Behringer Pro-800

Re: Behringer Pro-800
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2022, 12:53:50 PM »
This isn't exactly on-topic re: the Pro-800, but it was this thread that inspired me to finally sell my VC340. I actually loved that thing - the vocoder was great and got way more use than I ever expected. It found its way onto every record I've made since I bought the thing. And the strings were fab. Raw and "real." My Prologue can do excellent BBD-style strings and also lush, PolySix-ish strings, but the strings on the VC340 always hit me in the immediate zone. When they were right, they were right. That said, I've always felt a bit creeped-out with myself for supporting that company. Seeing the new videos promoting the 800 without any mention of Dave or Sequential was the final ick for me. I'm happy, though, that the guy buying the VC340 from me is so keen on it. It's a great instrument, recreated by an un-great company. My "customer" gets a cool instrument, but he's not directly supporting B.

There's a little more to my story, but I'll save that for later. My noble altruism is still as self-serving as ever, don't worry!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2022, 05:49:24 PM »
That said, I've always felt a bit creeped-out with myself for supporting that company. Seeing the new videos promoting the 800 without any mention of Dave or Sequential was the final ick for me.

Good for you.  I've had to back myself down from a purchase or two as well.  It hurts, but it's right to stand on principle.

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2022, 05:54:35 PM »
That said, I've always felt a bit creeped-out with myself for supporting that company. Seeing the new videos promoting the 800 without any mention of Dave or Sequential was the final ick for me.

Good for you.  I've had to back myself down from a purchase or two as well.  It hurts, but it's right to stand on principle.

The funny thing is that I offered a B phase shifter and microphone along with the VC340, but the fellow who bought from me said he didn't need those items, so I still have B gear to get rid of! And it's not to say I'm a super-principled guy, but the B stuff has really made me uncomfortable a few times over by now. I did have a great time with a borrowed Neutron, but if I was to spend a couple hundred dollars on some kinda small "let's see what this does" bit of gear, there are many choices out there now.

maxter

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2022, 06:20:18 AM »
I'll continue drifting OT here...

For some reason, that particular video and the "outrage" it's caused by omitting Dave Smith altogether, actually changed my perspective somewhat... in that I think I've come to "appreciate" that B keeps being so douche-y, levelling-up even... please, hear me out... It just cements this whole thing more and more, to where we can see loads of potential customers stepping away from that company more or less, or entirely. So I say "Keep it up, B, keep shooting yourself in both feet!" It makes it so much easier, maybe even compelling, for some of us. Many who have contemplated buying a product, don't anymore...
The Way the Truth and the Life

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2022, 11:26:16 AM »
That's the truth, Maxter.  I was somewhat waffling on the Behringer subject, salivating over the idea of a B Odyssey controlling a B 2600.  But no more.  Seeing the above video, combined with an extra-sensitivity to the Dave Smith issue with his recent death, made me react to the rude omission of his name.  Now I feel anew that Behringer can take his ARP imitations and stuff 'em.  It would greatly dishonor my music room to have that tawdry yellow triangle sitting next to my magnificent DSI synthesizers.  Talk about something being "out of its league!"
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 12:04:04 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

maxter

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2023, 04:37:52 AM »
Not that impressive to my ears, by comparison… I’m sure having 2x in stereo would make it sing, but then we hit a price range where there are SO many alternatives these days… I’d rather go with a Hydrasynth explorer for less $, a Peak for more $, or whatever…

The Way the Truth and the Life

LPF83

Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC