Prophet 08 Main 2.6 and Voice 1.6 Beta OS

Prophet 08 Main 2.6 and Voice 1.6 Beta OS
« on: August 17, 2016, 05:44:36 PM »
You must install both the Main and Voice OS.

**If you are going to revert to a previous OS, you *must* downgrade the Voice OS first.**

ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR IMPORTANT WORK VIA SYSEX DUMP BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY OS UPDATES!!
Not that we're expecting bad things to happen, but it's better to be safe than sorry. These OS updates are labelled 'Beta' for a reason; there could be something small that was overlooked that didn't get caught in our testing. Just remember, you're never going to say to yourself "Man, I wish I hadn't backed that up..."

We do not recommend using the following MIDI interfaces for sysex transfers as we have had multiple users experience problems with them:
Native Instruments Maschine
Digidesign Mbox/Mbox2
Digidesign 001/002
CME U2MIDI

If you're on a Mac we recommend using SysEx Librarian to handle the update

To configure SysEx Librarian:
In 'Sysex Librarian->Preferences':
In tab ‘General’ set ‘Pause between played messages’ to 1 second
In tab ‘Transmit Speed’ set speed to 80%
If you have trouble installing, first try setting transmit speed to alternate settings. We have had reports of speeds from 25% to 100% working for some users where 80% failed

If you're on a PC we have had the best luck with SendSX and MIDI-OX. Both are free downloads and work across the Windows line of OS versions.

To configure SendSX:
Install the beta 1.30 version, not the 1.22, to give you more options for speed settings
Make sure 'Split long sys ex messages' is off in the Options menu
In 'Options->Settings' change the speed to ~80% (1.29KB/s works well for us here)
If you have trouble installing, first try setting transmit speed to alternate settings. We have had reports of speeds from 25% to 100% working for some users where 80% failed

To configure MIDI-OX:
Install version 7; version 7.0.0.365 works great here
In View->Sysex then Sysex->’Configure…’
Set the Low Level Output Buffers to Size: 1024 and Num: 1024
Set ‘Delay Between Buffers’ to 375 milliseconds
Check ‘Delay After F7’ and set delay to 1000 Milliseconds

If the OS load countdown freezes before completing you'll need to change the buffer settings and try again
Try doubling or quadrupling the Size setting to start, and halving/doubling the number of buffers
If you experience problems loading the OS and have tried the alternate speed/buffer settings, try the other program. In some instances Send SX works where MIDI OX did not, and vice versa
To check if the OS update was properly installed, power cycle the Prophet 08. Hold down 'Global' and press 'LFO 1' to display both the Main and Voice OS version numbers.

If your OS update failed:
Update your MIDI drivers for your MIDI interface to the latest or last known stable version
Try alternate speed settings: transfer speed settings as low as 25% and as high as 100% have worked for some users when 80% did not

Try an alternate MIDI interface. The M-Audio MIDI Sport Uno works well here and is relatively cheap
In Windows with MIDI OX on Windows XP: Try doubling or quadrupling the Size setting to start, and halving/doubling the number of buffers

Search google and/or forums for the company that produces your MIDI interface to see if other users are having similar problems with Sysex transfers and whether there is a solution specific to your interface
If you are on Windows XP, try another OS or machine. Although it's not ideal, we have had less problems with Mac OSX and Windows 7. Windows XP has known issues with sysex transfers

Changelog
Main OS 2.6.1
Fixed bug: Global bounds wrong preventing selection of dump program menu item

Main OS 2.6
Added arp relatch mode
LFO external sync improved and tweaked
Fixed bug: Env 3 Amount, Filter Env Amount, and Mod Amount do not get reset to 0 value when +Yes/-No are pressed simultaneously- they get set to -28
Fixed bug: MIDIParamLCD on/off doesn't work, automated parameters are still displayed when MIDIParamLCD is off
Fixed bug: Unison Last note priority behaves like low note priority
Fixed bug: Hung notes in certain Unison modes when multiple keys held
Fixed bug: LFO Key Sync LED not lighting correctly based on current LFO param
Fixed bug: Unison detune not reacting independently on each layer
Fixed bug: Param 1&2 currently send MIDI when performing a layer copy function
Fixed bug: When changing Osc Frequency, not able to reach C10 with pots when in relative mode
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 03:10:37 PM by Robot Heart »
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

Re: Prophet 08 Main OS 2.6 and Voice OS 1.6
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 09:47:21 AM »
Thank you.

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 11:48:08 PM »
Hello,
i' d like to know, why these files are not downloadable from the davesmith main site .
Are they a kind of beta? or are they 100% working?
Thank you in advance

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 10:41:14 AM »
They are beta OS files. We only post official releases on the DSI website.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

Re: Prophet 08 Main 2.6 and Voice 1.6 Beta OS
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 12:56:04 PM »
I had to recalibrate the pitch- and modwheel after this update.

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 07:24:19 PM »
Hi,

When I update my Tempest it prompts me to take the audio cables out before doing the firmware update but when updating my Prophet 08 it does not.

