Tips and tricks programming OB

Re: Tips and tricks programming OB
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2019, 08:49:41 AM »
It's factory patch 007.

jconway3

• Rev 2, Pro 2 & OB6
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2019, 01:32:22 PM »
Has anybody got any tips for creating a delayed vibrato on the OB-6. I’m struggling to do this without a dedicated control. The Rev 2 has the aux envelope which can replicate this behaviour.
Thanks guys
J
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 02:07:57 PM by jconway3 »

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2019, 10:52:30 PM »
Has anybody got any tips for creating a delayed vibrato on the OB-6

Best way I know of is to use the X-MOD with the filter envelope...
Starting filter envelope settings:
Attack - MAX
Delay - MIN (0)
Sustain - 2:00 (this is a good one to play with)
Release - subtle...adjust to taste
Amount - 12:00...i.e. no filter, you can add this but you're stuck with the slow build

X-MOD settings
VCO2 amount - 12:00
Filter Envelope amount - 12:30 to 1:00 (very little goes a long way)

VCO1 and VCO2 set to the same waveform (either saw or square...square is my fave for this) and same frequency (you can play with this but it's a good start)
Use the DETUNE to carefully tune VCO2 to have No Beating
Select VCO1 as the destination for the envelope modulation (you can add other effects later if you want)

If you set a slow attack and decay for the amplitude envelope it's a really good starting point for a dramatic pad; start off with very tight, 'crunchy chords (half steps are great...like a Cmin chord with no root fingered (D-Eb-G) (9-m3-5)

Other pad tricks for this one
You can add Filter Freq to the X-Mod ENV selection pool, but this can be too subtle
One that I like is to add the Filter Mode to the selection pool, start with the filter an LP and then slow increase towards NOTCH until you hear a touch of 'fizz' then back off to warm sizzle

If you run the X-MOD ENV knob negative (11:00 - 12:00) you can use the NORM-->BP and have the ENV drive from BP to NOTCH along with the vibrato...a haunting feel

...hope this gets you started, however you have to make the mind-set shift of not having a true <Filter Envelope> any longer...it gets in the way of the warm swell

Ask questions if something seems wrong...I'm not sitting at the OB-6 at the moment so it is just from memory

I wish that my OB-6 had a patchbay like my MiniBrute 2S...this kind of stuff is falling off a log for that beast, but at best it is 2-voice with one oscillator each and a shared filter
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 10:55:34 PM by shmuelyosef »
DSI OB-6, Nord Electro 3HP & 6HP, Roland SoundCanvas SC55mkii, Beatstep Pro, KeyStep, Roland SE-02, MPD18 (+mpcstuff), Roland TD-4 V-drums, Fender-Rhodes Stage MK1, Reaper, plus dozens of acoustic instruments

jconway3

• Rev 2, Pro 2 & OB6
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2019, 10:18:31 PM »
That’s all very useful thank you, I really appreciate your tips on this. I’ll definitely give these a try next time I’m playing the OB6

MPM

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2019, 10:27:19 PM »
eg. i love 007 boards of canada style patch. want to try something similar.

Not familiar with this patch...anywhere I can hear an example?

Patch 007. I think is actually called “Broken EP”.
One of my faves too.
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2019, 07:26:10 AM »
eg. i love 007 boards of canada style patch. want to try something similar.

Not familiar with this patch...anywhere I can hear an example?

I think they mean this patch, used as the main background and initial melody.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdnh0C3UpRQ
DSI / Tom Oberheim - OB6 - live looping demonstration
Daniel Davis
This is 14 minutes of pure relaxation with R2D2 appearing in a cameo role perhaps. I listened to this many times and it was th "OB-6" sound that tempted me at the time as well as Dave Smith's NAMM demo sweeping the filter with the Sonic State guy Nick Batt.
Lots of repeated echoes on it but what a gorgeous sound.
This was one of the earliest OB-6 music demos - check the date 21 Jan 2016. OB6 only just barely released.
My Dad would have been 101 on that day if I had been alive. How time flies.
Prophet-6 nut. Formerly, just a Prophet-5 nut.

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2019, 02:02:50 PM »
Here's a little trick I learned the other day, a way to get harder, punchier saw waves. You configure both VCO1 and VCO2 with sawtooth waveforms and set the square pulsewidth to 0 so you shut its volume off. Then in the waveform mixer of each VCO you will notice when sweeping from saw to square that the maximum saw volume is achieved exactly at halfway between the waveshapes, not at full saw. This is to compensate volumes in the waveform mixer when using both. As you've shut down your square's PW you will get only your saws, albeit with a louder, harder tone.

this is pure gold. Great thread!

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2020, 05:22:41 AM »
I've been really into stereo filters lately. I've been exploring how to achieve this on the OB-6 with the PAN SPREAD and getting different movement for each filter using X-MOD. Here's the basic idea:

- Turn off VCO 2 for use as LFO. Set it to LFO. Keep KEYBOARD on.
- Now, if you play a chord, the pitch of each VCO 2 note is going at a different speed from the key tracking.
- If you use the X-MOD for F.FREQ, they will move at different speeds.
- Combine this with PAN SPREAD and you have this swirly, stereo filtery, goodness.

However, I really want to slow down VCO 2 even more so the swirls evolve more slowly over time. If I turn off KEYBOARD tracking, all the LFOs remain the same speed. I've used VCO 2 DETUNE set to fully negative to push it down a bit further. Does anyone know of a way to push VCO 2s base speed as LFO even lower without changing the pitch of VCO 1?

Thanks and great thread!

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2020, 06:40:16 AM »
Could you not pitch oscillator 1 up a few octaves using its coarse tuning control and pitch oscillator 2 down as low as it’ll go with its coarse tuning control then pitch the master keyboard octaves control as low as possible. That should put oscillator 1 in to a playable register while making osc 2 as low as possible. I don’t have an OB-6 to try this but let me know if this works.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 06:42:45 AM by Quatschmacher »

Hymy

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2020, 09:12:38 AM »
I've been really into stereo filters lately. I've been exploring how to achieve this on the OB-6 with the PAN SPREAD and getting different movement for each filter using X-MOD. Here's the basic idea:

- Turn off VCO 2 for use as LFO. Set it to LFO. Keep KEYBOARD on.
- Now, if you play a chord, the pitch of each VCO 2 note is going at a different speed from the key tracking.
- If you use the X-MOD for F.FREQ, they will move at different speeds.
- Combine this with PAN SPREAD and you have this swirly, stereo filtery, goodness.

However, I really want to slow down VCO 2 even more so the swirls evolve more slowly over time. If I turn off KEYBOARD tracking, all the LFOs remain the same speed. I've used VCO 2 DETUNE set to fully negative to push it down a bit further. Does anyone know of a way to push VCO 2s base speed as LFO even lower without changing the pitch of VCO 1?

Thanks and great thread!

Thanks for the tip!
You can use aftertouch set to maximum negative modulation on VCO2, which slows down the the VCO2 frequency. This kind of patch just screams to be used with polyphonic/note aftertouch.

Channelizer if you are reading this, just tested this with LFE and SNAT set to first note. Magic!