Separate MIDI channels for Layer A and Layer B?

Separate MIDI channels for Layer A and Layer B?
« on: October 28, 2022, 03:00:21 PM »
Is there any way to configure the synth so that Layer A receives from one MIDI channel while Layer B receives from a different MIDI channel?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Re: Separate MIDI channels for Layer A and Layer B?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2022, 10:49:56 PM »
Yes.  It's called "Multi Mode" which can be turned on in Global Settings.  It's described on page 123 of the revision of the manual I have handy, on the second page of the Global Settings section.

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 05:17:08 PM »
Yes, I'd read that.  But it refers to voice numbers and I was not sure that the voice numbers were divided at the layer, just that half were controlled by one channel and half by another.  Particularly confusing to me is the last paragraph of the description "...Only Layer A of the selected program is loaded."  and  "Program Layer B data is completely ignored in Multi Mode."

I've been experimenting with Multi Mode since acquiring a Keystep Pro and have not had much luck.  Thus my message.  I'll continue trying but if you (or anyone else) could offer some guidance it would be very appreciated!

Thanks for all you do to support the PX!

Mike

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 03:15:40 PM »
Yes, I'd read that.  But it refers to voice numbers and I was not sure that the voice numbers were divided at the layer, just that half were controlled by one channel and half by another.

That's correct.  It's true of both split and multi modes - half the voices are always allocated to each layer.

Particularly confusing to me is the last paragraph of the description "...Only Layer A of the selected program is loaded."  and  "Program Layer B data is completely ignored in Multi Mode."

I don't see that in either the version of the manual I was referencing or the version that's currently available from the Sequential support site.  You might want to download the latest manual to check the current description.

I haven't used multi-mode much but I did test it out when I first got the instrument.  I filed one bug (if the base channel was 16 then layer B was played on channel 2 rather than the expected channel 1.)  I can't remember if it was fixed, but then it's something of an edge case.

Thanks for all you do to support the PX!

I'm happy to help where I can and when I have time.  Obviously the instrument spoke to me, and I enjoy seeing others use it to its full potential.

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2022, 08:29:29 PM »
Multi Mode works fine for me. Essentially whatever channel you set the synth to will be played on Layer A and Layer B will be the next channel. I believe it's the same on the REV2 as well. I've sequenced both channels independently before from my ISLA S2400 and there's been no issues.