Micromoog

Micromoog
« on: December 31, 2022, 05:51:17 PM »
Curious if there's any love for the Micromoog amongst forum peeps. I *almost* ended up with what would've been my third, but the stars didn't line up, alas. When the recent Minimoog reissue was announced, I got excited about it, but knew it's not something affordable for me. It did remind me, though, of my love for the infamous Micromoog. One osc, a sub, and a filter that runs rings around Saturn. People of the Internet speak so often of those synths which "sit in the mix," but part of the Micromoog's charm is that it always stands out. It can do simple and sweet tones, certainly, but it can cut through and do all manner of unabashedly "synthesizery" things.

I traded my first Pro One, my first synth, for a Micromoog. I then traded that Micromoog for a second Pro One, which I still have. That Pro One ended up in Berlin with me. I picked up a second Micromoog and it was such good friends with the Pro One. I couldn't fly the Moog home to California when I moved back (though I'm second-guessing that as I type). I sold it to the guy who runs Patch Point, who was also a Micromoog enthusiast. It went to a good home, at least!

Any other Micromoog fans within the ranks?

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Micromoog
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 07:44:06 PM »
I'm only a distant admirer, but I've always liked the Micromoog, as well as the Multimoog.  That sort of small and simple but unique instrument has always caught my ear and eye.  Sometimes you need only one oscillator, and with a large instrument you tend to add too much to a patch.  But a small instrument forces you to consider single-oscillator patches with just a bit of modulation, or sound effects that perhaps are not sophisticated but still have all the charm and force of quality synthesis.  Yes, i could listen to a Micromoog all day long. 

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 11:54:29 AM »
The Micromoog has some sorta overdrive-the-filter thing built in, according to Marc Doty. I don't think the Multi had this. I've barely spent time with the latter synth, apart from minutes at the music store as a teen, so I've no real experience to speak from. But the Micromoog just has such a glorious sound. When I see people posting that they simply can't consider the Prophet 5/10 because it's got a mono output and no onboard fx, I giggle a bit. The lowly Micromoog, with its one oscillator and short keyboard, is a miracle synth in my world, more than the sum of its "missing" parts and needing to be nothing that it isn't.

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 04:41:48 PM »
I used to have a  pro1 back in the day. I remember the micro moog . I almost bought one but decided to get a 73 key rhodes mark 2 stage piano that had the flat top. This must have 1981.  I think the micro moog had a ribbon if I remember correctly. I traded my rhodes for a polymoog keyboard. It was not the synth version . It was the divide down technology one. The synth version was better. I saw a few multimoogs for sale but they were really expensive. Don’t think they were
Worth the asking price although thier probably rare like the micro moog. Someone on the moog forum might have one.
Someone had the opus3 I think that’s what it was called.  I’ve seen micromoogs for sale. I wonder how many of them were produced.i remember an  add in in keyboard magazine I think back then it was called contemporary Keybard of  chick corea and herbie Hancock endorsing the micro moog as well as the Rhodes electric piano .  There were adds in downbeat as well.
Wish I had kept the pro1 it was a good synth.

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2023, 03:48:27 PM »

I think they sound fantastic, but I noticed they lack full ASDR?  Is it not a problem?

I've often wanted a Multimoog but they are pricey.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2023, 05:35:11 PM »

I think they sound fantastic, but I noticed they lack full ASDR?  Is it not a problem?

I think you'll get what I mean by this, but the Micromoog, like, say, the Prophet 5 or the Juno 6, is a complete protein. It's got a great sound and vibe, and that sound and vibe come from whatever it's built from - and from whatever it "lacks." To be a *little* more to the point, no, the envelopes (A/R w switchable on/off S, I think?) never troubled me. They were simply part of how that synth did its thang.

LPF83

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 06:20:51 PM »

I think you'll get what I mean by this, but the Micromoog, like, say, the Prophet 5 or the Juno 6, is a complete protein. It's got a great sound and vibe, and that sound and vibe come from whatever it's built from - and from whatever it "lacks." To be a *little* more to the point, no, the envelopes (A/R w switchable on/off S, I think?) never troubled me. They were simply part of how that synth did its thang.

You know, I absolutely get that.  It's a bit like when folks look at the P5/10's lack of features... it really all falls away when the tone is right.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2023, 06:56:19 PM »

You know, I absolutely get that.  It's a bit like when folks look at the P5/10's lack of features... it really all falls away when the tone is right.

We're in an age where we've got more synth options than anyone can grasp, multiplied by the collective mind of the Experts of the Internet, so something once thought of as a standard feature is now seen, by some, as a limitation, even as something certain to injure one's quality of life! It almost feels that dramatic sometimes, which is, of course, silly.

For everyone grumbling about "lack of stereo outputs" on (name a synth etc), I can say, yeah, but remember when a mono output was a shocking breakthrough? I can't recall which synth was the first to have one, but before that came out, we had to make do with no outputs at all.

Seriously (ha), something like the P5 or, for me anyway, the Micromoog, is perfect. The tone IS perfect, and the experience of playing those instruments is a delight every single time. (And this chat is making me so want another damn Micromoog!)

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2023, 03:53:23 PM »
Oops, I did it again!

I bit the bullet and spat out my wallet for another Micromoog. My third. This one is in rougher shape than others I've owned, and the fellow I bought it from is a "guitarist who got it from a guy" so, it's not like it's been so cared for, but still... it's a lovely Micromoog, innit! After ten minutes of buyer's remorse, I remembered why I love this odd little synth so much. I've ranted at length in previous posts, so I'll spare you, but for those that understand such curious obsessions, know that I am once again a whole and completely complete person!