Excessive chassis flex OB-6

Excessive chassis flex OB-6
« on: August 07, 2016, 06:09:26 AM »
Hello,

I just received my OB-6 with serial 01269. I am loving the sound, but I noticed that the chassis flexes excessively, almost 10mm vertically. This is much more than any of my other boards, even with 61 or 88 keys. The chassis creaks and the metal encasing of the mod wheels has already started scratching the paint on the underlying metal front.

Does anybody else have the same issue?

Thanks,
Steve Nagy

Shaw

Re: Excessive chassis flex OB-6
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 06:23:45 AM »
Hello,

I just received my OB-6 with serial 01269. I am loving the sound, but I noticed that the chassis flexes excessively, almost 10mm vertically. This is much more than any of my other boards, even with 61 or 88 keys. The chassis creaks and the metal encasing of the mod wheels has already started scratching the paint on the underlying metal front.

Thanks,
Steve Nagy

I don't notice anything like that with mine... Not sure that this would help, but have you checked to make sure all of the screws are tightened down??? 
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 10:10:41 AM »
Yes, the same here, if I lift one corner of the OB (that lay on the table) it will lift but only THAT corner lift not the other...so the keyboard bend on the long axis

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 01:24:20 PM »
Hello,

Thanks,
Steve Nagy

I don't notice anything like that with mine... Not sure that this would help, but have you checked to make sure all of the screws are tightened down???

Well, I could do that, but I do not want to start screwing around (pun intended) with a brand new instrument. I might scratch the screw heads or something like that.

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 01:28:59 PM »
Yes, the same here, if I lift one corner of the OB (that lay on the table) it will lift but only THAT corner lift not the other...so the keyboard bend on the long axis

That is what I am getting here. Not very confidence-inspiring for a 3000 dollar rig. I have a 34-year old Juno 60, which is much longer, that doesn't flex anything like that.

Are you getting creaks and scratching of the black paint where the two metal parts touch too? Have you spoken to anyone at DSI about this?

Love the sound of this thing to death, but I am not very impressed with the build quality, especially considering the considerable weight.

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 04:36:18 PM »
Hmm - the OB-6 definitely weighs much less than my Roland HS-60 (Juno-106S, with speakers) and, by memory, the Oberheim Matrix-6 keyboard, so–lacking a transformer inside–I wouldn't expect there to be much to reinforce for ... or am I missing something?

I don't see torsional flex as a bad thing in something that's eminently lightweight–but I'd be very concerned if it was something heavier and bulkier, e.g., an OB-Xa (which I have seen).

AFAIK, the construction is similar to my Mopho SE.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 04:40:14 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 10:54:59 AM »
Same here...  :( Has anybody disassembled the keyboard ? Maybe there's a workaround to tighten the chassis.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 10:57:48 AM by slamblambacid »

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 04:01:56 PM »
Rest assured there's nothing wrong with the chassis. The synth isn't made to be lifted on one end with one hand only, so as long as you use two hands to pick it up and move it there won't be an issue. If it really bugs you I suppose you might be able to figure something out if you're willing to drill into the chassis and attach more fasteners somewhere, but we haven't received complaints of chassis flex being a problem.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 09:22:32 PM »
That might bug me too. Excessive flexing of the synth body. Only synth I've ever owned that had noticeable flex was the Nord Lead 2. Glad I got the OB-6 Desktop...Damn thing is built like a teamsters toolbox from the 40s. Beautiful piece of work people!
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)