New Sequential synth

jg666

Re: New Sequential synth
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2022, 02:25:08 AM »
Yes I was wondering if the Tri was referring to the 3 oscillators and the Trigon name a mixture of Triangle and Hexagon ?

Also agree, that Paul's patches sound great as usual :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

AlanC

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2022, 03:20:39 AM »
Yes I was wondering if the Tri was referring to the 3 oscillators and the Trigon name a mixture of Triangle and Hexagon ?

Ha! Of course. :D Three oscillators (triangle) and six voices (hexagon). Hence, Trigon.

LPF83

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2022, 04:55:33 AM »
$3500 is actually not as much as I feared it would cost.

I'm guessing the desktop version will come in around $2,300, which will put it in the possible future buy category for me.  My recent acquisition of an Akai MPC Live2, which was originally an "on a whim" buy to have a compact and cable-free DAW setup, has actually been a permanent game changer (I may post a bit more about this is another topic), but using it has got me creating music in other rooms of the house (besides the studio).  The portability aspect has had a creative benefit I was oblivious to before now, but it makes me want all future purchases as desktop units so that I can bring one at a time with me in order to use it in conjunction with the MPC2.

The ideal desktop, from a versatility and sampling standpoint, would probably be a Rev2 desktop, but since I already have the keyboard version, the idea of something new for my portable setup is appealing, and owning the last Dave Smith invention makes it even more so, so maybe the Trigon6 can fit that bill.  Short-term I'm holding out for a OBX8 desktop though -- no T6 will be purchased by me until the OBX8 desktop is released.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2022, 05:10:30 AM »
I was trying to work out from the limited videos I've seen if the pot values are shown anywhere on any of the displays and I couldn't see anything resembling pot values when one was turned. But it's very difficult to tell because there's only one or two instances where any pot is turned.

It works in the same manner as on the Prophet-6 or OB-6: No parameter values in the main display, but a dot will indicate that you've reached a saved parameter value (this includes button settings, e.g. the choice of oscillator waveforms).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 05:19:50 AM by Paul Dither »

jg666

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2022, 05:44:49 AM »
I was trying to work out from the limited videos I've seen if the pot values are shown anywhere on any of the displays and I couldn't see anything resembling pot values when one was turned. But it's very difficult to tell because there's only one or two instances where any pot is turned.

It works in the same manner as on the Prophet-6 or OB-6: No parameter values in the main display, but a dot will indicate that you've reached a saved parameter value (this includes button settings, e.g. the choice of oscillator waveforms).

OK thanks for the information :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2022, 09:36:30 AM »
I must say, after my initial disappointment, I actually really enjoy this release. Not sure if it's something I'd get but the fact Sequential wanted to do a new analog poly synth with a new filter and new oscillator structure and have it be something completely fresh....my hats off to them. It sounds fantastic and certainly has it's own unique character.

chysn

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2022, 12:44:28 PM »
I like it. I'm happy that the Sequential/SEM/Ladder filter trilogy is complete in poly form. Trigon-6 will be taken seriously as a ladder filter synth with three oscillators.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 12:46:30 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2022, 03:35:48 AM »

Presumably you’ve heard of Trigonometry at some point in your school life. 🙂

jg666

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2022, 03:55:56 AM »

Presumably you’ve heard of Trigonometry at some point in your school life. 🙂

Indeed I have but that was over 40 years ago.

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2022, 08:17:48 AM »

Ha! Of course. :D Three oscillators (triangle) and six voices (hexagon). Hence, Trigon.

Hmmn, not so sure.  If Dave named his synths based on oscillator counts then a P12 would have been named Quadgon for example.    I think as Sacred synthesis suggested, a lineage of a particular style seems more likely.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2022, 06:35:10 PM »
"New Sequential Synth"
The Prophet 10...

