Prophet 08 Main 2.6 and Voice 1.6 Beta OS

Re: Prophet 08 Main 2.6 and Voice 1.6 Beta OS
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2018, 03:40:48 AM »
Turns out I did brick the Prophet.  I sent the Main and Voice boards back to DSI for service.  They're on their way back now.

Just a warning to anyone planning the upgrade;  Read the instructions carefully and do everything in order.... or else!
Rich
Lower West Side Studio

Have a good time all the time - Viv Savage

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2018, 06:58:23 AM »
I'd be interested to hear what are the exact benefits of that update.

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2018, 07:33:29 AM »
I'd be interested to hear what are the exact benefits of that update.

The easiest way to hear the filter effect is:

filter = 12
resonance = 96 ish
keytracking = 64
unison-mode = all voices (no detuning).
osc 1+2 fine = 0
slop = 0

So the tuning should be rock solid. Turn on unison mode. Play a middle C, and then the highest note on the keyboard a few times. The high note should have a chorus effect applied, but not middle C.

My other conjecture about 'less phasing' was just that ... I did not really A+B the two firmwares because I'm weary of trying my luck (sorry to hear about the above poster  :( ) . However over the last year or so I've noticed some very strange variance between the voices (I've been on the beta OS for some time). Sometimes voices 3+4 just don't want to play (hard reset always fixes that). Other times it is clear that the pulse-width is changing between voices (and there is no sequencer applied), sometimes the pitch, etc. I know some variance between voices is part of the analogue charm, and in some cases it is warranted, but I do wonder whether this update introduces some variance in tuning between the voices that creates some phasing / loss of bass even when the synth is tuned to be rock steady. My hearing that the patches sounded somehow 'fuller' could have been emotional after realizing I fixed my filter tuning issue, which was real.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2018, 08:09:45 AM »
I'm using a three-unit Prophet '08 system (one keyboard plus two modules) with OS Main 2.3 and Voice 1.5 in all three units.  Sometimes I use them all MIDI-ed together and controlled from the one keyboard, and other times I use one of the modules for bass, controlled by a pedalboard.  Since an operating system update beyond this exists, the one I'm using obviously has a few shortcomings.  But I'm content with it as is, and I'm not going to even consider an update.  I haven't noticed any serious problems that interfere with the way I use the instruments.  There's still a touch of popping when PWM is used in mono mode, but it really is minimal compared with the original.  Besides, I've come to accept it more as a characteristic than as a flaw.  The whole P'08 system works beautifully and flawlessly as far as I'm concerned, and I cringe at the thought of either changing it or breaking it up.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 08:48:30 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2018, 09:36:02 AM »
I'm using a three-unit Prophet '08 system (one keyboard plus two modules) with OS Main 2.3 and Voice 1.5 in all three units.  Sometimes I use them all MIDI-ed together and controlled from the one keyboard, and other times I use one of the modules for bass, controlled by a pedalboard.  Since an operating system update beyond this exists, the one I'm using obviously has a few shortcomings.  But I'm content with it as is, and I'm not going to even consider an update.  I haven't noticed any serious problems that interfere with the way I use the instruments.  There's still a touch of popping when PWM is used in mono mode, but it really is minimal compared with the original.  Besides, I've come to accept it more as a characteristic than as a flaw.  The whole P'08 system works beautifully and flawlessly as far as I'm concerned, and I cringe at the thought of either changing it or breaking it up.

Just so I'm sure I'm clear: the filter bug was with the beta OS... to fix it, I had to downgrade to the OS you are currently using and I will stay there. I think you should stay there too given the (beautiful) demos you have posted ... there would be no benefit to you, and it might hurt your sound if you upgrade.

I only wanted the new OS for the arp relatch mode, but obviously, keeping my patches in tune is more important.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2018, 09:57:15 AM »
Key word: beta.  I totally agree with you.  And thanks.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:58:51 AM by Sacred Synthesis »