Patch increment knob on the PX.

Patch increment knob on the PX.
« on: January 11, 2023, 03:54:58 AM »
Does anyone have the issue with their patch increment knob misbehaving. ie jumping past the patch that you select. I use the up and down buttons but I have read that others do have this problem at times. Or is it just my Prophet X, I have had my PX forever 4 years, and that's the only issue I have had with it, apart from that its been brilliant.

Thanks

Russ.

Re: Patch increment knob on the PX.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 08:42:32 AM »
Does anyone have the issue with their patch increment knob misbehaving. ie jumping past the patch that you select. I use the up and down buttons but I have read that others do have this problem at times. Or is it just my Prophet X, I have had my PX forever 4 years, and that's the only issue I have had with it, apart from that its been brilliant.

Thanks

Russ.

Yes. I have this issue. Had the PX since 2019 and it's always been like that.
Not every time I use it but often a bit jumpy as you say.

Thanks

Jago
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 09:17:33 AM by Julienne Fractals »
Prophet X. Prophet 12 Module. Prophet 6 Module. Ob-6 Module. Trigon-6 Module. Eventide H9000R (x2). Tegeler Audio Schwerkraftmaschine / Raumzeitmaschine / Creme RC (x3). Bettermaker Mastering Limiter, Mastering EQ, Mastering Compressor. Avid S3.
Mac Studio. Logic.

blewis

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 05:08:50 PM »
It’s been a while since I installed a new OS. I was on 2.2.0.0 and I just upgraded to 2.2.2.0.0 and the patch knob is laggy AF.

I do not recall it being that bad before. I didn’t take any measurements but noticed it immediately after installing 2.2.2.0.0

Maybe laggy AF isn’t the right word, it’s more that the display does not keep up with the clicks of the encoder. So if I try to fast twirl from patch 10 to 20, I used to be able to see it take place on screen now. Now it just lags and skips from 10-20 but in a way that makes it impossible to land right on 20 because it’s hiding how many increments you’re doing.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 05:11:54 PM by blewis »

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 08:56:04 AM »
I actually just thought of this but the SSD has to load every time you go thru a patch, it maybe a bit jumpy because of this. Just a thought. It does not do it every time, but it jumps a patch above or the one below, but when it settles its ok. Honestly think its down to loading patches....but using the up and down button it behaves itself. I also notice it jumps sometimes when scrolling thru samples, both A and B, but its not a deal breaker, but Im glad Im not the only one who has this issue...can u call it an issue tbh?.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 09:42:21 AM »
It does take time to load each preset because you're loading up to 1.5GB in samples, not just the preset data.  It would be nice if it did this once you paused on a given preset instead of doing so as aggressively as it does, but I've never found it too frustrating.

Really early on I found other endless encoders would skip values frequently but one of the early firmware updates took care of that issue for me.  I haven't really noticed a problem since.

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 01:46:24 PM »

I might be wrong but my impression is that the OP isn’t referring to simple screen refresh lag or delay due to the ssd being accessed …but actual erratic and jumpy behavior from the encoder itself.
If that is the case then yes, count me among those who are experiencing the exact same phenomenon. I too, have owned my PX for about 4 years and have recently started to notice the very same thing with that one knob …and only that one knob. I’ve been on the latest OS since it was released, I have baby’d the heck out of this board and have only used it at home in a dry cool place, out of direct sunlight and unplugged and covered whenever not in use …so I was quite surprised to find this occurring out of the blue starting about 8 months ago. I even cut a tiny bit of tape and attached it to the top of the knob and noticed that as it travels around the dial (while changing programs) it will malfunction at the exact same area and cause the programs to immediately jump randomly forward or backward +\-3.
I even posted a similar inquiry here about it last summer but at the time it received zero responses regarding anyone else out there experiencing the same …so I was quite surprised to find this nearly identical post here yesterday.
Thankfully, the +\- buttons and even the ‘soft knobs’ work just as they should for selecting programs. If Sequential has any theories or input about remedying this, I’d love to hear it. They were super helpful with an issue I had with my Pro3 recently. Cheers.