New Synclavier

New Synclavier
« on: October 28, 2022, 12:46:50 PM »
BOOM

LPF83

Re: New Synclavier
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 05:09:33 AM »
IMHO it seems pricey at $2.5k.

35 years after owning my first additive synth (Kawai K5), I basically came to conclusion that when sculpting individual harmonics, I'd prefer to use a mouse, because hardware interfaces for additive synthesis tend to be cumbersome.  I appreciate they did at least take steps to address this on the Regen, and yes if exploring experimental timbres is the goal there will be some fun to be had there.  But I think folks are going to want a good plugin editor to make the most of it.

Granted, that's one feature of the synth and not the only one, but I think the editor may also prove to be essential with regard to getting samples into it and I haven't seen where they've even announced one, or committed to features like resynthesis.  There's a sample Loopop shows of a resynthsized trombone which seems to hint it might be there one day, but reviews of synths with incomplete feature sets is not really my cup of joe and reminds me of another company I'm not a fan of.

Who knows, maybe in time, with a completed feature set, I'll have a very different opinion of this synth?
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Shaw

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 09:21:48 AM »
I’d love to see a software editor and MPE support at the least.  But this looks (and sounds) very interesting.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 11:29:43 AM »
I’d love to see a software editor and MPE support at the least.  But this looks (and sounds) very interesting.

I guess maybe I need to play around with the Arturia Synclavier V plugin to learn how I get along with the sound.  According to Synclavier both the plugin and this box run the same DSP code from the original (ported to C).  I would imagine the hardware saves a lot of CPU and may potentially sound a little better, but the plugin features seem compelling (and better yet I already own it since I own the V collection).  I just never had a reason to put much time into it until now.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 05:39:31 AM »

It supports MPE according to this video

Shaw

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 07:04:58 AM »

Thanks for the video… I figured it would support MPE (digital, multi timbrai… how hard would MPE support be to implement in such a synth?)… can’t wait to hear more sounds and get the manual to read.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 09:35:27 AM »

Thanks for the video… I figured it would support MPE (digital, multi timbrai… how hard would MPE support be to implement in such a synth?)… can’t wait to hear more sounds and get the manual to read.

I think it just needs a few firmware tweaks it'll be a strong contender for me.

MIDI clock sync for the arpeggiator as well as more modes/latch capabilities for the arp.

Resynthesis for samples.

Multi-track sequencer. Yes, you can import MIDI files to play back or sequence externally, but a 12 track MIDI sequencer shouldn't be hard to implement given the proposed CPU power and I think would really round out the capabilities of the machine.