Is it good practice to take the audio cables out of the Prophet 08 before updating or this Tempest specific?

Thanks!
Tim

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 04:04:38 AM »
Hi,

When I update my Tempest it prompts me to take the audio cables out before doing the firmware update but when updating my Prophet 08 it does not.

Is it good practice to take the audio cables out of the Prophet 08 before updating or this Tempest specific?

Thanks!

Bumped to new thread!
Tim

F5D

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 01:12:22 PM »
Thank you for supporting this great synthesizer!

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 08:15:26 AM »
Found it! YAY, an arpeggiator that works the way it should. Now an update to the sequencer.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 08:17:54 AM by Charleshowes23 »

jak

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 06:02:56 AM »
Team,

For Midi OX Version 7.0.2.372 Size 24 Num 1024 worked well.
I didn't fid the Delay Entry Fields, so I played with several values.

Best
JAK

Herr Schmitz

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 08:41:07 AM »
Greetings,

can someone explain what a relatch mode is ? My dictionary does not know the word relatch.

Also, is this OS still being worked on ? When will there be a final version ?

Thanks

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 07:14:44 PM »
Relatch mode for the arpeggiator moves the arpeggio that is playing to the new keys you press. With relatch off, new key presses are added to the current arpeggio.

There will be no more development on this OS.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 12:25:28 AM »
Is there a way to turn Wave Reset on or off in this OS?
If so, could you tell me how?

Thanks in advance.

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 10:53:51 PM »
Ever since I have loaded this version 2.6 and Voice 1.6 the gated sequencer has been broken. I have just discovered that while running a 4 layer sequence Seq 1 = Osc all Freq ( a bass line in 8ths ) Seq 2= resonance, or osc mix or other params ( trying various as a test ) Seq 3= Noise Level Seq 4= Low Pass … When changing the values of each step in Seq 2, whether it be set to Osc pulse w or resonance or osc mix, the pitches of the oscillators get affected and combine with the modulation destination chosen on that step not in a good way. This is my second problem discovered I'll post the other shortly. Anybody else ?

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 11:42:21 PM »
problem 2 since Main 2.6 and Voice 1.6 update : I discovered that the factory preset "No Corn Yet" does not work correctly anymore. This patch is a good example how to make a double length 32 step sequence. The patch's layer A (melody) has two note sequences playing at the same time, Osc Mix is set to 0, Seq 1 Osc 1 is playing the first half of the pattern (2 bars) and seq 2 Osc 2 is playing the second half (2 bars) LFO 1 sync on is set to a Pulse Square shape with Osc Mix as destination Freq=32 st Amount 127. In theory every 32 steps  the pulse wave is supposed to modulate osc mix balance effectively alternating osc 1 full on then osc 2 full on creating a 32 step sequence. This used to work prior to 2.6 and Voice 1.6 but now the switch from osc 1 to osc 2 by the LFO is acting random with unpredictable results. I made a patch that used this method and that to used to work flawlessly… Take a look at No Corn Yet preset and see if yours does this as well.. I'm wondering if it's worth it to go back to the old OS so that this and the other problem I discovered clears up ?

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 09:53:39 AM »
Yes, I discovered the exact same thing back when this version came out. I chalked it down to being a beta, but with the cessation of further development we'll have to live with the choice of either a working sequencer or the new functions of this OS. Or just switch to the REV2…
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 10:28:04 AM »
Yes, I discovered the exact same thing back when this version came out.
Yes We both met on the other DSI forum that seems to have been hijacked these days !! It bothers me so much because I use the P08 extensively in my music and I love it so much, but it is hurting and not 100 % the way it should be out of the box !!! REV 2 I guess… But what about the people who only run the OS that is published on DSI support, aren't they happy with their P08's do they think they are missing anything that we gain in this beta ?

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 10:39:13 AM »
Yes We both met on the other DSI forum that seems to have been hijacked these days !! It bothers me so much because I use the P08 extensively in my music and I love it so much, but it is hurting and not 100 % the way it should be out of the box !!! REV 2 I guess… But what about the people who only run the OS that is published on DSI support, aren't they happy with their P08's do they think they are missing anything that we gain in this beta ?

So we meet again!

To your question I'd say we'll never know, since these are not the kind of people who'd frequent these forums. My guess is they're very happy, just as I have been since I got my Prophet in 2009 with the comparatively ancient OS on it. I would just like to state my satisfaction with the news of the REV 2, because we really did get a true successor that is better in every way, except for the display of saved parameters, of course. This means we won't have to live forever with a flawed or incomplete instrument as we do have the prospect of real progress.
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 11:05:15 AM »
Boy, am I glad I've got the 2.3/1.5 version in my Prophet '08 units.  I had intended to update, but I'm glad I didn't.  I do occasionally have a hanging note, but only once in a while and it's easy enough to stop.  Otherwise, I never have a problem with my instruments.  I'm sorry to see that you guys feel as if you've got half-baked instruments.  Not at all in my case.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 11:09:15 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 06:28:13 PM »
Sacred so your P08 does not have arpeggiator normal & re-latch modes like mine does with beta OS ??