Duplicate Pitch / Fine Freq settings ?

Duplicate Pitch / Fine Freq settings ?
« on: December 09, 2022, 03:51:14 AM »
Hello everyone,
I'm a happy new owner of a Take 5 and I'm still learning its features.

I've noticed some surprising and somewhat confusing feature at least for a newcomer in the Sequential world like me.

Unlike other program settings that are not accessible from the front panel, the "Osc 1 Fine Freq" and "Osc 2 Fine Freq" settings correspond respectively to the Osc 1 Pitch and Osc 2 Pitch pot.

What's the purpose / benefit of having these settings within the Program settings ?
I find that annoying as this makes more Select button turning to access other settings.

Also, why using different terms for the same thing (Pitch vs Fine Freq) ?

chysn

Re: Duplicate Pitch / Fine Freq settings ?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 09:51:34 AM »
why using different terms for the same thing (Pitch vs Fine Freq) ?

The difference is range, the utility of which becomes apparent under modulation. If you want a slight vibrato, try fine freq. If you want a more dramatic effect, use pitch.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 10:23:46 AM »
The difference is range, the utility of which becomes apparent under modulation. If you want a slight vibrato, try fine freq. If you want a more dramatic effect, use pitch.

But the Pitch pot and the Fine Freq setting have the same range : -7 semitones +7 semitones (from the User Manual, and from what I can hear).
And if you display the Fine Freq setting within the Program parameters, and you turn the Pitch pot, the Fine Freq value can change from -700 to 700, exactly the same as if you turn the value knob.

chysn

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 10:57:26 AM »

But the Pitch pot and the Fine Freq setting have the same range : -7 semitones +7 semitones (from the User Manual, and from what I can hear).
And if you display the Fine Freq setting within the Program parameters, and you turn the Pitch pot, the Fine Freq value can change from -700 to 700, exactly the same as if you turn the value knob.

Yeah, that is weird. Seems like they're just playing fast and loose with the terminology, then?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

kpatz

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 02:10:15 PM »
The pitch knobs give you instant and quick access to the oscillator pitch, while the program menu lets you dial things in precisely (like 500 for a fifth etc.).  You could think of the knob as coarse and the program menu as fine, even though both have the same range, you can traverse that range at different rates with each.

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 04:09:45 PM »
The pitch knobs give you instant and quick access to the oscillator pitch, while the program menu lets you dial things in precisely (like 500 for a fifth etc.).
OK, I see, thanks. I guess 500 is for a fourth (5 semitones) ;)
It would have been more consistent and less confusing if the program setting was named "Fine Pitch".