Line 6 Helix as Synth effects unit....

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Line 6 Helix as Synth effects unit....
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2016, 09:14:46 PM »
Sacred Synthesis will appreciate this....  ;D

It sounds good, but overly mono to me.  I was hoping for at least a decent ping-pong delay.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2016, 10:10:01 AM »
I'm actually thinking a bit about these:

http://www.otomachines.com/products/

They are sort of retro like... but they are pretty much with a knob per function, and they even mix digital and analog like in the old days of early FX units... I found that the reverb actually sounds pretty good.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2016, 11:22:41 AM »
Sacred Synthesis will appreciate this....  ;D

It sounds good, but overly mono to me.  I was hoping for at least a decent ping-pong delay.

This ones got some nice width: https://soundcloud.com/italoop/dig-combs

Shaw

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2016, 09:54:53 PM »
 OK, so after way more thinking than I usually do …  :o     I decided to get the Eclipse. It's on the way. [Reverb is a wonderful place for some deals on these things if anybody else is thinking along those lines]
 I will have some audio demos for you guys shortly.    And I'll try to get a good ping-pong delay for SS.    8)
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2016, 01:36:11 AM »
I am studying electric guitar now to compliment my keyboard skills and I am now ready to add some pedals, starting with a basic clean digital delay (I have an analogue messy one). My guitar teacher always frowns when I insist that gear should work both with the tube amp/guitar and my synths ("can you sync the delay time to a MIDI clock on this one?")

I am considering going with an H9, way overkill for a simple digital delay but with the basic CV/Midi connectivity and headroom to grow for both instruments.

What do you all think?

Shaw

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2016, 06:32:50 AM »
I am studying electric guitar now to compliment my keyboard skills and I am now ready to add some pedals, starting with a basic clean digital delay (I have an analogue messy one). My guitar teacher always frowns when I insist that gear should work both with the tube amp/guitar and my synths ("can you sync the delay time to a MIDI clock on this one?")

I am considering going with an H9, way overkill for a simple digital delay but with the basic CV/Midi connectivity and headroom to grow for both instruments.

What do you all think?
I think that is a perfect choice. Your guitar teacher is frowning because there are lots of great guitar pedals that simply won't play well with line level instruments (synths), but hey, if you find a good one that does, more power to you.  So INSISTING that your pedal works with both means your going to ignore the vast majority of guitar pedals.  But your choice of an H9 is a solid one, for either instrument.

Cheers!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2016, 03:35:21 PM »
I don't have the Helix but I do have a Line 6 HD500 which is a few generations behind and a similar concept.
I also have 3 of the Eventide stomp boxes, the H9 Max, and a lexicon MX400.

My impression is they are not the same thing.
The Line 6 gives you a whole set of effects mainly modelled on classic stomp boxes.  You can have several running at once and you can arrange them in different ways.  Being mainly for guitars (It'll accept Line level as well) there's also umpteen different amp and speaker emulations.

You can set up some pretty sophisticated effects chains for some weird and whacky sounds.  You can also emulate things, I put a string machine through it and it absolutely nailed a JMJ sound from Oxygene.

The Eventide stomp boxes are completely different.  They concentrate on giving you one big "character" effect at a time.
The quality of the effects are indisputable but you pay for them.  The HD500 cost about the same as one of the Eventide stomp boxes.

For the Lexicon I got it ages ago and hooked it up to my mixer.  It's sat there and been used on everything ever since.  The effects aren't as characterful as the Eventide but sometimes you just need to add some non-intrusive reverb or chorus and the Lexicon is good at that.  You can also add a great big reverb on something if you want to, it's pretty good at that too.

FX are a bit like synths, they're all useful but they're good at different things.  They also quite personal, some people really don't seem to like the character the Eventide stuff give you.  The Eventide effects definitely put an imprint in a sound, when I was going through the H9 algorithms I recognised them from music I've heard!  I don't think that's a problem but YMMV.

OTOH the power of the Eventide stuff can be very useful.  The Korg Minilogue doesn't have quite the oomph of some of my other synths.  Put it through the chorus-reverb algorithm and this is no longer a problem!

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2016, 03:54:38 AM »
I must admit that I would love to see an affordable FX box designed around line level synth input. Even the Strymon pedals I have need to be driven relatively gently to avoid any distortion.  Something like an expanded take on the P6/OB6 effects as a standalone box with stereo ins and outs, midi and CV input.

Basically, I would love to hear my P'08 through the P6's FX, particularly the chorus and phasers.

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2016, 11:30:01 PM »
The Line 6 Pod HD Pro X is very similar to the HD 500 but is rack mounted. It works well as a synth FX processor.