New Sequential synth

New Sequential synth
« on: November 17, 2022, 11:25:17 AM »
Hot off the press.  the new Trigon 6.  6 voice, 3 oscillator synth WITH LADDER FILTER!!

As much as I am looking for more voices, such as in the Rev2, this sounds really good and, from the few shots I could see in the video, the workflow seems to suit my style.

I am looking forward to seeing more about this instrument.  This also seems to be the last synth Dave Smith worked on before his passing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNBzSMB6sS8

Re: New Sequential synth
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 11:27:43 AM »
I am absolutely convinced now that since the Focusrite purchase, Sequential has been delegated to doing "analog only" synths as to not step on Novation (another Focusrite subsidiary). No wavetables, no drum machines, no FM, no samples. Just VCOs and that's it.

Was really hoping we would get a polyphonic VCO and Wavetable synth but I don't think that is going to happen....ever.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 11:40:53 AM »
What a dangerous day today is! Between this and the newest Minimoog reissue, I've gone from "I've got more than enough synths and I can sleep well enough at night" to "Quick, what's the number for the blood bank?" Really like the sound/look/vibe of this one, and it's wonderful to know Dave was involved in its creation. Dangerous day aside, we synth freaks are living in an amazing time...

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 11:46:09 AM »
Goodness gracious, it's a synthesizer avalanche!  We're all going to be reviewing our bank accounts tonight.

Oh, I'm going to be up so late tonight....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 02:19:45 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

jg666

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 11:50:17 AM »
Wow some great announcements today on the day that I've been told my car will probably cost £1,700 to repair - Oh joy !!

I'm liking what I'm hearing from the Trigon-6 on YouTube, it's showing as "price pending" in my usual UK store.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 11:56:13 AM by jg666 »
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 11:58:22 AM »
Wow some great announcements today on the day that I've been told my car will probably cost £1,700 to repair - Oh joy !!

I'm liking what I'm hearing from the Trigon-6 on YouTube, it's showing as "price pending" in my usual UK store.

Sorry to hear about your car. I doubt this helps, but my ex-wife informed me yesterday that I apparently owe nearly €1000 in taxes even though I left Berlin in 2020! Still, synths will always have priority over real life, at least in my dreams!

jg666

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2022, 12:00:51 PM »

Sorry to hear about your car. I doubt this helps, but my ex-wife informed me yesterday that I apparently owe nearly €1000 in taxes even though I left Berlin in 2020! Still, synths will always have priority over real life, at least in my dreams!

:) that's a good way to think about it, thanks for that.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 12:11:43 PM »

Just keep moving, Ant.  Keep changing your address and you'll be okay.

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2022, 12:54:21 PM »
Here are a couple of sounds I did for the Trigon-6:

https://on.soundcloud.com/qbVSr

AlanC

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2022, 12:56:09 PM »
Was really hoping we would get a polyphonic VCO and Wavetable synth but I don't think that is going to happen....ever.

I think it's a bit soon to be saying that.

This is another member of the 6 series: analog voices built from discrete components, knob per function, etc. just like the Prophet-6 and OB-6.

So while you're at it, Sequential, how about a CS-6 in a couple of years? Or maybe a Twenty-6 (Hundred)? ;)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2022, 01:01:40 PM »
This is another member of the 6 series: analog voices built from discrete components, knob per function, etc. just like the Prophet-6 and OB-6.

I would think that's what the "Tri" in Trigon refers to; it's the third instrument in the triangle of six-voice instruments.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 01:07:33 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2022, 02:14:42 PM »
$7499 via my local(ish) store, or $4655 if I go through Thomann.  Either way my wallet is screaming in agony.

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2022, 02:29:24 PM »
$7499 via my local(ish) store, or $4655 if I go through Thomann.  Either way my wallet is screaming in agony.

Yup about $5000 for us Canadians

LPF83

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2022, 04:13:36 PM »

If it makes you feel any better, tomorrow I'm going to be plonking out $1500 just for a set of 4 tires!  :'(
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2022, 05:26:55 PM »

Yup about $5000 for us Canadians

The $7499 I quoted is from Long and McQuade.

edit:  Looks like they took it down from their website.  Maybe the got aa nastygram from Sequential for jumping the gun. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 05:33:25 PM by narkosys »

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2022, 07:49:01 PM »

If it makes you feel any better, tomorrow I'm going to be plonking out $1500 just for a set of 4 tires!  :'(

After getting new tires, I was told I had to buy new brake pads AND rotors, a few months back. Cheaper than getting a new used car I guess, but, maybe not by much.

- Also, looks like the official price of the Trigon-6 is $3500 US (?)

Anyway, I'll keep my Trigon-6 critique short, because I do hope it does well, but I'm seriously underwhelmed by it.
(I can never step back from my Pro3's 4 EGs and the deep Mod Matrix. [-- Blah blah, edit/cut critique...] )

I'll have to keep hoping for some poly Pro33 in a box. -- With overflow(!), so I can connect all 8 of my Pro3s... [cough]

[edit 4: And, I just found the PolyBrute demos. Damn! {even though I could critique that synth too!  :D } - I hope Sequential has a few of these around to see what they would be competing against if they do that "multi-Pro3" I've been hoping for.]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 08:38:09 PM by Elric »
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2022, 08:39:58 PM »
$3500 is actually not as much as I feared it would cost.

I was recalling tonight the not-too-distant past when all of DSI's synthesizers were under $3,000.  I believe I bought my Poly Evolver Keyboard for $2600.  Then the Prophet 12 appeared for $3,000.  And ever since then, it's been up and up and up.  It makes me wonder if the Behringer effect is that certain companies are forced into these higher regions.  I do miss the days when a piece of brand new DSI gear could be bought for only several hundred dollars.  And the astronomical prices of so many new synthesizers make me think twice about avoiding vintage instruments.  The argument that kept me away from them used to be that the maintenance costs would be too high.  But now?  That doesn't seem to be such a bad option.

It is kinda funny that two three-oscillator analog synthesizers were announced on the same day.  Who tried to take the other's thunder away?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 09:40:10 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2022, 09:00:19 PM »

I've been surprised that the destruction of a MAJOR audio chip factory in Japan (right?), by fire, has not been more of a subject in synth circles.

That was Fg HUGE!
Of course, other circumstances contribute too.
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

jg666

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2022, 01:10:15 AM »
I was trying to work out from the limited videos I've seen if the pot values are shown anywhere on any of the displays and I couldn't see anything resembling pot values when one was turned. But it's very difficult to tell because there's only one or two instances where any pot is turned.

AlanC

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2022, 02:22:44 AM »
I would think that's what the "Tri" in Trigon refers to; it's the third instrument in the triangle of six-voice instruments.

"Tri" as a reference to the three oscillators seems more probable?

I like what I'm hearing so far. While it's perhaps not as "Moogy" as I'd expected, it has a nice character of its own just as the OB-6 and P-6 do. That said, Paul Dither got an unmistakeable Polymoog sound out of it. ;D