Assigning Pitch Wheel control to single VCO

Assigning Pitch Wheel control to single VCO
« on: December 02, 2022, 02:19:50 PM »
Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to assign the Pitch Wheel so that it affects only a single VCO instead of both? I am assuming it is not natively possible on OB-6 like with the OB-Xa, which has an (OSC-2 Only) button to allow the Pitch Bend bars to affect only Oscillator-2. However, would it be possible to achieve this functionality through MIDI or NRPN control messages and external controller?       

Thanks!

Re: Assigning Pitch Wheel control to single VCO
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 02:57:55 PM »
Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to assign the Pitch Wheel so that it affects only a single VCO instead of both? I am assuming it is not natively possible on OB-6 like with the OB-Xa, which has an (OSC-2 Only) button to allow the Pitch Bend bars to affect only Oscillator-2. However, would it be possible to achieve this functionality through MIDI or NRPN control messages and external controller?       

Thanks!
Could probably be done with the Yoricktech Low Frequency Expander or another unit which allows incoming MIDI messages to be translated into other MIDI messages. Then you could turn local control off, pipe the MIDI signals out of the synth, into the external unit and back into the synth.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 12:26:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply Quatschmacher,

So are you thinking this is not an OB-6 hardware limitation? That would be awesome, as there are software applications such as (Bome Midi Translator Pro and Midihub Editor) to assist with routing midi and the creation of custom control messages. Then it is just a matter of sorting out which MIDI or NRPN control messages to manipulate and route.           

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 04:23:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply Quatschmacher,

So are you thinking this is not an OB-6 hardware limitation? That would be awesome, as there are software applications such as (Bome Midi Translator Pro and Midihub Editor) to assist with routing midi and the creation of custom control messages. Then it is just a matter of sorting out which MIDI or NRPN control messages to manipulate and route.         

Pitch wheel may well be hard routed to both oscillators in the synth but in the method I’m proposing, you’d be turning local control off. As long as the pitch wheel position data are still being sent out of the MIDI port, it should be possible to translate these to whatever CC controls the single VCO you wish to manipulate.

I could try it on the P10 using www.midium.net as I’ve got the P10 MIDI commands stored as a template.

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2022, 12:26:16 PM »
I have my doubts about this since the command for pitch wheel is separate from the CCs for osc 1 & 2 pitch. Oscillators can be affected by their own CC numbers but Pitch bend is always going to be applied to both oscs.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2022, 08:59:13 AM »
addendum to previous post: It might be possible to modify the midi information to change pitchwheel data into controller # 67 or 72 in Bome midi translator but this would need to be further modified to restrict the pitch wheel's effect to a few semitones otherwise you will be getting 5 octaves. I don't know what is possible with Bome's box of tricks. I'll shut up now before I give any more useless advice.