplete instruments?" in regards to OS updates/bugs/missing features etc. Not that I agree with that totally but I do get the impression that instruments are given a short window to be developed to their full potential before the company just moves on to the next instrument and it's the majority of it's catalog becomes abandonware. I think a lot of them sort of thrive on that fanboy/blind agreement type consumer and I'm seeing more and more companies push back against things like bug fixes/new features. Maybe it's a case of "strike while the iron is hot. Get their money and move on before they get tied down."