EG Filter behaviour

EG Filter behaviour
« on: November 12, 2022, 12:04:31 AM »
I wanted to hear oscillators raw and unfiltered, and realised that in order to let the sound pass through the filter fully, not only the cutoff has to be fully opened, the filter envelope had to be cranked to max as well. If left at 0, there is significant portion of high frequency content that is filtered out (extremely noticable, since oscillator was set to saw).
I wonder if this is by design, or is there an issue with my unit - I would expect that fully open filter cuttoff is enough to let entire freq spectrum through, but that is not the case - if EG is at 0, there is still some filtering in high freq content.

Re: EG Filter behaviour
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 07:37:29 AM »
That's just the way the P5 works. My rev 4 does what you describe as does my wife's rev 3. Meanwhile, ain't the oscillators "raw and unfiltered" a fine sounding sound?

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 11:08:36 AM »
I wanted to hear oscillators raw and unfiltered, and realised that in order to let the sound pass through the filter fully, not only the cutoff has to be fully opened, the filter envelope had to be cranked to max as well. If left at 0, there is significant portion of high frequency content that is filtered out (extremely noticable, since oscillator was set to saw).
I wonder if this is by design, or is there an issue with my unit - I would expect that fully open filter cuttoff is enough to let entire freq spectrum through, but that is not the case - if EG is at 0, there is still some filtering in high freq content.

On subtractive synths, I always regard the cutoff knob as "minimum cutoff value" and the env amount knob as "maximum cutoff value".  Two different knobs that serve different purposes.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 01:23:57 PM »
That's just the way the P5 works. My rev 4 does what you describe as does my wife's rev 3. Meanwhile, ain't the oscillators "raw and unfiltered" a fine sounding sound?
Absolutely, its a monster sound. One of the things that make this instrument so powerful.
Thanks for the input. I had rev 3 in my studio many years ago but i don't remember this exact functionality.