OBX8 Filter! stereo or mono?

phaedra23

• every day is the best day
OBX8 Filter! stereo or mono?
« on: December 30, 2022, 05:03:59 AM »
How about the filter section of the OBX8? I know that you can spread the voices in the panorama, but is the filter true stereo? or dual mono? or mono per voice?

Re: OBX8 Filter! stereo or mono?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 04:07:59 PM »
As with most polysynths, it's mono per voice. And then voices can be panned left or right.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 03:26:24 AM »
The only poly I’m aware of containing stereo filter is UDO Super 6. Borrowed a such from a friend/studio in same house I live/have my studio during this holiday season. Of course I compare it to the OB-X8 and undoubtedly it’s a great synth. Stereo filter - great, but wouldn’t exchange the OB-X8 for it… or any other analog/VA poly.

The Moog Voyager had stereo filters but, in my ears, sounded better in mono (sold it as I rarely was used as I use the Model D instead).

I’m pretty sure stereo filter was one of many things discussed during the development of the OB-X8 and that there were other reasons than economy that made Tom Oberheim, Marcus Ryle and Dave Smith to keep mono filter in the architecture of the OB-X8.

But a more simple synth such Matrix1000/OB6 with stereo filter would be something awesome and in my radar of interest… but still not as great as the OB-X8.

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 04:09:59 AM »
...I’m pretty sure stereo filter was one of many things discussed during the development of the OB-X8 and that there were other reasons than economy that made Tom Oberheim, Marcus Ryle and Dave Smith to keep mono filter in the architecture of the OB-X8.

One of the design dilemmas that I'm sure they faced is the fact that the primary market for the OB-X8 consists of folks who want the original OB-X and OB-Xa sound, but without the price or maintenance hassle of a vintage instrument.  While the idea of improvements and modern features sounds good at first, choosing those improvements carefully is a slippery slope.  Too many new features that differ from the original, and next thing you know Youtube would be full of sound demos that don't sound faithful to the original products, and then the targeted market for the product has been undermined.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 09:15:02 AM »
...I’m pretty sure stereo filter was one of many things discussed during the development of the OB-X8 and that there were other reasons than economy that made Tom Oberheim, Marcus Ryle and Dave Smith to keep mono filter in the architecture of the OB-X8.

One of the design dilemmas that I'm sure they faced is the fact that the primary market for the OB-X8 consists of folks who want the original OB-X and OB-Xa sound, but without the price or maintenance hassle of a vintage instrument.  While the idea of improvements and modern features sounds good at first, choosing those improvements carefully is a slippery slope.  Too many new features that differ from the original, and next thing you know Youtube would be full of sound demos that don't sound faithful to the original products, and then the targeted market for the product has been undermined.

Yes, for sure. I’m happy they stayed faithful to the originals. The new violins are not more desirable by top musicians than two hundred years old Stradivarius and the same with new electric guitars vs early 60s models. I’ll guess same thing with this kind of synths (counting the OB-X8 to that early 80s synths)… at least to my preferences of sound.

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 08:21:16 PM »
I like Spread with depth of Quarter.  Nice with chords.