The Minimoog Model D Returns Again

Sacred Synthesis

« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 10:08:16 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Re: The Minimoog Model D Returns Again
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 10:11:49 AM »
A single voice with no memory.....same price as an OBX8. Absolutely insane.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 10:16:24 AM »

Yup.  And there will be a long line to get one.  I'd be standing in it too, if I could afford it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 11:36:24 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 11:30:55 AM »

Or not. It's a Minimoog. Is what it is, costs what it costs. The OBX8 is fab, but I'm far more drawn to the Minimoog. You can put a price on parts and labor and a price on preference and desire, but there are a million other things in the world that I'd consider far more insane. A gorgeous, iconic synth ain't one of them things!

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 11:34:14 AM »

Or not. It's a Minimoog. Is what it is, costs what it costs. The OBX8 is fab, but I'm far more drawn to the Minimoog. You can put a price on parts and labor and a price on preference and desire, but there are a million other things in the world that I'd consider far more insane. A gorgeous, iconic synth ain't one of them things!

For sure. A brand name goes a long way.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 11:38:38 AM »
But it's not just about a brand name.  It's the real thing, with no Behringer-esque compromises.  The Minimoog is the very definition of iconic.  And it's not all fluff and marketing.  This is a superb musical instrument.  I found if far preferrable to the Voyager.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 12:00:48 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2022, 11:45:45 AM »
But it's not just about a brand name.  It's the real thing, with no Behringer-esque shortcuts.  The Minimoog is the very definition of iconic.  And it's not all fluff and marketing.  This is a superb musical instrument.

Never said it wasn't. I'm simply pointing out that an established brand name goes a long way in regard to price.

jg666

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 11:53:17 AM »
This is showing as out of stock and "very limited stock" in my usual store in the UK for just under £5,300. It's a great and iconic instrument no doubt about that, but it would be an expensive luxury for me and probably wouldn't be used much :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

LPF83

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2022, 04:12:04 PM »
Most likely never happening for me.  I wouldn't mind to own a Model D, assuming the sound of the original is retained, but I actually prefer the sounds that came out of the Multimoog and The Source... aside from those two that come to mind, I don't find myself really seeking out the Minimoog sound.

For bass I tend to prefer punchy sounding envelopes that leave their mark then get out of the way.  I do like all of the other varieties of bass too, but sometimes less is more and I just find myself scooping out some low end anyway.

I did buy the new Mini-D plugin for the Akai MPC (my most recent and quickly becoming one of my most beloved pieces of gear).  I actually like the sound of it better than all of the Model D emulations I've heard (it absolutely crushed the Behringer knock off model D in one vid I watched), and honestly better than most sounds I've heard coming from the real thing.

But we all like what we like... For people heavily into creating vintage funk I can see how this would be a very exciting announcement.  And I reserve the right to change my mind at any time ;).... but I don't see myself paying $5k for any mono synth.  The OB-X8 desktop still tops my wishlist if the price is right.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2022, 08:43:11 PM »
I'd love to have one, but no way.  I'm thankful I grabbed my two Odysseys when I did.  They seem so reasonable by comparison.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 02:32:43 PM »
I was in junior high in Absarokee, Montana. I don't remember the details (this was at least 45 years ago), but we made a trip to Billings (big city!). The destination was Rimrock Mall. I'm not even going to google that ... pretty sure that was the name of the shopping center, but I could be mistaken. That was the day that I bought my first album ever: "Spotlight on the Moog, Kaleidoscopic Vibrations", by Perrey & Kingsley. It was created with the Moog synth and Jenny Ondioline. I bring out and play it every now and then. The needle has just dropped on side 2 ... it is still good. The attached photo (if I figure out attachments) is a pic of the sleeve from that very album. I just pulled it off the shelf and still think it is wonderful. And surprisingly, it is still in very good shape. I loved that album, and the rest of my family quite liked it as well. We played it hundreds of times.

The Minimoog was released a few years later. I've waited long enough. I think my Prophet 6 will welcome a new Model D as good companion.

That Moog-based album produced in me a desire for owning a synthesizer that wasn't fulfilled until I finally bought a Korg keyboard in ~1988. But that was really only a piano (SG-1D). I acquired a Korg Karma early 2000s? My Prophet 6 was my first and so far only analog synth. Definitely time for that missing Moog shaped hole in my life. Then will hopefully follow up with another Sequential, which to me still sound the most musical.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 02:58:57 PM by markwilkins »

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2023, 04:47:21 AM »

Just saw this. Might be my favorite MiniMoog demo.

I'm going to have to watch this back and try some of this on my Pro3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1qlgGb_z7w
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2023, 02:39:14 PM »
I wasn't sure if the "layoffs" thread might be a better place for my question, but I'm going with this thread instead.

I'm reading loads of grumbling about Moog's QC, with a new round of concern now that Moog has been sold.

I'd love to get one of the new Minimoogs, but I'm all out of kidneys for the moment. My question - is there any substantiated difference between the 2016 and 2022 reissues in terms of problems/issues etc?