OB-Xa/ Group 1a / Preset 6 / Flutes

OB-Xa/ Group 1a / Preset 6 / Flutes
« on: December 11, 2022, 10:07:12 AM »
GentleObies,

I have some bizarre behavior going on with the factory patch (OB-Xa/ Group 1a / Preset 6 / Flutes) on my new OB-X8.  I can play 4 notes, serially, on the keyboard, and then the next 4 I play will be silent.  (Think a C Major scale with C-D-E-F sounding a note, followed by G-A-B-C sounding nothing.)  Keep going: 4 play, next 4 do not. Staccato, legato, 5 seconds between notes, random keys pressed all over the board, all the same 4 on, 4 silent. 

The worst part is that is that the problem doesn't occur all the time, at least with the debugging I've tried so far.  This is the only patch that exhibits this behavior. This is just with headphones and power to the unit.  No other connections, USB or otherwise.

If you kind folks have some more debugging for me to try, I'm totally willing.  Odds are very good that this is operator error, or at least unfamiliarity with this synth.  Current firmware is 1.0.0.3 (which is odd, because the website says the current firmware is 1.0.0.2.)

Thanks in advance.

-db-

Re: OB-Xa/ Group 1a / Preset 6 / Flutes
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 11:38:56 AM »
Wonder if the ribbon cable on the daughter voice board is loose and so the second set of four voices aren’t triggering. Worth flipping the lid up and reseating it.

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 02:47:41 PM »
Wonder if the ribbon cable on the daughter voice board is loose and so the second set of four voices aren’t triggering. Worth flipping the lid up and reseating it.

I was looking for an excuse to open 'er up.   :)

Reseated the ribbons, and even pulled the daughter board and reseated that, and still the same.  : (

Thanks for the suggestion.

-db-

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 05:39:17 PM »
Have you accidentally disabled some voices? That is possible in the Globals menu and I’m not sure if the changes are preserved after power-down. Unlikely though as I think disabling voices would mean they just wouldn’t be addressed at all rather than being silent.

Another possibility is that somehow a double patch has been activated and the second layer is silent.

Or maybe that particular patch has 4-left, 4-right stereo panning applied but you’ve only plugged in a single cable to the outputs so are only hearing the voices from one side.

Again, just trying to think of what it might be.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 12:34:28 AM »
Might been som hidden key strike and save as it only appears at phat patch. Try reset all programs (save the patches you’ve done). Or track it further down by saving that patch to another patch location, copy another patch to that location and see what happens.