Mopho X4 vs Take 5?

Mopho X4 vs Take 5?
« on: December 18, 2022, 11:19:11 PM »
Has anyone compared the older DSI Mopho X4 versus the current Sequential Take 5? It would be interesting to hear results! ;D

Re: Mopho X4 vs Take 5?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 12:24:23 PM »
I had a Tetra (more or less a Mopho x4) for a while but thought it was quite boring and sterile sounding. Replaced it with a Rev2 later on and didn't regret it.
Now I added a Take 5 and that is a completely differnet kind of beast. Organic sounding VCO's vs DCO's and the built in effects are much better then on previous DSI/Sequential synthesizers.

I would say they are not comparable at all and quite different sounding.
I really recommend Take 5. That is an awesome and affordable synthesizer.
Unfortunately somewhat underrated. Quite strange why to be honest.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 12:27:54 PM by synthboy »

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 10:06:20 PM »
For sure. I have the Take 5 and love it. I also used to have a Mopho module back in the day, and for what it was, it did a great job. But I agree, Take 5 is a different beast. Mopho had no effects that I recall.

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 11:56:22 AM »
Yes you are of course right, Mopho/Tetra does not have effects built in.
Just wanted to point out that the built-in and programmable effects in Take 5 are nice sounding (at least much better than the ones in for example Rev2). They simply gives Take 5 even more value and sound shaping possibilities.

A more fair comparsion is of course Prophet 6. I have AS-1 (one P6 voice) and hear some similarities between Take 5 and AS-1.
But AS-1 is such a compact and nice synthesizer so I will keep it.

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2022, 01:38:33 AM »
And yes, VCO's sound much different than DCO's. It gives VCO's give Take 5 that warm, liquid sound that is so beloved in the analog world.

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2023, 04:35:13 AM »
I actually ended up selling a Take 5 because it wasn't the more refined X4 that I hoped it would be. Having owned several Mophos along with a Tetra over the years but sold them after getting frustrated trying to program them, there was something about their sharp, gritty and almost lo-fi character that really appealed to me.

The Take 5 is a well specified and capable machine and sounded really good but to me just didn't have the clarity, presence and grit of the X4. It was almost too smooth and sounded like it had all the rough edges of the sound filtered out.

It comes down to what sound character you want and I ended up with an X4 which I love so much more than the Take 5. It just sounds more alive and in some ways vintage. Almost Korg-like, whereas the Take 5 is Rolandy.

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2023, 08:47:55 PM »
That is a really interesting view on these synths. I had the Mopho module, but always kind of yearned for the liquid analog sound of VCOs. Some prefer the sound of the DCOs. They are both really good sounding. Like you said, a lot has to do with what sound you are after.