Two odd / possibly defective behaviors: Do all Trigon-6's do this?

I am a proud owner of Sequential products for 40 years. I purchased a new Trigon-6 last week, and I am noticing two problems. One is minor/curious, the other I think is more major. I am trying to determine if these are found in all Trigon-6's or just mine:

1.It sounds like pressing the "Sync OSC 2" button puts Oscillators 1 and 2 out of phase with each other. This is not noticeable unless both waves are triangles and OSC 2 is set EXACTLY the same as OSC 1 (same octave, not detuned) in which case OSC 2 drops in volume dramatically, and the heard waveform is very different than what I would expect suggesting phase cancellation. Detuning OSC 2 causes the sound to gradually rise in volume, and picking a different waveform or octave doesn't cause the problem. This is wierd, especially since only the triangle seems to be affected.

2. If the VCA is driven directly from the LFO, Loud clicks/clunks and Thumps are heard from the VCA, even if no signal is going through. This happens with all 6 voices. It's most noticeable if using a Square or Random waveform, and starts at about 40% of LFO "Amount" and gets worse as you go to 100%. This just sounds like the slew rate of the VCA is so fast that it's literally getting slammed up and down by the LFO. just a LITTLE slew would take care of this. If you are using the envelope, you can adjust Attack and any problem like this is easily gotten rid of - but there is no way to do this whenthe LFO is driving the VCA directly. If it take the LFO rate up, I even get a little VCO coming from the VCA. Is this fatal? no, it just eliminates a modulation routing that would have been useful to have.

If I am the only person experiencing these problems, I will exchange my unit for another and Sequential can see what's wrong with mine. If these are by "design", I would say that's too bad, especially Item 2. Since it's new, "Operator Error" is always possible so I am curious as to what others think.

Thanks,

Brian

Re: Two odd / possibly defective behaviors: Do all Trigon-6's do this?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2022, 06:15:32 PM »
I have discovered that my SN (423) is actually very early and I am way behind on OS updates. That might be the problem. Going to get OS 1.2 and see what that does.

I am a proud owner of Sequential products for 40 years. I purchased a new Trigon-6 last week, and I am noticing two problems. One is minor/curious, the other I think is more major. I am trying to determine if these are found in all Trigon-6's or just mine:

1.It sounds like pressing the "Sync OSC 2" button puts Oscillators 1 and 2 out of phase with each other. This is not noticeable unless both waves are triangles and OSC 2 is set EXACTLY the same as OSC 1 (same octave, not detuned) in which case OSC 2 drops in volume dramatically, and the heard waveform is very different than what I would expect suggesting phase cancellation. Detuning OSC 2 causes the sound to gradually rise in volume, and picking a different waveform or octave doesn't cause the problem. This is wierd, especially since only the triangle seems to be affected.

2. If the VCA is driven directly from the LFO, Loud clicks/clunks and Thumps are heard from the VCA, even if no signal is going through. This happens with all 6 voices. It's most noticeable if using a Square or Random waveform, and starts at about 40% of LFO "Amount" and gets worse as you go to 100%. This just sounds like the slew rate of the VCA is so fast that it's literally getting slammed up and down by the LFO. just a LITTLE slew would take care of this. If you are using the envelope, you can adjust Attack and any problem like this is easily gotten rid of - but there is no way to do this whenthe LFO is driving the VCA directly. If it take the LFO rate up, I even get a little VCO coming from the VCA. Is this fatal? no, it just eliminates a modulation routing that would have been useful to have.

If I am the only person experiencing these problems, I will exchange my unit for another and Sequential can see what's wrong with mine. If these are by "design", I would say that's too bad, especially Item 2. Since it's new, "Operator Error" is always possible so I am curious as to what others think.

Thanks,

Brian

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 07:08:06 PM »
All,

First, there is no OS 1.2, at least not yet. That is a Trigon-6 Manual "Misprint" - my interpretation is that OS 1.2 is not finished/officially announced.

Second, the clicks I am experiencing are "expected behavior" according to Sequential.  However, I tried the same routing on an OB-6 and the behavior is the same, so it's across the entire Sequential range. While it may be expected, it's not very musically useful, at least to me. I will point out that this happens ONLY if you route the LFO directly to the AMP. If you use Aftertouch or the mod wheel to control the depth, you do not hear this issue.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 04:58:22 PM »
Everything is apparently "expected behavior" when you ask Sequential support. lol. That's what I was told several times when a voice on my then-brand new OB 6 was clearly out of calibration despite my running all the calibration steps. Ended up getting them to send me a replacement voice card which fixed the issue, but had I not pushed the issue, I'd have been expected to just deal with it - on a $3000 synth.
Not hating on the Sequential guys. Love the gear and they've been pleasant to deal with... just seems like sometimes they don't take defect reports as seriously as maybe they could.