(This is a great demo of the Prophet 5/10 tone [rev4])
..Almost makes me want to sell my Pro3...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GhN5C_25fU
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 06:47:22 PM by Elric »
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2022, 07:01:59 PM »
All of a sudden, this is my new wish for the next Sequential synth. (Which was, a "multi-Pro3-synth")

A Prophet 5/10, with a deep mod matrix, and a third [digital, wavetable] oscillator!
  {Oh!  And 4 envelopes!  ...  and 3 LFOs}
(Yea, that's kinda similar to the multi-Pro3 thing... but)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 07:44:21 PM by Elric »
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2022, 10:01:36 AM »
Looks like the typical response for the Trigon 6 is the same as it was for the P6 and OB6. That it's "harsh" and I've had to correct people that it's called gain staging. Dave always ran his newer Sequential synths hot as he loved distortion. It's up to the programmer to back the oscillators off in the mixer section so it doesn't drive the filter hard and also not crank the cutoff wide open as it introduces higher harmonic content.  Vintage synths didn't have the higher harmonics or much gain staging. It's not that they sound better or worse. Think of it like a high gain guitar amp that you have to back off rather than a clean amp that you have to drive harder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgH-k3lBdVE&t=1s
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 10:07:02 AM by LoboLives »

LPF83

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2022, 01:24:03 PM »
Looks like the typical response for the Trigon 6 is the same as it was for the P6 and OB6. That it's "harsh" and I've had to correct people that it's called gain staging. Dave always ran his newer Sequential synths hot as he loved distortion. It's up to the programmer to back the oscillators off in the mixer section so it doesn't drive the filter hard and also not crank the cutoff wide open as it introduces higher harmonic content.  Vintage synths didn't have the higher harmonics or much gain staging. It's not that they sound better or worse. Think of it like a high gain guitar amp that you have to back off rather than a clean amp that you have to drive harder.

Part of it too may be that many people think more oscillators translates to a more powerful sound, and yeah its true with regard to gain and some synths do sound weak or unsatisfying on a single oscillator... especially softsynths... but at the same time it can get harsh or muddy fast if the second isn't used sparingly, and that will be more true of a third.  Not such an issue on a mono synth, thus the popularity of three osc monos, but with polyphonic synths it becomes harder to mix.

Personally I think the value of multiple oscillators is to sculpt the timbre, not beef up the drive.  But I tend to prefer a cleaner sound to a distorted one.

So far I haven't heard demos showing the T6 sounds as a monosynth..  that would be an odd reason alone to buy it, but I would love to hear the one-voice unison performance, as it wouldn't surprise me at all if it sounds better than the Model D.  Both the Prophet6 and OB6 make great (and different sounding) monos in addition to being great polys.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 01:26:04 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2022, 02:19:57 PM »

Part of it too may be that many people think more oscillators translates to a more powerful sound, and yeah its true with regard to gain and some synths do sound weak or unsatisfying on a single oscillator... especially softsynths... but at the same time it can get harsh or muddy fast if the second isn't used sparingly, and that will be more true of a third.  Not such an issue on a mono synth, thus the popularity of three osc monos, but with polyphonic synths it becomes harder to mix.

Personally I think the value of multiple oscillators is to sculpt the timbre, not beef up the drive.  But I tend to prefer a cleaner sound to a distorted one.

So far I haven't heard demos showing the T6 sounds as a monosynth..  that would be an odd reason alone to buy it, but I would love to hear the one-voice unison performance, as it wouldn't surprise me at all if it sounds better than the Model D.  Both the Prophet6 and OB6 make great (and different sounding) monos in addition to being great polys.

There's a number of monophonic patches demoed in the video above.

LPF83

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2022, 02:26:26 PM »

Yeah but I got the impression he is more or less playing through presets rather than focusing on what it is capable of as a mono.  A mono analog for me is primarily just about bass and lead, and I didn't really hear a showcase of either there.

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2022, 09:20:42 AM »

Yeah but I got the impression he is more or less playing through presets rather than focusing on what it is capable of as a mono.  A mono analog for me is primarily just about bass and lead, and I didn't really hear a showcase of either there.

Listen again, he clearly plays monophonic bass patches. I'm not sure what you are expecting.

LPF83

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2022, 10:26:08 AM »
Listen again, he clearly plays monophonic bass patches. I'm not sure what you are expecting.

What was stated pretty clearly in my earlier message..  " and I didn't really hear a showcase of either there"...

Operative word being *showcase*.  I didn't say he didn't play mono patches, I said he didn't showcase them, which (at least as I meant it) means to show how complete the instrument is as a mono, exploring lots of mono sounds, demonstrating lots of variations, etc.  I don't blame him for not doing this, because it is a polysynth after all, but hopefully someone will eventually.  Again I think he was mostly going through presets, which are likely predominantly poly sounds.  It's a little hard to know exactly what someone's goal or intent was when you don't understand their language.

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2022, 01:52:49 PM »

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2022, 07:29:31 AM »
There’s a dedicated Trigon thread now. Might be useful to get this thread merged there.