Real Parameter Display on Prophet 08?

Real Parameter Display on Prophet 08?
« on: August 06, 2016, 02:17:10 PM »
Hi all

On my Moog Voyager, I can choose the option of Real Parameter Display, where the synth will play the sound as per the physical setting of the knobs in that moment.

Does the Prophet 08 have anything similar?

– Alex

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Real Parameter Display on Prophet 08?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 02:48:09 PM »
Unfortunately, no.  You'd have to move every parameter to have the panel display a patch.  And yet, even this wouldn't help with some parameters, such as the LFOs.  You might prefer the Prophet-6.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 02:51:47 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 11:03:17 PM »
Unfortunately, no.  You'd have to move every parameter to have the panel display a patch.  And yet, even this wouldn't help with some parameters, such as the LFOs.  You might prefer the Prophet-6.

Ah okay, thats too bad. I got a Juno 6, that has no memory, and therefore, whenever I turn it on, the sound matches the parameters. I have grown to appreciate that quite a bit. But then again, I dont play live, so I have the time to sit and fiddle with it.

Dont know if I would prefer the Prophet 6 though. To me, they are very close in sound, and in a mix, I am still not sure I could pick out if I was listening to a Prophet 6 or 08. I am very fond of my 08 – its a nice instrument :-)

Thanks for the response!

– Alex

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 07:24:21 AM »
Oh, please don't take my comments as discouraging your liking of the Prophet '08.  I only referred to the Prophet-6 for the live/real mode issue.

I know what you mean about the Juno 6.  I, too, have wanted a non-programmable instrument for quite a while.  I've had a few in the past.  They help you to feel like you've got a musical instrument under your hands, rather than a computer.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 04:16:28 AM »
I didn't, dont worry :-) I will definitely look more into the Prophet 6. I am just not sure that the difference in sound is worth all that money. And again - in a mix, can anybody differ a Prophet 6 from a 08?

And I totally agree with the assessment of why its nice to have a instrument without presets. I am actually contemplating swapping my Voyager Select for a Old School model. Just can't find any takers ;-)

– Alex

Oh, please don't take my comments as discouraging your liking of the Prophet '08.  I only referred to the Prophet-6 for the live/real mode issue.

I know what you mean about the Juno 6.  I, too, have wanted a non-programmable instrument for quite a while.  I've had a few in the past.  They help you to feel like you've got a musical instrument under your hands, rather than a computer.

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 05:03:25 AM »
Turn on "Front Panel" mode on your voyager and forget all about presets!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 07:22:32 AM »
I will definitely look more into the Prophet 6.  I am just not sure that the difference in sound is worth all that money. And again - in a mix, can anybody differ a Prophet 6 from a 08?

I agree.  And there are many things that are lost in going from a P'08 to a P-6.  The question is: Is what you would gain in a P-6 important enough to you?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 07:28:12 AM by Sacred Synthesis »