Recommendation for portable PA or amplifier ?

Recommendation for portable PA or amplifier ?
« on: January 10, 2023, 03:45:06 PM »
Hello,
I'm looking for a small /portable PA or amplifier to use with the Take 5.
I've found some good reviews for the Bose S1 Pro and the Alto TS 308.
Any feedback on one of these PA or the new Alto TS 408 ?
Any recommendation for other models with similar price and size ranges ?
Thanks.

Re: Recommendation for portable PA or amplifier ?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 03:52:15 PM »
Depends on what you want to do. Do you want to play with a live band with drums? Are you going to play out? Do you use multiple keyboards? Over the decades I have played with live bands and used a dedicated keyboard amp, as they have multiple inputs and are easy to control. But the ones I have used are large, heavy and loud to keep up with loud guitars. PA speakers can work, but usually don't have multiple inputs, and in some cases are more difficult to control (rear mounted volume, etc.) and in others may not be as "forgiving". These days, though, I play with a band that uses all in-ear monitoring, so I don't use an amp at all, just a very good DI box and monitor with in-ear headphones. Much less to carry around. If I use multiple keyboards, though, I have to bring a small mixer.

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 04:15:36 PM »
It's mainly for playing in my room.
I'm just fed up with playing with headphones.
I also have a NORD Electro 6 but I can connect the output of the Take 5 into the aux of the Electro when I want to play both keyboards.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 07:49:20 PM »
In your room you wouldn't need anything as big as what I have used, but you still may want an amp instead of a PA speaker. Then, you get a built in mixer that makes it easy to control the level of each keyboard.

yompe

• take five
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 03:36:13 AM »
I just found a second hand Roland Cube CM-30 for half price.
I've had it for few days now and I can definately recommend it... even for full price :)
:-j

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 11:09:48 AM »
I just found a second hand Roland Cube CM-30 for half price.
I've had it for few days now and I can definately recommend it... even for full price :)
Indeed, the CM-30 ticks all the boxes for my needs.
Thanks for the recommendation.